• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Won't Answer Some Questions Related To Football Player's Death

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Plancher's death is a tragedy and should not be taken lightly b/c it could happen and has happened everywhere. However, it appears that O'Liars penchant for playing fast and loose with the truth and rules is rearing it's ugly head again. Was he really leading the team in violation of NCAA rules? Notice the classic non-denial from UCF's overwhelmed and deer in the headlights Athletic Director.

This report came out two weeks ago without much fanfare. Now that the true story about what happened regarding Plancher's death are coming out....it's really puts the spotlight yet again on O'Leary's credibility. If he can't tell the truth during a players death, how can he be trusted about anything else?

UCiF fans won't ever admit it, but they are likely beginning to wonder about this guy's character. Let's see if all the self righteous, holier than thou attitudes that they aim toward USF applies to the Tinmen. somehow I doubt it considering comments from theusual suspects....like KnoLife & Friends.

UCF Won't Answer Some Questions Related To Football Player's Death

POSTED: 4:31 pm EDT March 21, 2008

UPDATED: 5:34 pm EDT March 21, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- There are questions about exactly what was going on at the University of Central Florida's closed football practice field the day a freshman player died. Sources close to the football team told Eyewitness News that Coach George O'Leary and his players may have been engaging in certain practice activities earlier than NCAA rules allow.

UCF won't answer questions from Eyewitness News, but said they didn't break the tough NCAA rules that regulate when and what drills the coach can conduct so early in the preseason.

UCF's practice field is closed off from public view, so the only ones who know exactly what goes on are the players and coaches. Even UCF's own athletic director admitted, after UCF football player Ereck Plancher's death on Tuesday, he doesn't know exactly how the Knights were training.

During the preseason, the NCAA heavily regulates the types of practices and drills head coaches like O'Leary are allowed to direct. In this case, it may be a violation if O'Leary was conducting the drill.

"I can't tell you anyone who was directing, I wasn't there and didn't ask that question," Athletic Director Keith Tribble said. "I can't say for a fact whether O'Leary was there or not."

Three days later, UCF athletics confirmed to Eyewitness News O'Leary attended the training, but a UCF spokesman refused an on-camera interview to ask questions about O'Leary's role. During a press gathering Thursday, O'Leary cited his respect for the family as the reason he wouldn't go into detail about the drills.

"Everything that took place, as far as the workout, I don't want to comment on that, but it was not a very taxing workout," he said.

A statement the NCAA gave to Eyewitness News adds to the ambiguity: "The NCAA does not comment on potential, pending or current investigations."

The autopsy results won't be available for several weeks and there's no indication yet of just what killed Ereck Plancher.

http://www.wftv.com/news/15667764/detail.html

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I wrote this in another thread...I think commentary like this should be left alone...

Guys why harp on this or even suggest UCF might have been at fault.

It was more than likely a heart condition. Every football player from HS to pro has done intense mat workouts.

Of course UCF wasn't forthcoming about details, a student athlete died on thei watch, that has ever ambulance chasing attorney looking into it.

We did the same thing with Keely's death and his family threatened lawsuit because they said we were hiding facts.

I could only imagine the rage on here if  UCFer or anyone tried to blame USF for Keey's death.

Oh wait, we did, after a newpaper reported we had no defibulizers in the facility, and it was a very long thread.

I haveno problem giving UCF ****, but a student athelete of theirs died. Things like this are best left alone.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Dude, if these players' allegations are truthfull, then heart condition or no, the UCF administration and coaching staff are 100% COMPLETELY at fault.  They described actions by the coaches (O'Leary in particular) that are illegal.  They weren't even allowed to treat us that harshly (and incompetently) in basic training.  The actions described by these players is consistent with "Hazing".

Add to the fact that UCF lied upfront about O'Leary being there, can we beileve anything that comes out of their camp?  There needs to be an INDEPENDENT investigation by FDLE into this situation.  Criminal charges may be appropriate. 

