• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

5 Defensive backups gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Greg reporting that D-linemen Josh Smiley and Brandon Peguese, defensive back Jamaal Jenkins, linebacker Marvin Peoples and defensive tackle Corian Garrison are not on the spring roster.  I am sure more details will be forthcoming later.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Yikes, thats going to hurt the depth for sure.  Garrison most likely would have seen major playing time, while Peguese and Peoples most likely would see the field on special teams.  This is not good.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'll add that at least this happened prior to Spring Practice.  In other words, we know going in there will be concerns at certain positions, and our coaches can account for these concerns.

• Content Count:  737
  • Days Won:  0

Garrison has been hurt, and rumor has had him gone for a while.  Peoples is not a BCS talent, left NC ST to find the competition here just as tough, hes no real loss.  Jenkins would have been a Senior, and was a solid special teamer, but again no really big deal.  Smiley was the primary back-up to Selvie, but with Buie back for another year, Bedford and Marshall coming in bigger and stronger than him, and Chris Robinson (imo) poised to be a great edge rusher, its not too big of dissapointment. Peguese was a high school lb trying to make the transition to dt, but by all accounts a very hard worker and promising player,  with the lack of experience at dt, he probably would have had the biggest impact....

• Content Count:  919

This explains to me the JUCO DL we brought in.  With Marshall and Bedford, along with Selvie, Buie, McClain, and Harris coming back, and McCaskill coming along, the DL should be OK.  

Peoples was a Maryland transfer.

• Content Count:  7,890

What happened to Spires

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

What happened to Spires

It was posted here a while ago.  Didn't make the bowl trip.  Wasn't sure he wanted to play football anymore, but CJL would welcome him back if he changed his mind.

• Content Count:  118

Losing depth is never good, but I am optimistic that Coach Leavitt and the coaching staff will be able to fill the holes with guys from this year's recruiting class.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Personally I think it is still part of the talent we bring in being better than what is here.  A kid like Peoples may have thought he was going to come in and be the man and was surprised at how good the kids already here were.  Julian Riley found that out as will Trent Pupello.  All these kids have to do what is best for them, and sometimes it may be better elsewhere (Chad Simpson).

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Yikes, thats going to hurt the depth for sure.  Garrison most likely would have seen major playing time, while Peguese and Peoples most likely would see the field on special teams.  This is not good.

usf shoukd have redshirt freshman and true freshman ready to step in and do better than these 5 leaving

Archived