• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Moffitt to anounce new UF ties

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

If it saves lives, Im 100% for it.

• Content Count:  2,118

sounds great especially if it saves lives.

• Content Count:  106

This is terrible news. Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with curing cancer or saving lives. This has everything to do with money and control. The same physicians and researchers that were USF faculty have disassociated themselves from USF and are now looking to join UF. That is no upgrade, just a different name. The tragedy of this is that what sits on our campus and was a boone for the University now still sits on our campus and has turned its back on USF. In order for Moffitt to be successful, a university affiliation is critical. Unfortunately, the administration at Moffitt thought so little of it's affiliation with USF, it never once tried to promote both and act as a partner. It has only held USF at ransom for its own interests. This is as big of a slap in the face as you may ever see in politics and academia. No patients will benefit from this. Only the administration and the academic reputation of UF will benefit. Unfortunately that is at the direct expense of the university that the facility shares its address with.

Don't let the press releases from Moffitt fool you. They have bent USF over for years and finally unzipped and went to town.

This is a disgrace and we all should be insulted. I don't know of any university in the entire US that allows another university that it competes directly with for research grants and public donation to house a major facility on its own campus.

Let's not be so naiive about this. It has nothing to do with fighting cancer and everything to do with control and money.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

This is terrible news. Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with curing cancer or saving lives. This has everything to do with money and control. The same physicians and researchers that were USF faculty have disassociated themselves from USF and are now looking to join UF. That is no upgrade, just a different name. The tragedy of this is that what sits on our campus and was a boone for the University now still sits on our campus and has turned its back on USF. In order for Moffitt to be successful, a university affiliation is critical. Unfortunately, the administration at Moffitt thought so little of it's affiliation with USF, it never once tried to promote both and act as a partner. It has only held USF at ransom for its own interests. This is as big of a slap in the face as you may ever see in politics and academia. No patients will benefit from this. Only the administration and the academic reputation of UF will benefit. Unfortunately that is at the direct expense of the university that the facility shares its address with.

Don't let the press releases from Moffitt fool you. They have bent USF over for years and finally unzipped and went to town.

This is a disgrace and we all should be insulted. I don't know of any university in the entire US that allows another university that it competes directly with for research grants and public donation to house a major facility on its own campus.

Let's not be so naiive about this. It has nothing to do with fighting cancer and everything to do with control and money.

you have NO idea what you are talking about....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

I do know that when I checked out the Moffit website I saw no refernce to USF, but it was easy to find links to UF

• Content Count:  585

I do know that when I checked out the Moffit website I saw no refernce to USF, but it was easy to find links to UF

Man, sometimes people just ache for signs of disprespect...

Here's a link to the Tribune's article on this:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jan/24/me-moffitt-uf-joining-forces/

Tampa's H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute and the University of Florida announced a partnership Wednesday that will benefit Moffitt's efforts to build the world's largest cancer tissue databank.

Shands at the University of Florida at Gainesville hospital will be one of the largest medical centers to contribute patient tissue and information to Moffitt's Total Cancer Care project, in which doctors and researchers follow patients from diagnosis.

Moffitt works with hospitals and physician groups throughout the state to build the databank, which is developed jointly with Merck & Co. Doctors and researchers then will use the information to design therapies for their patients.

The goal, Moffitt Director William S. Dalton said, is to "develop a personalized approach for every patient." An alliance with UF will allow Moffitt to reach that goal more quickly, Dalton said.

One of every seven adults hospitalized at Shands at UF is treated for cancer or cancer-related ailments. "We believe in the strength in numbers," Dalton said.

About 12,000 cancer patients have agreed to donate their tissue to the databank since recruitment began in 2006. Dalton said he hopes to double that number next year.

Moffitt isn't the only one with ambitions. UF and Shands leaders have long sought the designation by the National Cancer Institute that Moffitt holds. Under the new agreement, UF scientists working with Moffitt researchers have more opportunities to win grants from the National Cancer Institute.

The collaboration also will give Shands patients access to larger clinical trials of new therapies, doctors and researchers say.

In return, Moffitt has access to the scientific expertise at UF and Shands, said Bruce Kone, dean of the UF College of Medicine.

UF faculty and Moffitt researchers already work together on other projects, including vaccine development for melanoma and for prostate cancer.

"This agreement will serve as a catalyst for many more," Kone said.

Dalton said the new partnership doesn't affect the one Moffitt has with the University of South Florida. Moffitt is located at USF's campus, and USF and Moffitt researchers work collaboratively.

The new partnership won't compete with the agreement at USF, Dalton said.

"These are not mutually exclusive," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, the family just got bigger."

Also, it took me less than a minute to find references to USF on the Moffitt web page.  For example:

http://www.moffitt.org/Site.aspx?spid=F65EDD5E65204DEF95120E4063C0680D

The Biomedical Library is located in the Medical Research Center, 1st floor, across the street from the hospital, on the campus of the University of South Florida.

USFFan

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

BTW....the best description of the new HLMCC&RI and UF partnership came from UF's President Machen, "....we want a Moffitt franchise at UF".

UF  realizes that it does not have the resources or the support from the NCI to to build a Comprehensive Cancer Center. There are only 31 of these type of centers across Noth America.  Something else to note is that UF approached Moffitt...not the other way around. There are alot of reason why this is important that I can't get into but....let's just say that USF is benefits by having Moffitt on it's campus. In the long run, its going to help USF become a "real" University....and by "real" I am referring to USF ultimately receiving membership to the uber exclusive AAU.

Archived