• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recent Brett McMurphy articles

KB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of it has to do with writing style. For instance:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/23/sp-bulls-will-be-regulars-on-espn-football-telecas/?sports

has this line:

USF's 2008 schedule, obtained by the Tribune through a public records request,

now, when I read that, it sounds to me like the schedule was indeed a highly classified document,

and the Trib, in order to 'get the truth to the masses' had to resort to something akin to the

Freedom of Information Act to ascertain who and when we are playing.

Who cares "how" you got the schedule?

Or is this just the Trib's way of saying "yeah, we got this from the University so it's real and don't bother

questioning the source".

As for the salaries story, I thought something like that DOES belong on the front page. Is one coach under-paid,

or is someone else overpaid...that's subjective. And a nice tri-color chart like that does look better than some

black-and-white grid back on page five.

Style & verbiage: I'm sure those of us who have spent an unhealthy amount of time on this board could see

where these two attributes can easily sway the tone of the written word. :satan

I have generally like Brett, he has responded to me personnally over the years when I comment or question, and even shared info that was not part of an article or such.  For instance we would talk about JR when he was rehabing.  With that said though, I think he still holds a grudge on the school from when CJL shut down on the press two years ago.  Ever since the tone has been like this.  Yeah, the schedule was published on gousfbulls.com before the paper published, they didnt have to file paperwork to force disclosure.

modified by Bulliever to fix quote box

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Is Leavitt holding up a contract that would increase USF's Asst Football Coaches $$$ pool even more so?

From article.

Although Leavitt is only two years into a seven-year, $7 million deal, Woolard has offered Leavitt two new contracts - a seven-year, $12.6 million deal through 2014 or a six-year, $10.4 million deal through 2013. In both proposals, USF's assistant pool, previously slated to increase to $1.05 million in 2008, would increase by $200,000 to $1.25 million, just shy of the 2007 Big East average of $1.29 million.

Negotiations began in November. Leavitt has yet to sign.

Actually, I've heard that he is negotiating to get more dollars into the assistant pool, and that's why he hasn't signed yet.  Not sure if it is true, just something I've heard.

I think he still holds a grudge on the school from when CJL shut down on the press two years ago.  Ever since the tone has been like this. 

And therein lies the problem.  A true journalist wouldn't allow his personal opinions to interfere with reporting news due to this.  Unfortunately, Brett's journalistic integrity has been questionable ever since that occurred.  He moved from reporting the news, to interjecting his personal opinion into his news articles in how he presents news.

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Time for my two cents.  I visit each blog quite often, and notice a vast difference.  Not only in temperment, but also in just sheer volume.  Greg does 5 times as much blogging as BMM.  Maybe more.  Has it occured to anybody else that Bret is trying to compete with Greg, and is losing the battle?  So, he tries to write more sensational stories instead of just the bare bones approach?  Really no contest as far as my vote goes to, GA is the winner by knockout and  is still the undisputed heavyweight champion of the blogosphere.

• Content Count:  809

I don't see any problem with the Tribune putting salaries in the paper. USA Today publishes every major league baseball player and coaches salaries every year.

Coaches make lots of money.

and about Bobby Bowden....FSU could pay him minimum wage, and he'd still be a millionaire because of all the publicity events he does. You can't watch a 30minute stretch of TV up in the big bend area that doesn't have Bobby in a commercial, whether he's helpin someone sell cars or sell carpet.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Time for my two cents.  I visit each blog quite often, and notice a vast difference.  Not only in temperment, but also in just sheer volume.  Greg does 5 times as much blogging as BMM.  Maybe more.  Has it occured to anybody else that Bret is trying to compete with Greg, and is losing the battle?  So, he tries to write more sensational stories instead of just the bare bones approach?  Really no contest as far as my vote goes to, GA is the winner by knockout and  is still the undisputed heavyweight champion of the blogosphere.

One can never forget the fact that the St Pete Times PAYS $$$$$$$$$$$$ every year to USF Athletics so that their paper can promote that they are the OFFICIAL NEWSPAPER OF USF ATHLETICS.

Personally, I think Greg and Brett are both very talented writers and they do uncover most of their info for their articles...but its been shown through the last few years that if USF Athletics wants to leak out positive info...which person do you think they will email/call with said info?

The one that is connected to the paper already PAYING USF Athletics???

Or the one that is connected to a paper that doesn't?

I'm guessing its the one connected to the paper that PAYS USF Athletics $$$$$$ every year.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

One can never forget the fact that the St Pete Times PAYS $$$$$$$$$$$$ every year to USF Athletics so that their paper can promote that they are the OFFICIAL NEWSPAPER OF USF ATHLETICS.

Personally, I think Greg and Brett are both very talented writers and they do uncover most of their info for their articles...but its been shown through the last few years that if USF Athletics wants to leak out positive info...which person do you think they will email/call with said info?

I'm guessing its the one connected to the paper that PAYS USF Athletics $$$$$$ every year.

I think your conclusion is an easy one to make - but wrong.  There's no quid pro quo, it comes down to relationships.

If USF were "leaking" positive news, would they be more inclined to leak to someone who would report it for what it is, or look for a dark cloud to report it under?  Whether it's a paid sponsor or not, ANY and EVERY school would love to distribute positive news to the press en masse.  If an entity chooses not to report it as such and has a history of negative spin, why would you bother?  If that positive news would be portrayed in a negative light, I wouldn't pass it to him.

A lot also has to do with interaction with the coaches and the programs.  Keep in mind, the leaks wouldn't come in the form of a Sports Information Department release that everyone except Brett gets.  Positive leaks or information come from the relationship the reporter has built with the coaches and administrators...many have commented here that Brett's relationship is pretty poor with many at USF.  If so, that's his bed he made.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Wow....that relationship is sooo strong that Jim Leavitt supposedly kicked all the media from Fall practice a couple of years ago b/c of something the St Pete Times published. Oh, btw....who broke the story on the Ben Moffitt situation and used tabloid style headlines to sell the piece?

As usual, your obsession for USF has clouded reality.  If USF has POSITIVE news to send out, it goes to EVERYBODY, because they want the news to reach as many people as possible.  Duh!

Archived