• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF changes policy on on-campus alcohol sales

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

USF changes policy on on-campus alcohol sales

Reported by: Chad Cookler

Email: ccookler@abcactionnews.com

Last Update: 4:30 pm 

(Stephen Cummings, Creative Commons 2.0) TAMPA, FL -- Students and staff members who want to get a beer on campus will now have to wait a bit longer to do so.

Starting today the Beef O' Brady's restaurant that recently opened inside the Marshall Student Center on USF's campus will not serve alcohol until after 6 pm during the week, university officials announced.

Alcohol will be served during all operating hours on the weekends, however.

According to Vice President of Communications Mike Hoad, an attorney for the university made administrators aware of a pre-existing rule that did not allow students or staff to consume alcohol before going to class or reporting to work.

That rule was passed in 1993, three years after the last restaurant that served alcohol on campus closed down.

Some officials had expressed concern about what to do about staff members having a drink at lunch, and then returning to work, Hoad said.

While Hoad conceded there were nighttime classes, as well as some employees who worked on Saturdays, he said this was a reasonable way to enforce the '93 rule while allowing alcohol to be served on campus. 

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ac5d0242-db6d-456b-a2bd-d1014c60d13d

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Really really dumb - not so much the end result, as not serving alcohol on weekdays until 6 pm is probably a good idea - but the rational.  I mean the rule is not uncommon in the workplace and applies regardless of if you go off-campus or stay on-campus.  It is up to an individual to know if they have any more classes or are returning to work.

• Content Count:  1,251

honestly im very very pissed about about this......i really liked being able to have a drink before my 5 o clock class.....it breaks up my day nicely but this is bull ****

• Content Count:  138

I'm not gonna lie, I feel I learn a lot more with a few belts in me... :drinkup

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

honestly im very very pissed about about this......i really liked being able to have a drink before my 5 o clock class.....it breaks up my day nicely but this is bull ****

Just bring a cooler with a few in it.  You're allowed to drink on campus.  Just not at Beef's until 6.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

lame rule... if professors really wanted to they could  get as wasted as they want without going to beefs.  students could do the same. why not serve beer at beefs before 6?

doesn't make sense. change the 15 year old rule.

• Content Count:  1,478

I'm not sure you're even allowed to drink on campus unless youre inside. I went to an outdoor event with 12 pack and had it taken from me (yes im 21)

• Content Count:  201

I bet Beefs is pretty pissed as well, all of last week you couldnt get a table without waiting at the very least 10 or 15 minutes. Now, after just walking through it, it's pretty much dead

Archived