• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

mike Jenkins will be on HBO

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

As a cowboy fan that passes time reading dallas sports news outlets . . . . I can tell you that the consensus has been that Jenkins has been underwhelming.

If your a sensitive bulls fan I suggest you follow mike at dallascowboys.com (state ran newspaper).  At least there they abstain from calling Mike out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Oh My God-News Flash-Rookie doesn't look good in training camp, he must be a BUST!  For pete's sake, its training camp!  Most rookies don't look good, give it some time. 

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Jenkins is also playing up a step or two because Terence Newman is injured right now.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

If there is some negative news to talk about out there for USF sports, you can always count on good old Steve-o to sniff it out and give us his crappy take in whatever sentence fragments and mispelled garbage his tiny little hands can type into his blackberry as he sits in the ambulance bay.

he looked really bad.  too bad smazza doesnt wake up every morning worshipping the ground football players walk on.

watch the show.  he got shook out of his pants on one and allowed a TD on another.

Im sure steve would like to see usf players do well in the nfl just like the rest of us.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

he was bashed by his position coach

i have high school kids that dont look as bad as he did

• Content Count:  4,016

If there is some negative news to talk about out there for USF sports, you can always count on good old Steve-o to sniff it out and give us his crappy take in whatever sentence fragments and mispelled garbage his tiny little hands can type into his blackberry as he sits in the ambulance bay.

he looked really bad.  too bad smazza doesnt wake up every morning worshipping the ground football players walk on.

watch the show.  he got shook out of his pants on one and allowed a TD on another.

Im sure steve would like to see usf players do well in the nfl just like the rest of us.

I saw Pacman jones look like dirt too against the receivers and burned quite a bit. 

Gaines Adams was underwhelming for the bucs too last year but now looks the more the part of a big time DE (at least so far in the pre-seaon), Talib has been cited on a few occasions as getting burned for the bucs.  Jenks is a rookie after all, on a team that already has some pro bowl corners playing on it.  To Mike's benefit he doesn't have to get his feet wet immediately.

BTW, for looking bad in 'hard knocks' I found it interesting that the Cowboy's chose to start him in lieu of two other capable corners in the first two pre-season games...this article is also interesting as it seems, smazza's predicted early demise of Jenks, it seems he's rising to the occasion and impressing a few people.  Sounds to me like once he learns the NFL and improves his technique he might actually be worth a darn.

But who am I to question smazza and his 'keen' eye watching "Hard Knocks."  I spend most of my time looking at Jerry Jones on my HD Plasma trying to decide if his facial skin is real or fake.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20080821/ca_pr_on_fo/nfl_cowboys_jenkins_4

• Content Count:  3,403

I doubt mazza's ability to see positives in most situations.

As for Jenkins...what a shame he looked bad in those TWO plays.  If he's struggling so far maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's a rookie.

I'm more concerned with Andre Hall doing well because he hasn't had the same opportunity that Jenkins has until this year.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I've also read a handful of quick notes that have mentioned Jenkins as improving and showing some good signs as well. He's a rookie, being thrown into a starting role for now while Terrence Newman recovers. There will be ups and downs. It's just a tad early to start worrying about him being a bust.

• Content Count:  2,523

Cowboys CB Jenkins making most of opportunity

The Associated Press

Published: August 21, 2008

E-Mail Article

Listen to Article

Printer-Friendly

3-Column Format

Translate

Share Article

Text Size

IRVING, Texas: Dallas Cowboys rookie cornerback Mike Jenkins is getting coached by a Pro Bowler, and getting compliments from another one.

With Terence Newman sidelined by a groin injury, Jenkins — the second of the Cowboys' two first-round picks — has been receiving extra snaps and starting preseason games. Newman has been guiding him along the way.

"He's been a lot of help to me, ever since he went down," Jenkins said. "He's definitely on my back all the time. ... It's starting to get annoying. He's in my ear more than (secondary coach Dave) Campo, more than the coach."

Jenkins was smiling when he said that, appreciative of the help he is getting from the Pro Bowler — the regular starting left cornerback whose spot he has been filling since Newman got hurt three weeks ago.

"That shows a lot of class, a lot of guys wouldn't do that," Jenkins said. "The day he went down, he came back to practice from doing treatment and he has stayed on me ever since then."

Today in Sports

Campbell-Brown extends Jamaica's sprint sweep

Cuban a convincing No. 1 in 110-meter hurdles

In 1-0 victory over Brazil, redemption for U.S. goalie

But Jenkins won't start Friday night in the Cowboys' preseason home opener against Houston.

Dallas coach Wade Phillips said Wednesday night, after the team held an open practice before more than 20,000 fans at Texas Stadium, that Adam "Pacman" Jones will start at left corner instead.

Jones, who missed the 2007 season while serving an NFL suspension and has not yet been reinstated for the regular season, has been working primarily on the right side behind Anthony Henry. But Phillips said Jones "has shown he can play. He needs to play some more." Jenkins will still get plenty of snaps.

Newman is expected to be back in time for the Sept. 7 season opener, and maybe even the final preseason game next week.

On the practice field, Jenkins has made quite an impression on Pro Bowl receiver Terrell Owens.

"He has great feet, good technique. It's all about going out, getting a feel, getting some reps and having himself feel comfortable out there," Owens said. "Once he does that, he's going to be one of the best corners in the league."

When somebody asked Owens if he really meant that, T.O. answered affirmatively.

"It makes me feel real good, a receiver of that caliber praising me and just saying good things," Jenkins said. "Definitely, it makes me want to go out there and work hard. It shows a lot of people are believing in me, not just on the defensive side. ... It builds up my confidence more than it is."

The Cowboys chose Jenkins 25th overall, three picks after they got Arkansas running back Felix Jones.

In Dallas' loss last weekend, Jenkins was beaten by Denver's Brandon Marshall for a 3-yard touchdown. It was a play in which Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler rolled out, meaning Jenkins could have done more to defend Marshall without a penalty.

"I learned after the game, when I got schooled on that in the end zone, that once the quarterback rolls out of the pocket, I can pretty much steer the receiver where I want to," Jenkins said. "I'm just learning all the rules right now."

It's much different from his time at South Florida, when Jenkins was "just not even touching the receiver past 5 yards" under more stringent NCAA rules.

"On some players, you'd worry because he didn't start out well in the game, had some problems," Phillips said. "But Mike Jenkins is a competitor. ... He keeps competing and he doesn't get down on himself. He has some confidence.

"I think it was good he played against top competition and had some troubles, because then he can go back and look at it," Phillips said. "I think he got better and better."

Notes:@ LB Anthony Spencer had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Wednesday and is expected to be out two-to-four weeks. Phillips said Spencer's knee "kept getting irritated" every time the linebacker tried to get back on the field. ... The Cowboys were already without nickel linebacker Kevin Burnett, who had surgery on his left knee last week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'll have to side with what the NFL Coaches and TO have to say over Debbie Downer...

Even on the message board for the Cowboys, though folks are high on Scandy, they are equally high if not many higher on Jenks.  He'll be fine as he has all the measurables and he's learning you can mug a WR in the NFL much more than in college and not get flagged.  Until you learn that, then the WRs on the field have a huge advantage...

• Content Count:  4,738

your post read the same as your whipping boy thread.  was that tongue in cheek too?

edit-what a vagine Mike G deletes his post

Archived