• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2008 silent verbal?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

yes, it appears so...  he's at a community college, so he wouldn't have to sit.

• Content Count:  111
  • Days Won:  0

Awesome! Could anyone find a profile with a star ranking on him from rivals or scout, I searched both and got nothing.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Awesome! Could anyone find a profile with a star ranking on him from rivals or scout, I searched both and got nothing.

See Mama's post above for the Scout link. He was a 2 Star coming out of HS, but apparently, he did quite well in the JUCO's. Got to love having more bodies for the upcoming season.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It's great to see the Jefferson HS players like Anthony Jones and Trent Pupello reunited here with their old head coach. Now, if we can only get Daron Rose to follow them, that would become a winning trifecta.  ;D 

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=2&nid=13438&yr=2005

Picture of Anthony Jones with coach Mike Simmonds on signing day.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2672659190085217641DIzdvj

Picture of the Jefferson signing class.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2836810820085217641wiNtBZ

The only reason why he was a two star HS recruit was because schools were concerned about his academics and that he probably would not qualify, which ended up being the case:

Ram football hoping Florida is fountain of youth

by Joel Cantalamessa

Managing Editor

Feb 17, 2006

anthonyJones001.jpg

Anthony Jones

Jones (6-2, 290 lb), from Tampa's Jefferson High School, was the Rams' final commitment. Jones collected 70 tackles and 8.5 sacks his senior season, which was preceded by 50 tackles and 10 sacks during his junior campaign. Marc Lubick first got the tip about Jones from his brother Matt, CSU's former recruiting coordinator who is now at Ole Miss, who was also recruiting Jones. However, Ole Miss filled up at the defensive tackle position in early January and could no longer offer Jones a scholarship. CSU then had to battle strong pushes from San Diego State and Southern Miss who were going hard after Jones.

"My dad talked with (Jones) a couple times and developed a pretty good relationship with him," Marc said. "We flew him out here as quick as we could, and me and my dad went down there to meet his folks, which is good, and we just snatched him."

"With his size and height, and athletic ability, he is a guy that is tough to find," Marc Lubick said. "Defensive tackles like that are tough to find. (Tampa Jefferson) had nine guys sign Division I from that school. A lot of coaches were in there, but it's tough for them to get them all. So, we kind of lucked out there. We probably showed the most interest in Anthony, and that's why he came here."

Marc Lubick paid Jones a visit in mid-December and during a subsequent "dead period" the coaches double-checked to see where they stood with number of scholarships and positions of need. The staff labeled Jones the No. 1 guy remaining on the board, and made it a priority to get him.

"He was definitely a guy -- especially with our situation and where we're at D tackle-wise -- he's a guy who could come in here and possibly if things work out right to contribute his first season," Marc Lubick said.

The one downside to Jones, which could have warded off other schools from giving him a harder look, is that he still has some school work to do to qualify. But, Lubick said he doesn't feel it will be a problem.

"We have confidence in him and he's taking all the right steps, and I think he has a very good chance to be eligible. So, that's why we offered him a scholarship, but it must have scared some other schools away."

http://www.ramnation.com/news_archive/showArticle-1676.php

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Thats great news, can never have enough big men for either line. Actually wish he was for the Oline though but oh well.

Thats great news, can never have enough big men for either line. Actually wish he was for the Oline though but oh well.

If he pans out, that will give us flexibility in moving someone else from DL to OL.

Archived