• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BE Commish Stepping down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

he voted against a plus one. This will be good if we get someone for a plus one or playoff system

A playoff would not be beneficial to USF at this time.  As a new member to a BCS league, we need to establish ourselves as a national power, and go to BCS bowls prior to a playoff.  A playoff would level the playing field between the BCS and non BCS leagues.  Thereby taking away any advantage we have over non bcs teams.  Once we establish ouselves as a true national power, say, in 5-10 years, then it would not be harmful.

Look for the non bcs beggars (UCF/Memphis/ECU) to come out of the woodwork with this news, hoping to be included in any BE split.

Every non-BCS team would like a BCS invite...not just the ones you listed.  USF would be doing the same if there's a split.

Well, that's true, it just seems we see fans of these 3 schools "begging" the most on message boards to be included if there is any split.  But I understand why they want to be included, every school does.  Made a huge difference for USF.

What would USF have to beg about if there is a split, we're already BCS, and would still be BCS if there were a split.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are problems with the split:

1) The TV contract is weighted towards basketball... but would less money divided 8 to 12 ways be better than what we get from 16?

2) The conference name would go with the basketball schools.  That means the new football conference would not get an automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournaments. Now with Cuse, Lville, and Pitt... plus the possible addition of a Memphis, it wouldn't take long.

3) The conference name means the basketball teams also keep the points.  That could hurt... NCAA $$ is based on points over the past few year seasons... so they need to allocate the points based on which teams earned them.  But any expansions means teams like Memphis would leave their points in the conference they are departing.

4) Scheduling for Olympic sports would need help.  Having more conference mates in most sports makes filling a sport schedule easy... so losing 8 possible opponents (depending on the sport) means adjusting the calendars.  (Of course, it could also mean a true round robin / home-and-away conference season).

Just a few things to keep in mind.  Sure, the current situation isn't perfect.  But there is no "perfect" situation either.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Jim, an assistant AD of a Big East school  located in southeast Ohio told me last November that the makeup of everything the Big East has done to this point has made sure s split of basketball and football could be done with very few problems.

For example the nonfootball schools are purposely all Catholic schools.

There are problems with the split:

1) The TV contract is weighted towards basketball... but would less money divided 8 to 12 ways be better than what we get from 16?

2) The conference name would go with the basketball schools.  That means the new football conference would not get an automatic bid to the NCAA basketball tournaments. Now with Cuse, Lville, and Pitt... plus the possible addition of a Memphis, it wouldn't take long.

3) The conference name means the basketball teams also keep the points.  That could hurt... NCAA $$ is based on points over the past few year seasons... so they need to allocate the points based on which teams earned them.  But any expansions means teams like Memphis would leave their points in the conference they are departing.

4) Scheduling for Olympic sports would need help.  Having more conference mates in most sports makes filling a sport schedule easy... so losing 8 possible opponents (depending on the sport) means adjusting the calendars.  (Of course, it could also mean a true round robin / home-and-away conference season).

Just a few things to keep in mind.  Sure, the current situation isn't perfect.  But there is no "perfect" situation either.

I bet the name could be negotiated.  I would hope the football schools keep the BE name if there is a split.  The BE name means something.

Jim, an assistant AD of a Big East school  located in southeast Ohio told me last November that the makeup of everything the Big East has done to this point has made sure s split of basketball and football could be done with very few problems.

Joe, do you think there will be a split.  What do you think happens out of all of this.  If there is a split, the BE has been keeping there game faces on not revealing anything, in fact denying there is one coming.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Not anytime in the next 3 years. I think basketball and teams not making the tourny will force it...NOT football expansion.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

he voted against a plus one. This will be good if we get someone for a plus one or playoff system

A playoff would not be beneficial to USF at this time.  As a new member to a BCS league, we need to establish ourselves as a national power, and go to BCS bowls prior to a playoff.  A playoff would level the playing field between the BCS and non BCS leagues.  Thereby taking away any advantage we have over non bcs teams.  Once we establish ouselves as a true national power, say, in 5-10 years, then it would not be harmful.

Look for the non bcs beggars (UCF/Memphis/ECU) to come out of the woodwork with this news, hoping to be included in any BE split.

A plus one or playoff would be beneficial to Football in general and to everyone, except maybe ohio state.

The problem is schools are too selfish with this "its not beneficial to us", and if USF cant compete with a plus one, then I dont see why we can compete at all

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Be will be absorbed into CUSA, ACC, and maybe SEC.

First, I am not sure why the schools all being Catholic would be an example of how the split would be as painless as possible.  Sure, it provides some symmetry and a reason for the 8 schools to be in their own conference...  (And reason for reaching out to schools like Xavier & Dayton...)

Second, I don't doubt they planned for the possibility of separating... but the factors I listed are still issues that will have to be negotiated: especially the conference name and tournament points.

Not anytime in the next 3 years. I think basketball and teams not making the tourny will force it...NOT football expansion.

I agree here... two 8-member conferences could each get 4-5 teams into the tournament, where as getting 8-10 from one mega conference may be hard for the rest of the country to swallow...

More importantly, if the teams left out consistently are the Catholics.  They might be willing to concede to a split.... the Catholic schools because their teams get shunned by the tourney and the football schools for scheduling.  Different motivations... but you are right --- it will take an effort from the basketball side to start this ball moving.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If there's a Split we could all keep the name Big East

Big East Basketball Conference

Big East Football Conference

Though not likely, it still has aring to it.

Archived