• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

what the heck happened last night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

Three, what I would consider veteran outfielders, and three costly mistakes last night.  Crawford's catch in foul territory, Upton's throw to the plate instead of second when Gomez scored, and Hinske's lazy approach to the fly ball down the line that allowed Young to go to third.  Not to mention the fact, Upton seems to be taking too many chances on the bases and taking us out of innings. 

• Content Count:  4,738

upton has seemed lackadaisical when attempting to steal bases.  Also I fault him for not making the right throw.  You can gun for home but make sure a cutoff can get it in case.  The ball should have been thrown so the pitcher could make that decision.

Sucks crawford made a mental error and at the same time a great catch.  those are the little things that make the difference on the field.  you can have all the talent and not make the small ball decisions that decide the game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,454
  • Days Won:  13

SAME OLD RAYS

SAME OLD RAYS

I kind of agree, but also, no.  The talent level seems to be better, and when they get down I don't feel like they can't come back.  But, the bullpen is still not the greatest and I like I stated above, the players are making a lot of mental mistakes which bothers me for players that are not rookies.

i wish pinella would have been hired by the rays 3 years later than he did.

rather have a beer swiller than a wine sipper at the helm

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

I'm really not too sure about the Crawford criticism. I didn't see the play but I thought I heard it was pretty close to the line. Plus, it was the 8th inning, not the 9th... and it wasn't just Upton's decision to go home, the throw was horrible.

the crawford wasn't as bad, but still you have to be thinking before the ball is hit what you do, and a that point in the game you think unless i can gun delmon young at the plate i let a foul ball drop.

it was the eighth inning, and the rays are the visitors.  they only had three outs left at the plate.

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

The Crawford play was a tough one.  If it would have been the bottom of the 9th, then it was a bonehead move.  If he lets it drop, and the guy hits an HR on the next pitch, well then we have people complaining about him not making the catch.

BJ has been making stupid mistakes all year.  He absolutely refuses to hit the cut-off man on his throws to the plate.  Might as well just give the other team another base hit w/ an error like that.  And his baserunning has been shaky at best.  He's a heck of a young hitter, so if they can get this crap straightened out, he will be one of the best OF's in the game.

Another play that did not get much attention was the Riggans brain fart that allowed Delmon to cruise into 3rd.  If he had realized that there was no way to get the runner at home and instead looked to 3rd, he would have had him by 10 feet. 

Oh well, the season is still young, and these should be correctable mistakes.  Still looking for a good year out of these guys.

The Crawford play was a tough one.  If it would have been the bottom of the 9th, then it was a bonehead move.  If he lets it drop, and the guy hits an HR on the next pitch, well then we have people complaining about him not making the catch.

You are probably right, but I still take my chances rather than just giving them the run.

BJ has been making stupid mistakes all year.  He absolutely refuses to hit the cut-off man on his throws to the plate.  Might as well just give the other team another base hit w/ an error like that.  And his baserunning has been shaky at best.  He's a heck of a young hitter, so if they can get this crap straightened out, he will be one of the best OF's in the game.

He is definitely a heck of an outfielder.  His range is freakin awesome.  he thinks he can throw everyone out at home and definitely has to learn to use the cut-off man.

Another play that did not get much attention was the Riggans brain fart that allowed Delmon to cruise into 3rd.  If he had realized that there was no way to get the runner at home and instead looked to 3rd, he would have had him by 10 feet. 

Forgot about that one.  He definitely has his head up his ass on that one.

Oh well, the season is still young, and these should be correctable mistakes.  Still looking for a good year out of these guys.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Especially after the beautiful pitching performance by Sonny tonight.

Archived