• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

R. Edsall pushing for 9th Big East football school

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is a difference between an established BCS small school (ND, Wake, Stanford) and a small school spending to become a BCS caliber team.

Nova looked at the idea in 1999 (or somewhere around there) and decided that it would be to expensive back then.

Georgetown has an awful D-IAA program that would need millions to be competitive on this levels

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

There is a difference between an established BCS small school (ND, Wake, Stanford) and a small school spending to become a BCS caliber team.

Nova looked at the idea in 1999 (or somewhere around there) and decided that it would be to expensive back then.

Georgetown has an awful D-IAA program that would need millions to be competitive on this levels

I understand that and agree with it. However-- the same can be said of UConn prior to their move to 1-A

I thought the point of this thread was to spitball-- not tear down ideas and thoughts.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Its amazing how blind some of our fanbase tries to make things.

1) ND - if they're joing a football conference it will be the Big 10, not the Big East. I coul get into a lot more on the topic of why they are beneficial to the BE in a non football capacity, but I don't have time.

2) ACC/Big 10 team - Remember last year when we got excited about that great TV contract that pays us about 16-17 Mil a year for football and 35 Mil for basketball? By comparison the ACC gets 30 mil/30 mil for football/basketball and the Big 10 gets 40 Mil/26 Mil for basketball. To put it bluntly teams from another conference would be taking a hue paycut to come by in the BE. It's not happening.

3) Navy/Army - Agin this summer they were asked to set a 4 game deal with the BE which would include rights to our bowl games. They said no. Theydon't care to join a conference they make Millions as independent institutions and Army got out of CUSA  as quick as they could.

4) D-IAA team- The Big East has been nothing but the but of jokes since the ACC raid. Want to create more? Example - recent DI-AA champ Western Kentucky decided to move up. They aimed to join the MAC. the MAC said no, they settled with the SUN BELT. While I know USF'S HISTORY ETC, a lot of the rreason for growth was the school putting so much behind the football program. It's rare to see similar instances...USF was the best case senerio, for every USF you have an FIU that dosen't work the same.

I have three candidates.

1) TCU - Somewhat storied program with Texas roots and decent commitment to football. Top 10 media market. Cons - far away, fan support is harsh.

2) UCF - No USF fan will admit this, but UCF has built itslef into the question. Brand new venues, top 20 TV market, and it's close to USF. Cons - Not a great team, could hurt USF.

3) Memphis - Connection to the Liberty bowl, Commited basketball program, talking about a new stadium. Cons- Small TV market, loose fan base, not as strong commitmemnt to football.

The Others - ECU, Marshall.

we must keep ftu/ou/oc out of big east at all costs

I agree 100 %

Archived