• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone Else Watch "The Wire"?

Bull Dozer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

nope...don't get to see a whole lot of network TV.

It's on HBO.

Cant believe there's only 2 more episodes. Such a great series, especially season 4. This season's been sorta hit and miss. Not really diggin the whole homeless storyline, but Im sure its gonna end great. That Omar twist was crazy, even though I already knew the outcome (**** internet spoilers) still hard to imagine him going out that way with so many people going after him over the years.

Will be interesting to see who all pops up in the next episodes. So far no Prez, Namond, Bunny. Gotta think Avon gonna pop up one more time.

Yeah I was pissed that Omar got killed off.  I really wanted to see him put Marlo down.

Yeah i was a bit shocked.  That kid is gully he was about to set a cat on fire like 5mins before he got Omar.

Omar was the man.  I loved in the first season how he'd go through the projects, whistling "A-Hunting We Will Go", and everyone would scatter or drop their drugs on the doorsteps.  Interestingly enough, he is the only character on the show that never used cuss words.

I watched the first three seasons religiously (the dockworkers were the best series...I liked comparing & contrasting whites with blacks and their problems) and seeing how they would work out.  However, when I moved, I dropped HBO and missed the last 2 seasons except for this past Sunday's episode.

This is a great series, but for some reason it hasn't gotten the acclaim that others have to keep HBO re-upping.  There is plenty of story left with the Politics and the changes in police.  I'm not sure why they are cutting it though.

My only complaint is the creators try to bring too much into the show.  Might have been better just with cops and drug dealers.  the political angle was good.  But I feel like the newspaper thing was added because the creators were newspaper guys and wanted to throw that in there knowing it was their last season.  It hasn't been bad but there is plenty of story to write with the other angles.

Sorry to see Omar, fat joe, and stringer go out.  All guys with a different angle, but just shows you can't change the game.

Since HBo is killing the wire they need to get another crime drama concept.  I watched the series about couples but you'd have to hold a gun to my head to watch this "In Treatment"  ********.  I think the sopranos gave too much play to the therapist and now HBo thinks it can make every show about therapists.

Ive heard rumors of a prequel movie.  If i can find the link for it ill post it up. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got it

Team

Tip Your Editors:

tips@gawker.com

Managing Editor:

Nick Denton | Email

Day Editor:

Alex Pareene | Email

Night Editor:

Ryan Tate | Email

Reporters:

Sheila McClear | Email

Hamilton Nolan | Email

Richard Lawson | Email

Nick Douglas | Email

Gawker

« || next »

backlash

Why David Simon Should Shut Down The Wire

WireDevotees of The Wire, myself among them, should be delighted by this hint given by one of the HBO drama's actors. Dominic West, who plays the increasingly manic police detective, Jimmy McNulty, tells the Los Angeles Times some of his colleagues are lobbying David Simon for a movie spinoff, and the show's creator is indeed considering a prequel. But here's the sacrilegious thought, which I can't suppress: the final season is not the triumph that fans had hoped for; and it's time for Simon to let go.

First, Simon has turned his focus on his former employer, the Baltimore Sun; in newspaper terms, he's too close to the story, and the latest season's parable on the decline of the press, complete with irredeemable journalistic fabricator and empty-souled news executives, is leaden. Maybe the dockers and gangsters of earlier seasons were also less textured than the real Baltimore personalities on which they were based, but they didn't have an outlet for their complaints. Journalists do, and that has colored the reception to The Wire's latest storyline.

There's a deeper problem, which should establish why a feature, even a prequel, is such a bad idea. The saving grace of The Wire was the series' leisurely, meandering, convoluted plotline: Simon had no deadline for his political diatribes; his righteousness never overwhelmed the essential drama of crime and corruption in America's decaying industrial cities. But now the crusading former journalist has only a condensed final season, three episodes shorter than he'd hoped, in which to make all his remaining points, and demand recognition for a show which has never won a major award.

The result: embarrassingly improbable plot points, such as the fake serial killer conjured up by McNulty to shake down the mayor for police funding; absurd caricatures, particularly of journalists (see below); increasingly heavy-handed lectures on the bankruptcy of government, the press, heck, everybody; and a cascade of newspaper columns by Simon as part of the show's last-ditch marketing campaign, belaboring points which viewers should arrive at themselves. It's painful to admit: The Wire's creator has turned into one of those didactic lecturers who simply rattle out the script and raise the volume when they feel the audience slipping away from them, and the clock running out.

David Simon has struggled to compress his concluding remarks into the 10 episodes of the HBO show's fifth run. Imagine how painful it would be for him to fit his morality play into two hours of a feature movie. It would be better for him, and fans of earlier seasons, if he didn't.

http://gawker.com/5003222/why-david-simon-should-shut-down-the-wire

Interview with Kenard & Bug

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

That article says it perfectly.  If you watched the behind the scenes shows you tell these guys had an axe to grind, at the expense of the shows quality and continuity. 

If you want to make a show about newspapers make one, but don't **** up a crime drama to get back at your ex-employer.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry to see Omar, fat joe, and stringer go out.  All guys with a different angle, but just shows you can't change the game.

You mean Prop Joe?  If so, that sucks.  I kinda liked him as well.

As far as Stringer goes, he knew that it was coming.  He might've been the smartest of all of the "big guys", but he burned his bridges too quickly to not be put down.

• Content Count:  189

yes prop met his demise earlier this season. such an under appreciated character.

i dont want a movie, just leave it be. and as far as the sun goes...yeah he's taking jabs at his former employer, the wire was more then just a cop drama, it focused on the everyday turmoil of Baltimore. season 1 was bout the projects, season 2 was bout the shipping yards, season 3 was more political and bout the business developments, and 4 was bout the school systems....Im ok with the newspaper involvement. Its just the stupid homeless people storyline. Its too farfetched.

• Content Count:  883

I went onto HBO demand to watch the last episode and what do you know?  You can't watch this one ahead of time.  I did see that the last episode is an hour and a half though.  If Marlo gets free, someone better take care of him.

I went onto HBO demand to watch the last episode and what do you know?  You can't watch this one ahead of time.  I did see that the last episode is an hour and a half though.  If Marlo gets free, someone better take care of him.

Downloaded and watched the finale last night.  One of the best episodes of the whole series if you ask me. 

• Content Count:  189

saw where it leaked...thankfully no spoiler. Cant wait till Sunday night. Gauging by the previews, should go out in style.

• Content Count:  883

What a great ending to an unbelievable series.  Man, I can't say enough.  I'm not gonna get too deep into it unless anybody comments back, but I'm gonna miss this on sundays.  Sucks about Duquan.  He never had a chance, did he?

Archived