• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK STARS MEAN EVERYTHING..DONT LOOK AT THIS POST !!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

Recruiting - What Happened To the 5-Star Prospects?

How many of the superstar recruits actually pan out? Richard Cirminiello goes back four years to see how many of the 5-star prospects actually lived up to their billing, like former Oklahoma star Adrian Peterson, and which fizzled.

The 5-star recruit.  The Holy Grail for any coaching staff, university, and fan base.  There are good high school players, and then there are the 5-star athletes, the top 1% of available candidates, and the caliber of players that programs and recruiting classes are built around.  However, the glow of landing one of these rare gems can sometimes fade before the following February’s signing day.  The reality is that even the highest-rated recruits can be hit-or-miss, an inexact science that can be exhilarating or unbelievably frustrating.  To illustrate this point, we’ve taken a revisionist look at the 30 5-star recruits from four years ago to see who lived up to expectations and who was living a lie.  We’ve also revised the ratings of each player to reflect how well they’ve matched lofty advanced billings since leaving high school. 

*Historical rankings from 2004 are courtesy of Scout.com

http://cfn.scout.com/2/726341.html

**the stars wouldnt show up on the site, but theres the link !

Heres how the revised rankings brokedown !

5* = 8

4* = 5

3* = 4

2* = 8

1* = 1

0* = 4

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  277

That's nice. 

Call me crazy, but I'd still rather take my chances with a bunch of 5 star recruits than with a bunch of 2 star recruits.

Re-Ranking the 2004 Recruiting Classes

Fell from the top 20: Miami (No. 3), Florida State (No. 4), Michigan State (No. 13), Texas A&M (No. 14), Oregon (No. 15), Texas Tech (No. 17), and North Carolina (No. 18)

http://cfn.scout.com/2/726003.html

That's nice. 

Call me crazy, but I'd still rather take my chances with a bunch of 5 star recruits than with a bunch of 2 star recruits.

You might be right with the way of thinking, but it still doesnt  guarantee success .

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think pbj's point is that a class full of 4 and 5 stars will generally be better than a class full of 2 and 3 stars, coaching being the same.  I agree with that.  However, stars are meaningless as to individual players.

I think pbj's point is that a class full of 4 and 5 stars will generally be better than a class full of 2 and 3 stars, coaching being the same.  I agree with that.  However, stars are meaningless as to individual players.

I understood his point .

but

This was my point .

Fell from the top 20: Miami (No. 3), Florida State (No. 4), Michigan State (No. 13), Texas A&M (No. 14), Oregon (No. 15), Texas Tech (No. 17), and North Carolina (No. 18)

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I understood his point .

but

This was my point .

I understood your point too.

Does it say what schools would have taken the place of those which fell out?  I can't get that link from work.

• Content Count:  4,642

That's nice. 

you wouldn't rather leave it up to CJL to find the recruits who fit our system and our team?  i.e. selvie, grothe

• Content Count:  505

Other than Xavier Lee everyone on that list that didn't rank at least ***1/2 was because of injuries. A couple of kids didn't make it because of NCAA violations or committed a crime.  Other than Lee did anyone on that list just not pan out because of a lack of talent?

When you land a 5 star you want a five star and a 3 1/2 . So any way you slice it, the player didnt live up to his 5 star billing .

Archived