• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Depth Chart for Tenn Martin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

If you look to last season, there were some suprises for the Auburn game...I suspect this is something simlar. They publish a depth chart, but that doesnt mean it tells the entire story.

yep.  there will be A LOT of non-injury related shifting in this depth chart as the season goes along.

can anyone find the official depth chart that was published for the Elon game last year?  I bet its pretty interesting compared to amount of playing time received. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,266

bogan and richardson have the same number....hmmmmmm

edit:  TJ has only started 5 games??  thats crazy

richardson wears 80, bogan 81.

and folks...this is why he edited the USF gameday program.  ;D

Greg, i think you just saved 100 people from rushing in a panic to make a roster edit on NCAA 2009.

• Content Count:  1,266

richardson wears 80, bogan 81.

that was fast greg, impressive

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Why is Pupello #2 on the depth chart at TE? His player bio says that he will sit out 2008 season due to transfer rules. Is he eligible or not?

Why is Pupello #2 on the depth chart at TE? His player bio says that he will sit out 2008 season due to transfer rules. Is he eligible or not?

the BIO is from Feb and the 2 deep is from today.  He is eligible.  got a hardship waiver.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Greg is on a roll.  ;D

August 24, 2008

Lineup shows much more experience for USF

Was going to tack this onto the previous post, but then decided I had enough for a post of its own: Looking at USF's opening-week depth chart, you can see just how much more experience the Bulls have compared to a year ago.

First, I looked at the starting lineups just based on what year the players were. For all the talk about the team's youth, the 24 players listed as starters on offense or defense include 13 seniors, seven juniors and just four sophomores. Compare that to the opening-week depth chart last year -- the offense/defense starters were eight seniors, nine juniors, six sophomores and two redshirt freshmen.

So if you assess a point value for each year (5=senior, 4=junior, 3=sophomore, 2=redshirt freshman, 1=freshman), then the average starter this season is 4.38; a year ago, that average is 3.92, so the starting lineup is almost a half-year older across the board. That experience bodes well for this season, but also means the Bulls will get hit hard by graduation -- even harder if you think about a junior or two who could leave for the NFL Draft after this season.

Then I looked at the lineup a second way: in career starts entering the season. A year ago, USF's offensive starters totaled just 88 career starts, while the defense had an impressive 153. This year, those numbers are way up. The offense, returning nearly intact, has 176 career starts -- exactly twice as much starting experience -- while the defense, despite losing three extremely experienced starters, is at 140 career starts. (If you replace Kion Wilson with Danny Verpaele, as USF will often do in passing situations, that number jumps to 152, within one of last year's total).

Or look at it like this: Last year, entering the first game, USF's offense had one player with more than 13 career starts -- Walt Walker, with 22. This year? There are seven with more than 13 starts: Matt Grothe (25), Marcus Edwards (23), Ben Williams (22), Marc Dile (20), Cedric Hill (18), Ryan Schmidt (18) and Jake Griffin (15). (Matt Huners and Zach Hermann also have 13 each). The total starts could be even higher -- right now, USF is counting A.J. Love and Jamar Taylor, with one career start between them, instead of Carlton Mitchell and Mike Ford, who combine for 11.

On defense, Ben Moffitt, Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams combined for 89 career starts entering last season; despite losing those three, there's a comparable number of total career starts on the starting defense. Carlton Williams leads the way with 34, followed by George Selvie (26), Tyrone McKenzie (24), Aaron Harris (15), Jarriett Buie (14), Nate Allen (13) and Brouce Mompremier (12). Then again, the other four defensive starters combine for two starts, so there's still inexperience on the field.

OK, I'm done crunching numbers for the night. And I'm behind on the position breakdowns, so you might see two of those in one day some this week. I count 16 new followers just today on Twitter.com, so thanks for the strong showing there ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 9:56:05 PM on August 24, 2008 | Permalink | Comments (0)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

the BIO is from Feb and the 2 deep is from today.  He is eligible.  got a hardship waiver.

Thanks for clarifying

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

K 25 Delbert Alvarado  6-0 196 Jr. 21 On pace to be the best place kicker in USF history

I'm sure there's a lot of people who wouldn't know that. I know I personally didn't, but with his inconsistencies it's odd to see that fact. Who woulda guessed?

Archived