• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's investment in wellness and nutrition center awaits OK

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

Not sure if this was already posted or not. if so, I can remove...

-------------

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/05/12/story11.html

TAMPA -- The University of South Florida plans to use $14.8 million approved in the just-completed state legislative session to build a dining facility near the SunDome to serve athletes and other students.

The proposed facility is the first step in a much larger and more expensive plan to create a comprehensive student wellness and nutrition center on campus, said Tracy Tyree, associate VP in the division of student affairs.

The dining hall, which would be located between the SunDome and the recreation center on the southeast corner of campus, would be a partnership between student affairs and the athletic department. It would meet the specific needs athletes have related to nutrition and diet, would have the capacity to have more nutritious and healthy eating options for the general student population as a whole, and would provide a food facility on a part of campus that's not meeting students' needs now, Tyree said.

Funding comes from student fees designated specifically for capital improvements, said Sheila Holbrook, special assistant in university services. Those fees make up the capital improvements fee trust fund, which received legislative approval to spend a total of $122 million on 42 projects at 11 state universities. The package still requires Gov. Charlie Crist's signature.

• Content Count:  3,103

sounds good to me, CJL gets his dining hall and the students also get a new place to eat that has healthy options, its a win-win for everybody.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The package still requires Gov. Charlie Crist's signature.

So do we need to stampede Crist's office and tell him to sign our package?  ;D

• Content Count:  760

The package still requires Gov. Charlie Crist's signature.

So do we need to stampede Crist's office and tell him to sign our package?  ;D

He better ******* sign it. He ******* gave Oregon and Miami money for different centers or what not; while in the state we are suffering from budget cuts.

• Content Count:  4,642

that would be pretty messed up if he didn't sign it.  i hope we get this thing.

It's part of the budget. He will sign that, but he has line item veto which he could use.

However, I don't know of any Governor that has ever exercised the line-item veo for CITF projects.  The process for CITF is detailed and public, so most Governor's accept the appropriations.

The full list starts at the bottom of page seven of this file: Florida Appropriations Bill

• Content Count:  2,726

It's part of the budget. He will sign that, but he has line item veto which he could use.

However, I don't know of any Governor that has ever exercised the line-item veo for CITF projects.  The process for CITF is detailed and public, so most Governor's accept the appropriations.

The full list starts at the bottom of page seven of this file: Florida Appropriations Bill

I'm pretty sure governor Bush line-item vetoed our new School of Music a few years back.  This is why we still don't have one!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  4

I have no problem with them taking more money away from UF  ;)

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah, CITF appropriations are pretty much guaranteed to occur, especially since members of the student body provided input into their use.

I'm pretty sure governor Bush line-item vetoed our new School of Music a few years back.  This is why we still don't have one!

GO BULLS!!!

Yes he did, but there are two key differences: 1) That appropriation did not stem from a formal budget request that goes through the normal process -- it was inserted by the legislature.  2) It was funded by a different pool of money.

CITF has a formal process ... each university has a student/admin/faculty committee that prioritizes the CITF request list, it goes through the budget request process to the Governor's office... and the legislature usually determines how much to spend on which projects to fund.  I can't recall a time when CITF was ever vetoed.

Archived