• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilchrist to USF!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Gilchrist signed his grant in aid to USF, so he's on SCHOLARSHIP and STUCK here whether he likes it or not. LOL

June 16, 2008

Bulls land Maryland transfer Gilchrist

USF coach Stan Heath has landed an eighth member of his incoming recruiting class -- perhaps the biggest coup of the group -- as Augustus "Gus" Gilchrist, a power forward/center who was granted a release from Maryland, signed a grant-in-aid with the Bulls after a weekend visit to campus.

"I feel like I made a really good choice," said Gilchrist, who lists himself at 6-foot-11, 235 pounds. "It's a great feeling."

Gilchrist said he expects to start classes at USF when the second half of summer classes begin in two weeks, and USF's compliance office will now begin the process of applying for an NCAA hardship waiver that would allow him to play this fall without sitting out a year as is normally required.

"I feel very confident (about playing this year), and I met with the people who will file the papers with the NCAA, and they seem extremely confident," said Gilchrist, who said he was not told by Maryland officials of an ACC transfer rule that cost him a year of eligibility after he originally signed with Virginia Tech.

Gilchrist said a big part of his decision was the chance to play with USF point guard Chris Howard, who was briefly a teammate of his on a state championship team at Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Maryland. Gilchrist he spent much of his visit with Howard this weekend.

"I already know what he brings to the table," Gilchrist said. "My freshman year, I was on the bench watching him play."

Meeting Heath and having the chance to see his vision for turning USF into a competitive team in the Big East confirmed for Gilchrist that USF was the right place for him.

"He seemed like a real genuine person," Gilchrist said. "I know he wants to win. I think the Big East is a great conference, the best conference in the NCAA."

Gilchrist is most often identified as a center, but he said his natural position is at power forward, though he'll line up for Heath "wherever he needs me to play." He would be the eighth member of Heath's incoming class, a figure all the more incredible considering six of the incoming players have committed since last March.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/06/bulls-land-mary.html#comments

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  0

Stan is the man.  It's great to have hope for hoops again.  Can you imagine having something to look forward to after football season!

It will be nice to have a competitive team again.  I hope this happens.

• Content Count:  4,016

Gilchrist signed his grant in aid to USF, so he's on SCHOLARSHIP and STUCK here whether he likes it or not. LOL

June 16, 2008

Bulls land Maryland transfer Gilchrist

USF coach Stan Heath has landed an eighth member of his incoming recruiting class -- perhaps the biggest coup of the group -- as Augustus "Gus" Gilchrist, a power forward/center who was granted a release from Maryland, signed a grant-in-aid with the Bulls after a weekend visit to campus.

"I feel like I made a really good choice," said Gilchrist, who lists himself at 6-foot-11, 235 pounds. "It's a great feeling."

Gilchrist said he expects to start classes at USF when the second half of summer classes begin in two weeks, and USF's compliance office will now begin the process of applying for an NCAA hardship waiver that would allow him to play this fall without sitting out a year as is normally required.

"I feel very confident (about playing this year), and I met with the people who will file the papers with the NCAA, and they seem extremely confident," said Gilchrist, who said he was not told by Maryland officials of an ACC transfer rule that cost him a year of eligibility after he originally signed with Virginia Tech.

Gilchrist said a big part of his decision was the chance to play with USF point guard Chris Howard, who was briefly a teammate of his on a state championship team at Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Maryland. Gilchrist he spent much of his visit with Howard this weekend.

"I already know what he brings to the table," Gilchrist said. "My freshman year, I was on the bench watching him play."

Meeting Heath and having the chance to see his vision for turning USF into a competitive team in the Big East confirmed for Gilchrist that USF was the right place for him.

"He seemed like a real genuine person," Gilchrist said. "I know he wants to win. I think the Big East is a great conference, the best conference in the NCAA."

Gilchrist is most often identified as a center, but he said his natural position is at power forward, though he'll line up for Heath "wherever he needs me to play." He would be the eighth member of Heath's incoming class, a figure all the more incredible considering six of the incoming players have committed since last March.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/06/bulls-land-mary.html#comments

Well hell now he's ours for sure because that means he's been accepted at USF, and enrolled.  The scout guy is wrong, no way he can go back now.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Get used to playing C my man.  That's where we need you, not PF.

• Content Count:  879

This situation is quite the hot topic over on the Maryland Scout board.  ;D

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

I have heard that non other then $MAZZA is the attorney who keeps getting our guys eligible!  Any truth to these rumors?

