• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

State Audit Determines USF mismanages Money

Belle of the Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  478
  • Days Won:  0

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2008/02/14/News/State.Audit.Determines.Usf.Mismanages.Money-3210448.shtml

thanks Mike - this stuff really frustrates me. i love Florida and i love education. seems like the two are always at odds lately. anyway - check out the article above. perfect timing???  ;)

• Content Count:  5,241

Genshaft needs to step up and start addressing the problems instead of not making a public opinon and then do nothing

mods can we merge this thread in with the one about Florida tuition rising please? i linked this article in my post. Just so it doesnt get confusing.

and yes - judy g needs to be a leader - she was kind of hired so this kind of thing doesnt happen.

• Content Count:  3

Genshaft needs to step up and start addressing the problems instead of not making a public opinon and then do nothing

Dr. Genshaft should be more visible to the university community and respond directly to this audit.  I find it troubling that in a time of shrinking budgets the university is found to be mismanaging money.  I also think it is frightening that terminated employees may still have access to USF's information technology.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

This kind of stuff happens when govt organizations are asked to do "more for less".  If other state universities where audited they would have similar issues. In all reality this is the best thing that could ever happen b/c it will spur on the changes that need to happen to make this a great university.

This kind of stuff happens when govt organizations are asked to do "more for less".  If other state universities where audited they would have similar issues. In all reality this is the best thing that could ever happen b/c it will spur on the changes that need to happen to make this a great university.

hence why FL's SUS is majorly screwy. so annoying. not a problem unique to USF but a problem nonetheless. sometimes i am amazed we made it this far with some of the leadership we have.

• Content Count:  280

mods can we merge this thread in with the one about Florida tuition rising please?

I went ahead and split your post as the first one in this thread since you did report it first. But since it is an issue big enough for its own discussion, I thought it'd be better to keep it separate. If people come in here and wanted to discuss this issue, they might not know that it's embedded within the tuition thread. I know that's the mistake I made, :)

• Content Count:  280

I agree that great things will ultimately come out of this, but I just hate that this is what it takes for the changes to occur. Although this is pretty much a case of very weak internal controls which occur everywhere, press like this creates so much worse of a perception than the reality, even though this issue still is serious.

USF has an internal audit department...and I don't mean to call them out, but I'm really curious as to what they have actually been doing over the years. To be fair, maybe they have been doing their job, and were able to resolve much bigger issues down to what was reported in the article. Who knows...

mods can we merge this thread in with the one about Florida tuition rising please?

I went ahead and split your post as the first one in this thread since you did report it first. But since it is an issue big enough for its own discussion, I thought it'd be better to keep it separate. If people come in here and wanted to discuss this issue, they might not know that it's embedded within the tuition thread. I know that's the mistake I made, :)

you are right. although i am not one of those people who care about reporting anything first second or third  ;) i just cant keep up with all the different threads! i seriously don't know how anyone could make 50,000 posts AND have a job at the same time. lol more power to em if they can though!

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I agree that great things will ultimately come out of this, but I just hate that this is what it takes for the changes to occur. Although this is pretty much a case of very weak internal controls which occur everywhere, press like this creates so much worse of a perception than the reality, even though this issue still is serious.

USF has an internal audit department...and I don't mean to call them out, but I'm really curious as to what they have actually been doing over the years. To be fair, maybe they have been doing their job, and were able to resolve much bigger issues down to what was reported in the article. Who knows...

Actually, USF's audit department has proven insufficient to the task.  They really need to shake that department up, and change the entire control paradigm at the university.

Archived