• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU sportswriter laughed when he heard USF or Pitt may finish above WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

We'll see. I'm not sold on either of those teams as being better than West Virginia.

I'd say we've gone out and proved we're better then them on the field. Did we fall on our face last year? Yes. But we've proved head-to-head that we're better then them 2 years in a row

One could argue that WVU fell on their face harder than USF.  They choked at the worst possible moment and gave up a shot at the NC versus a crappy Ohio State team.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

The Mountaineers return the best player in the Big East, if not the country in quarterback Pat White.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

except when playing USF!

we are the creptonite to their superman.

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

I can tell you this guy has issues. He's a jew who chose to live in Morgantown.

• Content Count:  339

Lost all credibility when he writes that they lose 7 starters on defense, but will be better this year?!?! are you kidding me?  They had a good defense last year.  It's not like they lost a bunch of chumps.  Their defense will be much much worse this year.  USF will dominate their defense.  So will PITT (probably).

• Content Count:  573

He's got his panties in a bunch...waaaay up there.

• Content Count:  5,241

This is why he's a sports writer in morgantown.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Print this story

Some People Never Learn

Shawn Falkenstein

Morgantown, W.Va.

What is it with these people?

Will they never learn?

Didn't a 48-28 trouncing of Oklahoma tell them anything?

Apparently not.

Despite West Virginia's overwhelming selection to win the Big East by the sportswriters who actually cover the league the national pundits seem determined to crown either Pitt or South Florida as the team to beat in the Big East.

It almost makes you laugh.

Actually I did laugh when I watched ESPN's Lou Holtz and Mark May select USF and Pitt, respectively, to win the Big East.

And you guys wonder why I don't watch ESPN anymore.

For one reason, their "experts" aren't really experts on anything more than running their mouths and they never, EVER admit when they are wrong...I'm looking at you Corso. At least three touchdowns right?

ahem.

However, I will give Corso credit for saying West Virginia is the team to beat in the Big East back in the Spring, but I think since then he's changed his tune and picked South Florida. And I anticipate he and the others will change their picks a few more times before it's all said and done and if West Virginia does win the Big East they will all swear they knew it would happen all along.

Yes USF has beaten West Virginia two years in a row, but they fell apart late in the season each of the last two years. Last year the Bulls dropped three in a row--to Rutgers, Cincinnati and Connecticut--after being ranked second in the country.

Pitt was 5-7 last season and missed out on a bowl game...again. Admittedly the Panthers have the best running back in the league in LaSean McCoy, and the leading tackler from last season in Scott McKillop, but they also return just about everybody else. Yes they will be better, but can they be four or five games better?

We'll see. I'm not sold on either of those teams as being better than West Virginia. The Mountaineers return the best player in the Big East, if not the country in quarterback Pat White. They replace Steve Slaton with Noel Devine who appears to be every bit as good. The entire offensive line returns and may be the best in the nation. They replace Darius Reynaud with Jock Sanders and Bradley Starks who are every bit as elusive and fast as Reynaud. On defense the Mountaineers lose seven starters but may be better than last year's squad that finished in the top ten. Leading tacklers Reed Williams and Mortty Ivy returned and are joind by J.T Thomas who has a great Fiesta Bowl. The defensive line which saw the departure of Keilen Dykes and Johnny Dingle has been solidifed with the return of Pat Leibig and the move of Zac Cooper from linebacker to defensive end. The only question may be the secondary which features mainly new faces.

Having said all that, I look at teams ranked ahead of West Virginia like Oklahoma and USC and I see a lot more losses in the off season. I have no doubt that those teams will be excellent this years, but I also am not dismissing the Mountaineers.

The "experts" want any excuse to pan West Virginia's selection of Bill Stewart as head coach and are just drooling over the opportunity so much that they are letting their hearts get in the way of their brains. But what else is new? Any good Mountaineer fan can see the obvious bias ESPN, in particular, has against West Virginia. It's no secret that they hate the Big East and in particular West Virginia despite the fact that the Mountaineers deliver them record-breaking audiences every time they put them on TV.

Even a dismantling of Oklahoma wasn't enough to sway their opinions. Nearly every "expert" picked Oklahoma and they picked the Sooners to win big. But I haven't heard one of them give any credit to West Virginia for the win. I've only heard excuses for the Sooners.

