• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Bay Rays choke vs Yankees

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

someone actually said that the sox and rays are a big rivalry?  yikes... someone needs to get take their head out of the sand.

bandwagon jumpers say the cutest things......

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

someone actually said that the sox and rays are a big rivalry?  yikes... someone needs to get take their head out of the sand.

considering they have had twice as many bench clearing incidents in the past 6 years than any other teams in baseball...i would say that is what they base it on.  its not too far off.

now, of course its no where near the sox vs yankees but i think its safe to say that the rays are the sox 2nd biggest rivial

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Geez.  Most people here don't know anything about baseball.  A four game losing streak in baseball is like being behind at halftime of a football game.  They don't play 12 games people, they play 162. 

Trust me, they'll win at least one more game before the season is over.

83, the Rays have the best record in baseball.  It's over for the 'fish, who are barely over 500 and fading fast.

yea guys do realize that if the rays go .500 from this point forward they can still make the playoffs. 

considering they have had twice as many bench clearing incidents in the past 6 years than any other teams in baseball...i would say that is what they base it on.  its not too far off.

now, of course its no where near the sox vs yankees but i think its safe to say that the rays are the sox 2nd biggest rivial

Sorry but a few brawls in first 1/2 of a season do not a rivalry make.  Maybe if the two teams are competing for the next say 5-10 years and this kind of thing continues as they fight for division and league titles then you will have a case.  Otherwise you sound like a UCIFer trying to justify their "rivalry" with USF.  

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

it is WAY far off.  a couple brawls doesn't make a rivalry... all it means is that one team gets payback and the other gets payback for the payback... that can happen with any teams.

the only reason there is any rivalry is that they are in the same division/league, and the rivalry isn't any different than with toronto or baltimore.

the 2nd biggest rivals of the sox is 100% NOT the rays.  This season, the rays are actually competitive, so of course, there is interest... but the rays are not even in the rivals discussion other than being division mates.

sox have just as big (if not bigger) rivalries with oakland, cleveland, chisox, baltimore, and more

you aren't viewed as anything more than just 1 more team that we have to play.

only the yankees are on a stratosphere as far as rivalry.

I hate it when my post is the last on a page, should have waited a minute before hitting submit  :(

maybe you guys should be more in touch with the fans and city that you are talking about.  i have a lot of family in boston and they tell me that the rays are suspect #2 in that city.  its not just a few brawls in the 1/2 of the season.

it goes back a long way.  you guys are very sensitive about the "rivial" term.  God forbid we say UCF is a rivial.  God forbid we say the Rays have a SLIGHT rivialry with the Sox.

geez......

relax.  read a book, go for a bikeride, drink some tea.  you guys are wound WAY TOO tight around here.

I hate it when my post is the last on a page, should have waited a minute before hitting submit  :(

on multiple page threads i always use the ALL pages button.  much easier

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

F the Yankmees.  Talk about bandwagon teams.  I've probably been to NYC more often than 50% of Yankmee fans out there.

Yankees may have more bandwagon fans than any team in the league (sox only ones close)... but they also have 10000x more true fans as the rays.

You don't have to have to frequent or live in a city to be a true fan of the team. 

Calling Yankees fans bandwagon fans is the stupidest thing I've heard.  Bandwagon fans aren't true fans, so you can't really count them.  You're saying you're including all those over-seas people that visit and say they're fans of the team?  When you're a Yankees fan, like I said before, you're a true fans.  Which is why I get crap from people for being a Yankees fan in Tampa.  Location is not going to make me change my mind on years of being a fan.

Hard to argue against the Yankmees having more bandwagon fans than any other team.  Just watch as the Yankmees have dropped in the standings and the Rays have gone up.......amazing!  There aren't as many Yankmee fans in the stands all of a sudden!  Did they all move back?  Did they just end it in some mass jump off the Skyway?  Did they trade in their pinstripes for Rays gear?

Personally, I think it's deplorable that someone roots for another pro team from a city outside of their own, especially if it's the city/area that they were born and grew up in.  Have some pride in your area.  This is your home team that creates (hopefully) a positive identity for the area and (hopefully) rakes in money and attention to the area that you benefit from.  We all had favorite baseball teams from outside the area back in 1997, so the "I've rooted for (insert team name here) since I was young" line doesn't work.

Archived