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Alright, there are two threads here, and they should proceed on seperate tracks. The other one can be about the death of Plancher, how about this one focuses on the potentially illegal practice thing.

IF UCF was practicing illegally, they should immediately have some sort of reprimand handed down from the NCAA, and GOL should be fired, or put on probation at a minimum. Unfortunately, I would think that GOL was a risky hire, and had to come in with a short leash. Now, allegations that he has his team practicing early only reinforces his questionable character.

Obviously if this is true, and you tack on the results, there is a storm brewing. For all the talk about not having thugs, winning the right way with people of good character, etc. from the UCF bunch, this would force them to address the concerns that their coach is a liar and potentially a cheater.

Please, before slamming me to the turf, notice all of the "if's". I am not saying that I necessarily believe the allegations, but if they are true, then this is going to get ugly.

• Content Count:  2,239

Ha.  You said if.  USF fans aren't allowed to use if statements.

I keed.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

start putting people under oath

than they will talk

• Content Count:  6,928

Most popular stories: Most viewed | Most printed | Most e-mailed 

The Florida Times-Union

April 24, 2008

Dark cloud is cast over UCF, coach

By GENE FRENETTE

The Times-Union

Under normal circumstances, coach George O'Leary would still be basking in the afterglow of his Central Florida football program's first Conference USA championship.

--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

He'd be hailed for the Knights' 10-win season and accepting all kinds of compliments on UCF's new knockout venue, Bright House Networks Stadium. The story lines for 2008 should be about sustaining momentum, finding a new quarterback or replacing star running back Kevin Smith.

Instead, all that positive energy has been overshadowed by the darkest of clouds, the March 18 death of redshirt freshman wide receiver Ereck Plancher. He collapsed after an offseason workout of weightlifting and team agility drills and never regained consciousness.

Since then, an Orlando Sentinel report, in which four UCF players anonymously disputed O'Leary's version that the workouts weren't taxing, has triggered a big controversy. The players claimed the workouts were far more intense, that Plancher struggled to get through them and that O'Leary cursed at him for "lack of effort" following one drill.

While everyone awaits the official autopsy results, O'Leary, who's speaking to UCF boosters today (6 p.m.) at the Sneakers Sports Grill off Baymeadows Road, is in the awkward position of trying to handle a public-relations conundrum.

How does he properly address a he said-they said nightmare without appearing insensitive about a tragic event? O'Leary is by no means tap-dancing. He denies culpability for his coaching staff, implying either that the four players were wrong in their assessment or that the messenger (the Sentinel) is sensationalizing.

"There's been an incredible lack of credibility and accuracy in the statements that have been made," O'Leary said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "There's been no real determining factor in what happened to the young man. Anytime there's an unknown, that leads to questions until it's resolved.

"You have your ups and downs in coaching, and losing a player is probably the biggest downer you can have."

Message-board posters and bloggers weighing in on this controversy already have stirred the pot with enough uninformed hot air.

Without being there, it's impossible to know whether this was an unpreventable tragedy or if it was triggered by an excessive workout. Coaches never want to put a player in harm's way. That's a stain on a reputation not easily washed off.

Which is why O'Leary might face the greatest challenge of his career. More so than the resume flap that led to his resignation at Notre Dame. More than a winless 2004 season at UCF.

Depending on how this plays out, Plancher's death could unify the Knights like never before or send them into a downward spiral.

UCF safety Sha'reff Rashad, an Episcopal High School graduate who had a locker next to Plancher's, has the right perspective about the entire aftershock.

"It's a sad situation, but the best way to move on is to get back on the field," Rashard said. "There was a lot of emotion surrounding [Plancher's death]. We're just trying to make sure we stay together and not get pulled apart."

UCF wants to win more championships and build on last year's success. It'll be easier when the cloud over Plancher's death is lifted.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/042408/spf_271621791.shtml

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/042408/spf_271621791.shtml.

Archived