• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

UCiF has a nice arena. We need to get something similar.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  667

Lest we forget that the business is in educating our young.  This is a state university and this is land set aside for such a purpose.  Athletics is one such venture, the slippery slope is using straight up "for profit" retail on that land and justfying it as something related to athletics/acedemics.  It's just my opinion, though.  I like your facilities, I've just had a problem with how they came to be for quite some time...

HUH??? Dude, UCF's athletic village looks sweet.  So what if they have restaurants and a book store next to the dorms/arena?  If I clearly remember, we have bookstores and restaurants on our campus as well.  They are just located in the Marshall Center.  Bookstores and more places to eat around campus (and especially for ON CAMPUS GAMEDAYS) ain't gonna hurt anybody.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Lest we forget that the business is in educating our young.  This is a state university and this is land set aside for such a purpose.  Athletics is one such venture, the slippery slope is using straight up "for profit" retail on that land and justfying it as something related to athletics/acedemics.  It's just my opinion, though.  I like your facilities, I've just had a problem with how they came to be for quite some time...

HUH??? Dude, UCF's athletic village looks sweet.  So what if they have restaurants and a book store next to the dorms/arena?  If I clearly remember, we have bookstores and restaurants on our campus as well.  They are just located in the Marshall Center.  Bookstores and more places to eat around campus (and especially for ON CAMPUS GAMEDAYS) ain't gonna hurt anybody.

So do you usually hit the athletic village when you are done with class?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476

Man of man the UCF facility reminds me a lot of the USF facility.

:ROFLMAO

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Man of man the UCF facility reminds me a lot of the USF facility.

:ROFLMAO

Hey dickweed, we're actually having a constructive discussion for once. If you can't add to it then keep your thoughts to yourself.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  639

I haven't been to the new Arena yet for a game but it's definitely the gem of the Athletic Village, the football stadium serves it's purpose but doesn't compare to the arena but hopefully upgrades will be done with time. It's like it's own little downtown which is kind of cool w/ the dorms right there, you basically have that area then the opposite side of campus by the fitness center/rec pool as the 2 centers of activity for student living on campus w/ the Student Union in the middle, nice planning by the university wigheads....maybe USF would do something similar if there is room on campus. You basically have to use that model when your campus is not situated in a college town like Gainesville or Tallahassee where the town mixes in w/ their campuses....you have to make your campus like a town to create a similar atmosphere for the students.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I haven't been to the new Arena yet for a game but it's definitely the gem of the Athletic Village, the football stadium serves it's purpose but doesn't compare to the arena but hopefully upgrades will be done with time. It's like it's own little downtown which is kind of cool w/ the dorms right there, you basically have that area then the opposite side of campus by the fitness center/rec pool as the 2 centers of activity for student living on campus w/ the Student Union in the middle, nice planning by the university wigheads....maybe USF would do something similar if there is room on campus. You basically have to use that model when your campus is not situated in a college town like Gainesville or Tallahassee where the town mixes in w/ their campuses....you have to make your campus like a town to create a similar atmosphere for the students.

Well, you don't have to use that model.  In fact, there are ethical issues with that model.  I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why building a strip mall on your campus is good for academic enrichment.  It is not even remotely the same thing as a student union as mentioned.

How is leasing or giving away land/facilities to private companies being a good steward of state resources?  I don't get it.  I do get the fact that everyone in charge but Hitt is no longer with your school.

Secondly, can anyone name another school that has such facilities on campus property?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Well, you don't have to use that model.  In fact, there are ethical issues with that model.  I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why building a strip mall on your campus is good for academic enrichment.  It is not even remotely the same thing as a student union as mentioned.

How is leasing or giving away land/facilities to private companies being a good steward of state resources?  I don't get it.  I do get the fact that everyone in charge but Hitt is no longer with your school.

Secondly, can anyone name another school that has such facilities on campus property?

Ethical issues??  :D

Only ethical issues is how the state has kept schools like USF and UCF down for decades and decades as the biggest pie of state funding always went to UF.

What Dr Hitt has done is nothing short of amazing as instead of waiting 10-20 more years till state funding for more dorms, etc...would come him...he invited PRIVATE companies to do it BETTER and do it NOW!!

Imagine that...Private companies can do it BETTER and do it NOW!!

What a concept...as he saved the state HUNDREDS of Millions of future $$$$ building ugly dorms.

Plus, UCF is now its own self-contained University...as maybe for the first time ever (or at least in larger numbers), not every student at UCF even has a CAR...as they general can find everything they need on-campus and have access to shuttles/buses for off-campus.

What UCF/Dr Hitt did was different...as they didn't wait till the state $$$ came in...they decided to go out and GET IT on their own...which enable UCF to have a much better finished product overall...which is helping attract better and better students.

That to me sounds like it was the ethical thing to do.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  667

ETHICAL issues?  HUH???  If you don't want universities to sell their souls to corporate america, then maybe we should kick Beef O' Brady's and Moe's out of the Marshall Center.  While we're at it, we could kick out Starbucks from the library.

And to answer your previous question if I'd visit the athletic village after class, the answer is YES.  I actually like studying at bookstores, so I'd probably study at that Barnes & Noble (or whatever bookstore UCF has in that strip), and I'd probably grab a bite to eat while I'm down there.  If they have a barbershop, I'd get my haircut.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  639

I understand you questioning an ethics part of it but it's simply a strategy UCF used to compete w/ the other state schools and it has worked in my opinion. Pre 2000 is was pretty easy to get into UCF but now it's pretty difficult, gradually getting more difficult every year. UCF was built w/ the circular model that made it walkable and appealing even before the added village on the north side. Hitt and company thought enhancing the campus life/amenities was a priority and thought a lot of potential high quality students would take it into account to steal a few away from UF and other schools. There was a St. Pete Times and Oracle article on this topic a year ago that sums it up pretty good about the options at UF and UCF's campus even on late night weekends, all things that students take into account along w/ their intended Academic track. I'm not sure other schools that have tried the same thing but I think FAU may try it but the economy might slow down the process for them. Most schools that need to do this are either 'city schools' or in UCF's case a 'suburban' school. If you have been to Gainesville, they have a strip right across campus w/ restaurants and bars that's technically off campus but you would never know you left campus....across the street from UCF's north side you have deed restricted neighborhoods so you have to build it up your own way to erase the commuter image.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/14/State/UCF_finds_its_ameniti.shtml

http://www.usforacle.com/2.6025/1.619845