• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Devil's Advocate time.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Did Plancher show signs of distress?

O'Leary told the Sentinel he saw Plancher get up after falling during the final sprints. UCF running backs coach and offensive coordinator Tim Salem said he saw no signs that Plancher was struggling. "When he was coming through my station, he actually was passing people," Salem said. The four players, however, said Plancher was woozy and staggering during the final portion of the drills, and that they alerted UCF staff to this before the workout was finished. The four players said Plancher fell during the final sprint, and members of the UCF coaching staff yelled at him to finish the drill. The players said O'Leary singled out Plancher and cursed at him for lack of effort. "That's some [expletive] from you, son," all four players said they recall the coach saying. O'Leary has denied those claims, but he did tell the Sentinel through a spokesman in April that he recalled telling people around him, "He's better than that."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-ucfside0208aug02,0,7236704.story

This will be the key to this case.

If you believe the players that Plancher was severely struggling and that O'Liar and company yelled at the poor kid toward the end of the session, then UCif most definitely had a directly role in the kid's death and ignored all the standard best practices for dealing with kids with the sickle cell trait. UCF's coaches either forgot Plancher's condition when they were getting on him and ignoring his symptoms or at worst....simply didn't care.

If this line of reasoning is true.....why have only FOUR PLAYERS stood up? Wouldn't you think that if what happened above was witnessed by more than 4 players? Shouldn't this have caused an UPROAR? Are these 4 players spokesman for other players on the team who are afraid to speak up....or are the rest of the players who witnessed this thing unfold, so gutless and weak of mind that they are afraid to speak out? Are they afraid of retaliation?

I don't buy into the UCiF//O'Liar  conspiracy that the Sentinel made up the fact four players came to them. That is really an absurd proposition. However, I think its human nature for people to stand up for what is right, and speak out when you see injustice or a misrepresentation of the facts. If only 4 players are willing to stand up to GOL and tell the truth....it doesn't say much for the rest of the team. They are gutless and have no heart. If this is true, they are going to tank this season b/c you can't win game when you don't have any guts. It will be interesting to see how UCF handles adversity this year. They may fold like a cheap suit in game one.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Did Plancher show signs of distress?

O'Leary told the Sentinel he saw Plancher get up after falling during the final sprints. UCF running backs coach and offensive coordinator Tim Salem said he saw no signs that Plancher was struggling. "When he was coming through my station, he actually was passing people," Salem said. The four players, however, said Plancher was woozy and staggering during the final portion of the drills, and that they alerted UCF staff to this before the workout was finished. The four players said Plancher fell during the final sprint, and members of the UCF coaching staff yelled at him to finish the drill. The players said O'Leary singled out Plancher and cursed at him for lack of effort. "That's some [expletive] from you, son," all four players said they recall the coach saying. O'Leary has denied those claims, but he did tell the Sentinel through a spokesman in April that he recalled telling people around him, "He's better than that."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-ucfside0208aug02,0,7236704.story

This will be the key to this case.

If you believe the players that Plancher was severely struggling and that O'Liar and company yelled at the poor kid toward the end of the session, then UCif most definitely had a directly role in the kid's death and ignored all the standard best practices for dealing with kids with the sickle cell trait. UCF's coaches either forgot Plancher's condition when they were getting on him and ignoring his symptoms or at worst....simply didn't care.

If this line of reasoning is true.....why have only FOUR PLAYERS stood up? Wouldn't you think that if what happened above was witnessed by more than 4 players? Shouldn't this have caused an UPROAR? Are these 4 players spokesman for other players on the team who are afraid to speak up....or are the rest of the players who witnessed this thing unfold, so gutless and weak of mind that they are afraid to speak out? Are they afraid of retaliation?

I don't buy into the UCiF//O'Liar  conspiracy that the Sentinel made up the fact four players came to them. That is really an absurd proposition. However, I think its human nature for people to stand up for what is right, and speak out when you see injustice or a misrepresentation of the facts. If only 4 players are willing to stand up to GOL and tell the truth....it doesn't say much for the rest of the team. They are gutless and have no heart. If this is true, they are going to tank this season b/c you can't win game when you don't have any guts. It will be interesting to see how UCF handles adversity this year. They may fold like a cheap suit in game one.

Come on Cyber why label players or individuals when you don't know the circumstances.  Remember what are these kids suppose to do?  In this case who do they talk to?  It's like telling the Warden the guards are mean....do they really expect sympathy?  Perhaps it was the Sentinel that sought these kids out or rather while on campus, trying to dig, a few players brought them aside and gave them the business.   

Remember many of these kids are receiving a scholarship from UCF, and few want to jeopardize it.  I think the point is why would the sentinel have to poll every player anyway?  I am sure if they spoke to them all most would give the same run down as these four so why subject them all to potential ridicule?  Four is more than plenty to corroborate a story.  If it was one guy or the former player bit, then it's sensationalizing, but four players is now talking issue.  Also, don't forget is after wind of the four players came UCF went into lockdown mode and had meetings with their players.  You can bet there were no hugs, and tears in that meeting so they were probably ordered not to speak with the media or suffer a wrath.  Given that I can understand why to this point we only have four players.

Also, remember if four guys spoke to the Sentinel there is a good chance they were talking on behalf of many others.  Perhaps after the incident and the players had a chance to soak everything in they probably were up at night talking- like players on a team do.  I am sure the four players came forward because they realized it bothered many of their peers and felt compelled to talk.  Personally if 4-5 blow the whistle, that means to me about 20-25 all agree with those guys, and those 4 were speaking on behalf of, or in conjunction with, or because of discussions between larger groups. 

But you are right, if 4 are coming forward then you're talking about 25% of the team that has a problem with the staff's actions.  In any adversity situation I think you are right that you can expect a meltdown.  They will not want to battle hard for these guys.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

Did it ever say how many players were participating in the drill?

Archived