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

off topic but is anyone else having trouble connecting to the tbo blogs?

yeah, i used USF_64_USF_12's link

Signed, Sealed & Delivered:

Gilchrist Signs Grant-In-Aid 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 06/16/2008

TAMPA – University of South Florida men’s basketball coach Stan Heath announced today that top prospect Gus Gilchrist has been granted a transfer release from the University of Maryland and signed a grant-in-aid to attend USF.

He originally signed with Virginia Tech in November 2006 but was granted a release from his National Letter of Intent. Gilchrist then enrolled at Maryland in January but the Atlantic Coast Conference ruled he would not be eligible until the completion of the fall 2008 semester and would lose a year of eligibility because of ACC intra-conference transfer rules.

"Current NCAA rules will require Gus to sit a year in residency before he can compete,†said Steve Horton, Associate Director of Athletics/Compliance. “However, Compliance will begin working on a waiver request to the NCAA asking that Gus, due to a number of extenuating circumstances, be permitted to play immediately this upcoming academic year. We hope to have this request to the NCAA for their review by next week."

The 6-10, 235-pound Gilchrist was ranked 52nd nationally by Rivals in the 2007 class and 55th by Scout. He was rated the ninth best center by Scout and the 14th best power forward by Rivals. He was named MVP of the 2007 Capital Classic after scoring 24 points and grabbing nine rebounds. Gilchrist attended Progressive Christian Academy (Md.) as a senior after spending his first three seasons at Friendly High School (Md.), where he was a teammate of current USF guard Chris Howard as a freshman. As a senior he averaged 24 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots per game. As a junior, Gilchrist averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds. He played for the D.C. Assault AAU program.

“I’m very excited about Gus’s commitment to USF,†said Heath. “He has the potential to have a tremendous impact on our program. His versatility to play inside and out makes him a dual threat and a very difficult matchup. I am very confident in our compliance staff that they will work vigorously in helping Gus gain his immediate eligibility. This is a quality high character young man and one that our fans will be excited to cheer for.â€Â

Gilchrist will join guard Gabriel Belardo, junior center Alejandro Rivas Sanchez, point guard Dwan McMillan, center/forward Eugene Teague Jr. and forward Eladio Espinosa as part of the incoming recruiting class. Junior guard Mike Mercer, a transfer from Georgia, will also become eligible in December at the end of the fall semester.

Gus Gilchrist, Forward/Center

High School: Progressive Christian Academy

Hometown: Clinton, Md.

6-10, 235

First name is Augustus... Spent senior season at Progressive Christian Academy in Camp Springs, Md.... Attended Friendly High School in Fort Washington, Md. for three years where he was a teammate of current USF guard Chris Howard as a freshman... Coached by Curtis Malone as a member of the D.C. Assault AAU program... Son of Augustus Sr. and Donna... Born October 15, 1989.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1480818

No mention of Teeng Akol as one of the incoming recruits listed in that release. Perhaps, that is because we don't know how he did on his SAT test. We should know about that pretty soon.

Mike DeCourcy of the sporting news took notice of the signing:

Gus Gilchrist transfers to South Florida

Posted: June 16, 2008

Mike DeCourcy

Sporting News

In its quest to become competitive in the Big East, South Florida picked up an important transfer when 6-9 power forward Gus Gilchrist decided he would join the Bulls' basketball program.

Gilchrist originally signed with Virginia Tech in November 2006 but chose to vacate that commitment near the close of the school year at Progressive Christian Academy in Camp Springs, Md. Ranked among the top 60 prospects in the 2007 class by several recruiting services, he reportedly was uncomfortable attending Virginia Tech in the aftermath of the shooting spree that saw a student kill 32 people, then himself.

Gilchrist enrolled at Maryland in January but afterward learned ACC in-conference transfer rules would force him to sit out a year and lose one year of eligibility. His transfer to USF will require that he sit out another full year under NCAA rules, but he is planning to petition for a waiver that would allow him to compete immediately.

He is the seventh new player to join the USF program for the 2008-09 season.

"He has the potential to have a tremendous impact on our program," Coach Stan Heath said in a release. "His versatility to play inside and out makes him a dual threat and a very difficult matchup."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=424327

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Akol hasn't signed yet, so USF can't comment on him -- that's why he's not listed as part of the class.

Akol hasn't signed yet, so USF can't comment on him -- that's why he's not listed as part of the class.

Ok. Thanks.

Did he already take his SAT exam? And, if so, when should he get back the results?

Archived