• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilchrist to USF!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The headline on scout says "Gilchrist to USF; Doesn't Rule out Md. Return"

This is the entire free blurb on that:

"Gilchrist to USF; Doesn't Rule out Md. Return 

Gilchrist's status remains unresolved.  By Jeff Ermann

TurtleSportsReport.com Editor

Date: Jun 15, 2008

The winding path of Gus Gilchrist made a stop in the Sunshine State this weekend, resulting in him making a verbal commitment to the University of South Florida. The question remains, though: will the prized 6-foot-10 forward be there past the summer, and what are the odds he could return to Maryland? TurtleSportsReport.com's Jeff Ermann has the answers … "

Maybe someone else knows the complete story, but it seems like quite a stretch that he would end up back at Maryland after attending summer school at USF, especially after we are appealing to the NCAA on his behalf.

Perhaps, Greg willl give his take on the situation.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

off topic but is anyone else having trouble connecting to the tbo blogs?

Yes.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Regarding a waiver.  You got to like the guy's chances.  Though I understand why someone would honor his Vatech commitment after the tragedy, I also think it is a Bona fide reason for a recruit to decommit.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Regarding a waiver.  You got to like the guy's chances.  Though I understand why someone would honor his Vatech commitment after the tragedy, I also think it is a Bona fide reason for a recruit to decommit.

I think the fact that he was enrolled at Maryland this year after leaving Virginia Tech, makes it unlikely he will get a waiver. Either way, he will eventually help USF on the court as well as make USF basketball a more attractive option for other top players in the future.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I think if he makes the case that Maryland did not explain to him the ACC rules concerning inter-confernece transfers, then his chances might improve.

• Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  0

I hope he can get that waiver and play next season if he does come here.

• Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

So, he enrolled at Maryland but did not play.  Do I understand it correctly, he went to school at Maryland or did not?  Even if he did but did not play basketball or workout with the team then what does it matter.  This is one of my problems with the NCAA.  They take the Universities side a lot and don't care about the player/student.  He should be able to go where he wants as long as he has not played.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think the fact that he was enrolled at Maryland this year after leaving Virginia Tech, makes it unlikely he will get a waiver. Either way, he will eventually help USF on the court as well as make USF basketball a more attractive option for other top players in the future.

If he doesn't get the waiver he'll probably go back to maryland.  That's most likely the situation scout is refering too.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

The whole back to Maryland thing is bogus.  That comes from the Maryland Scout writer.  What do you think he is going to write?  If Gilchrist is going to go back to Maryland based on not getting the waiver, that will not likely happen.  Here's why.  How many of you think that the NCAA will make a decision on this case BEFORE August 30th?  I say there is no chance.  By the 30th classes are well underway and Gilchrist is walking the USF campus as a Bull.  August is the month that the NCAA is focusing all of its energy on Clearinghouse issues, trying to determine who the last minute athletes are that meet eligibility requirements before school starts.  The Gilchrist case will not be decided until close to the start of the hoops season.  He is not going to leave USF in December.

Get used to it.  USF hoops is back.  :cheers

Normal

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The whole back to Maryland thing is bogus.  That comes from the Maryland Scout writer.  What do you think he is going to write?  If Gilchrist is going to go back to Maryland based on not getting the waiver, that will not likely happen.  Here's why.  How many of you think that the NCAA will make a decision on this case BEFORE August 30th?  I say there is no chance.  By the 30th classes are well underway and Gilchrist is walking the USF campus as a Bull.  August is the month that the NCAA is focusing all of its energy on Clearinghouse issues, trying to determine who the last minute athletes are that meet eligibility requirements before school starts.  The Gilchrist case will not be decided until close to the start of the hoops season.  He is not going to leave USF in December.

Get used to it.  USF hoops is back.   :cheers

Normal

I certainly wasn't complaining.  I hope he plays here.  This is a very good sign for the Bulls.

Archived