• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mauk not giving up yet

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

Ben Mauk is taking one more shot at securing another year of eligibility to play football at the University of Cincinnati.

UC coach Brian Kelly said Friday that Mauk has provided the school with additional information regarding an injury he suffered before he enrolled at Wake Forest in 2003 that precluded him from playing for the Demon Deacons during his true freshman year.

Mauk was redshirted as a freshman at Wake. He enrolled at UC as a graduate student last year and became the Bearcats' starting quarterback after injuries to his arm and his shoulder wiped out all but one game of his junior year at Wake Forest.

But the NCAA ruled on Feb. 12 that Mauk was not entitled to a sixth year in which to complete his five years of eligibility because his redshirt year as a freshman was not the result of an injury, but a decision by the school to have him sit out.

Now Mauk apparently is saying an injury would have prevented him from playing to his full potential that year anyway.

"He's essentially including some additional information to the original information he sent out," Kelly said, "that going into his first year at Wake, he had a screw put in his foot. He's got medical documentation. We're submitting it on his behalf, and we'll see where it takes him."

Mike Mauk, Ben's father and high school coach at Kenton (Ohio) High School, confirmed Friday that he and Ben had provided UC with additional information, but would not go into specifics.

"We're going to wait and see what they say," Mike Mauk said. "I don't know that I want to say everything right now."

Kelly said the school plans to submit the new information to the NCAA within the next few days.

"We're waiting for some additional medical information from the surgeon that took care of Ben," Kelly said.

Asked why Mauk didn't submit this information as part of his original request for a hardship waiver, Kelly said: "I think Ben's got some clarity in his own mind relative to what the NCAA was looking for. What they were looking for was two separate seasons where he was affected by an injury.

"It put his attention now on, OK, well in 2003 I was redshirted, but here's the deal. I couldn't be the quarterback I wanted to be in the spread offense. He's claiming, and he's got medical documentation to back it up, that after track season, they put a screw in his foot."

Mauk's claim could be hurt by a comment he made last month after he learned that his hardship waiver had been denied, when he told reporters it wasn't his idea to redshirt as a freshman.

"I thought I could help the team out," he said then, "and I wasn't allowed to play, so I thought it was out of my control."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080308/SPT0101/803080385/1064

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  526

Why doesn't he just ****** give up?  He lost his chance.  C'mon, he was injured DURING his junior year.  If he would've been out for his senior year because of the injury then I'd understand, but he never missed a FULL season.  Injuries are just a part of the game.  He will lose the appeal too.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Mike Jenkins had a cast on his hand most of his freshman year.  Does he get another year because he wasn't able to play up to his full potentail that year? 

If the NCAA allows this one, there is a very dangerous being set.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wow...what a pathetic loser.

In other news, if he gets this waiver (which is a travesty), then we're screwed against them this season.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Mauk is acting like a giant... word that rhymes with Mauk.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he needs to move on

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

he needs to move on

He does, but I gotta be honest, loving to play the game as much as he does, I'd be fighting like hell to get another of eligibility as well.  Unless you are good enough to  move on to the next level, I think most athletes would be wanting to get another year of eligiblility.  It's not right, but I can't say I blame him.

• Content Count:  1,400

he needs to move on

He does, but I gotta be honest, loving to play the game as much as he does, I'd be fighting like hell to get another of eligibility as well.  Unless you are good enough to  move on to the next level, I think most athletes would be wanting to get another year of eligiblility.  It's not right, but I can't say I blame him.

yeah i agree with you unless I have an nfl future I would try whatever possible to get another year of college football hope he dosent get it but can't blame him for trying

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe Brian Kelly should show up and cuss out the NCAA eligibility people the way he cusses out his own players when they make a mistake. At least when CJL loses his mind on the sidelines, it's directed at officials or no one in particular.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

Mauk is acting like a giant... word that rhymes with Mauk.

Hawk?

And I really don't care if Mauk comes back or not ..... as long as he doesn't bring Nakamura back with him.

Archived