That's fine. We West Virginians are used to being overlooked and underappreciated. We thrive on the lack of respect and you can be sure that Stewart, White, Williams and the gang will only use it as motivation to go out and prove all the "experts" wrong once again.

If you have any questions, comments or story ideas please e-mail Shawn at shawn@wvradio.com

Print this story

Some People Never Learn

Shawn Falkenstein

Morgantown, W.Va.

Will they never learn?

Apparently not.

Despite West Virginia's overwhelming selection to win the Big East by the sportswriters who actually cover the league the national pundits seem determined to crown either Pitt or South Florida as the team to beat in the Big East.

Actually I did laugh when I watched ESPN's Lou Holtz and Mark May select USF and Pitt, respectively, to win the Big East.

For one reason, their "experts" aren't really experts on anything more than running their mouths and they never, EVER admit when they are wrong...I'm looking at you Corso. At least three touchdowns right?

ahem.

However, I will give Corso credit for saying West Virginia is the team to beat in the Big East back in the Spring, but I think since then he's changed his tune and picked South Florida. And I anticipate he and the others will change their picks a few more times before it's all said and done and if West Virginia does win the Big East they will all swear they knew it would happen all along.

Yes USF has beaten West Virginia two years in a row, but they fell apart late in the season each of the last two years. Last year the Bulls dropped three in a row--to Rutgers, Cincinnati and Connecticut--after being ranked second in the country.

Pitt was 5-7 last season and missed out on a bowl game...again. Admittedly the Panthers have the best running back in the league in LaSean McCoy, and the leading tackler from last season in Scott McKillop, but they also return just about everybody else. Yes they will be better, but can they be four or five games better?

We'll see. I'm not sold on either of those teams as being better than West Virginia. The Mountaineers return the best player in the Big East, if not the country in quarterback Pat White. They replace Steve Slaton with Noel Devine who appears to be every bit as good. The entire offensive line returns and may be the best in the nation. They replace Darius Reynaud with Jock Sanders and Bradley Starks who are every bit as elusive and fast as Reynaud. On defense the Mountaineers lose seven starters but may be better than last year's squad that finished in the top ten. Leading tacklers Reed Williams and Mortty Ivy returned and are joind by J.T Thomas who has a great Fiesta Bowl. The defensive line which saw the departure of Keilen Dykes and Johnny Dingle has been solidifed with the return of Pat Leibig and the move of Zac Cooper from linebacker to defensive end. The only question may be the secondary which features mainly new faces.

Having said all that, I look at teams ranked ahead of West Virginia like Oklahoma and USC and I see a lot more losses in the off season. I have no doubt that those teams will be excellent this years, but I also am not dismissing the Mountaineers.

The "experts" want any excuse to pan West Virginia's selection of Bill Stewart as head coach and are just drooling over the opportunity so much that they are letting their hearts get in the way of their brains. But what else is new? Any good Mountaineer fan can see the obvious bias ESPN, in particular, has against West Virginia. It's no secret that they hate the Big East and in particular West Virginia despite the fact that the Mountaineers deliver them record-breaking audiences every time they put them on TV.

Even a dismantling of Oklahoma wasn't enough to sway their opinions. Nearly every "expert" picked Oklahoma and they picked the Sooners to win big. But I haven't heard one of them give any credit to West Virginia for the win. I've only heard excuses for the Sooners.

That's fine. We West Virginians are used to being overlooked and underappreciated. We thrive on the lack of respect and you can be sure that Stewart, White, Williams and the gang will only use it as motivation to go out and prove all the "experts" wrong once again.

If you have any questions, comments or story ideas please e-mail Shawn at shawn@wvradio.com

Print this story

Some People Never Learn

Shawn Falkenstein

Morgantown, W.Va.

Will they never learn?

Apparently not.

ahem.

http://www.wvmetronews.com/sports.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=25976&type=Shawn

as they should

\

it hasnt happened yet

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

I can't wait to run Mike Ford up their butts.

• Content Count:  1,297

^^^^^^^^Or Taylor.

This guy is a blow hard.  WV will not finish in the top 3 this year. 

You heard it here first.  Or maybe not.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I laughed, too.  I thought Cincinnati was gonna be ranked ahead of them, too.

Hey, Boss!!!  They missed a team!!!!  Makes ME laugh!!!

Archived