• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woolard contacted about Washington AD job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Not to mention, when an AD goes they often start hiring the coaches who were around them at the last  place, which can decimate the program they left...

in some cases this can be true but even if he left to washington i cant see any coaches looking to make that big of a move unless they had prior contacts over in that region.

most of our coaches have been here longer than Woolard

Not true, Woolard did a lot of cleaning house when he came in.

Football and Mens tennis is the only sport I can think of that has any type of long term coach

Unfortunately for your argument one of those is the only sport the vast Majority care about.

The other sport that has a following: Men's Basketball I don't see Heath going to Washington

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Hope he stays, finishes his career here and then is a fixture in the community for years to come.  This is one of the ways that traditions get built.

• Content Count:  4,016

Not to mention, when an AD goes they often start hiring the coaches who were around them at the last  place, which can decimate the program they left...

in some cases this can be true but even if he left to washington i cant see any coaches looking to make that big of a move unless they had prior contacts over in that region.

most of our coaches have been here longer than Woolard

Prado, Heath, he worked a better deal for Erickson when that was rocky and now Erickson is happy.  I am not worried about guys leaving for UW, and I am not so sure I am worried yet about Woolard leaving.

And unlike smazza's ignorant post, I am not afraid of change, but remember change goes both ways- sometimes positive and sometimes negative.  I don't want to 'throw money' at a guy, but he's done a very good job if not exceptional (considering he was walking into USF after some rocky times), and would really prefer to see him stick around for 3-4 more years.  I really believe by then USF will be at a level that we can handle the change.  It's just right now USF athletics has built some momentum and losing a focal point and leader can slow down or stymie that momentum.

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed w S Bien.  The jury is still out on Heath but it seems he was a good hire. 

I love what Woolard has done with the Football schedule (ND Miami etc). 

• Content Count:  1,433

Doug Woolard is a champ.  Whether he stays or goes, I will always be a big fan of his.  But Doug...how 'bout you stay?

• Content Count:  292

Like anyone in Woolard's position (i.e. AD, CEO, Chairman) not eveyone is going to agree if it's good or bad for him to go.  I'm sure there are those in the department who like him and think he is doing a great job.  I'm sure there are also those who feel the opposite.  That's business and it's going to happen but we can't overlook how much growth we have had while Doug has been here.  We all have to agree with S._Bien's post that we have built up some momentum over the past few years and it would most definatley be a step back for USF if he were to leave.

USF has had to grow up pretty fast over the years going from Metro-CUSA-Big East and our athletic department has struggled to keep up with the pace of these changes.  In my opinion, I think it would significantly hurt USF right now for him to leave.  A few more years as S._Bien said and we should be at a point where we can handle that kind of change. 

Up until last year, I felt that CJL had gotten us to a spot that if he left we could hire someone to pick things up and continue to move forward.  However, after all the success of being ranked #2, etc. I think is very important that USF maintains status quo with our coaches and administration at least a few more years until we are firmly set in the Big East and are more established.

I agree that change can be good but it can also cause a lot of problems.  There really isn't any reason for change yet...at least from USF's standpoint.  I've met Doug several times and truly believe he wants to make USF the best in all sports in the Big East.  Our school is still soo young and 25 years from now we may very well be one of the best programs in the country...no reason we can't be.

• Content Count:  69

coaches that were hired pre-Woolard ...

football, women's basketball, softball, men's tennis, men's golf, men's soccer

there are 17 sports total, but Warren Bye coaches four of those (men's/women's cross country & men's/women's track and field)

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The great thing that Woolard has done is to convince people that USF needs to make a commitment to the athletics. Leavitt's deal has been reworked. When RMC left, I really felt like USF would just go and get someone cheap/a really young coach with promise, but in my opinion, Woolard got the best available guy.

I am not sure what Eriksen's deal was, but it was a long time coming.

The athletic department seems to have changed from "gee, so and so can do the job and won't ask for much money" to "we need to get this person/do this in order to take this program to the next level"

• Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I've not heard or read about this anywhere else...

Does anyone know who else is in the running for the UW AD position?

• Content Count:  3,078

the real question is.... why is Woolard paid that much?

Pretty sure that puts him making more than the UGA AD and has to be in the top 10-20% in the country.  Hell, I think Foley "only" makes around $500k

Archived