• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mind numbing UCF/USF drivel, et al

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I wish UCF the best of luck in their Bowl Game...

whoopsie doodles!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  476
  • Days Won:  0

whoopsie doodles!

Fair enough ;D

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

whoopsie doodles!

Fair enough ;D

Don't make fun of another man's Yugo when you've only got a Huffy.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

HOK designed UCF's as well and it cost $52 million. I'm kind of afraid to do this but here's a link to it (don't hurt me).......

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/ot/new-arena-dev.html

Any idea where they'd put it?

that thing is beautiful

How many people does the UCF arena hold?  I'm not saying this just because it's UCF but that arena looks small and small time.

With Big East Basketball the best there is in the land, any success at all would sell out the 10,400 seat Sun Dome.  If there is a new facility built, it needs to be at least that. 

(I think I forgot to click post on my original response)

As others noted, UCF arena has 9,500 seats...and can hold approx 10,200 for concerts.

Reason why the arena works so well is that it is the first collegiate facility in the state with "low level suites/sky boxes" and low level "club seats".

Also, because of the location/land requirements that were needed to fit this facility into the available space in the village (note: basically in the front print of the old pond area that was in front of the old arena, which is still there...as the old arena was refurbished into 3 different facilities: 1,800 seat theater for concerts/shows and new home for UCF Volleyball, plus 2 separate and complete UCF Basketball Training Facilities for UCF Men's and Women's), the arena has a somewhat oblong shape seating area with the largest 2nd level section behind the south basket in these pictures below (hard to see but not needed for most games at this tmie)...which is why the lower level seating is so good...and even the 2nd level sideline seats are great as there are not too many rows.

PS. From a revenue side...you can earn more revenue from lower level club seats/suite/sky box sales than you could if those were located on the 2nd level and/or top of the arena (like the Magic are stuck with at Amway)...or how Ice Palace Club seats are located in the 2nd level, not the lower level..but they also have lower level suites too.

P1050017.JPG

P1050036.JPG

Believe the open level above one of the student sections can be added in later years if attendance dictates increased capacity. (i.e. 1,500 more seats or so).  Shown here:

IMG_1036.JPG

With a new arena...maybe this gal will be wearing one of your hoop jersey's sometime in the future!

Photo taken from her sold out show last night at the UCF Arena:

(Yes, that's Carrie Underwood...no idea what she does or sings, but she's hot!)

734118.jpg

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557

When I think of athletic village, a better option is something like what cinci did.  The rebuilt their stadium, student union, fitness center, and many other "university related" things into a village around the rebuilt stadium and arena.  It was very impressive.  I'm not a fan of building strip malls with surf shops and random bars/restaurants on state universities, even  though it funds the building of the arenas  and such when you don't have fan support or money to build them outright.  l'd rather see the real estate used for school related things, it's called being a good steward of state property.

When I think of athletic village, a better option is something like what cinci did.  The rebuilt their stadium, student union, fitness center, and many other "university related" things into a village around the rebuilt stadium and arena.  It was very impressive.  I'm not a fan of building strip malls with surf shops and random bars/restaurants on state universities, even  though it funds the building of the arenas  and such when you don't have fan support or money to build them outright.  l'd rather see the real estate used for school related things, it's called being a good steward of state property.

What UC did was great too...but remember, we, FLA, are state poor...and the state didn't have all the $$$$ that were needed to build all the infrastructure a booming yet young University like UCF needed (i.e. new parking garages, upgraded/private bedroom dorms, etc...).

The reason for the shops/restaurants/sports bar is that they help attract visitors to arena events...before AND after shows/concerts/games...much more so that Orlando's old downtown arena that doesn't have ANY bars/restaurants located just steps away from their doors.

The East side of Orlando is basically turning into its "own" city...complete with all the shopping, recreation, education, entertainment, sports, etc...as there are virtually zero reasons now to venture to downtown Orlando unless one has to for work...or if they want to see those that inject themselves with dirty needles.

Just like folks in the Bay area do not like to go or sometimes DON'T even go to the "other side" of the Bay....East Orlando is becoming much of the same...as in the area is built up so much there is ZERO need to go/visit downtown Orlando. (Last time I was in Downtown Orlando was last Feb for a luncheon...haven't been back and haven't missed anything of value).

I think UC built what UC needed at the time...and I think UCF was very creative in using private $$$$ to help build facilities well before they would have been provided by the state (i.e. new dorms, new parking garages, new eateries, etc...

Just seeing the huge new Barnes & Noble book store in the Village on game days during football season shows what location, location, location can do for one's business.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557

I think UC built what UC needed at the time...and I think UCF was very creative in using private $$$$ to help build facilities well before they would have been provided by the state (i.e. new dorms, new parking garages, new eateries, etc...

Just seeing the huge new Barnes & Noble book store in the Village on game days during football season shows what location, location, location can do for one's business.

Lest we forget that the business is in educating our young.  This is a state university and this is land set aside for such a purpose.  Athletics is one such venture, the slippery slope is using straight up "for profit" retail on that land and justfying it as something related to athletics/acedemics.  It's just my opinion, though.  I like your facilities, I've just had a problem with how they came to be for quite some time...

Lest we forget that the business is in educating our young.  This is a state university and this is land set aside for such a purpose.  Athletics is one such venture, the slippery slope is using straight up "for profit" retail on that land and justfying it as something related to athletics/acedemics.  It's just my opinion, though.  I like your facilities, I've just had a problem with how they came to be for quite some time...

Entertainment, Arts, Living Facilities, etc...are all about the University experience too.

Face it...UC and UCF are two totally different institutions with 2 totally different needs.

UC is a 190 yr old INsitution located basically right next door to downtown Cincinnati...surrounding immediately by parks and neighborhoods.

UC necessarily doesn't need "restaurants, new dorms, etc....since much of their building for their University has taken place over the last 100 plus years.

UCF, built by the state in the "middle of no where" needed to basically build their own infrastructure/campus/"city".

Just like how USF's new Student Union adds to the campus "life" of USF...and how the SunDome for the past 28 years brought top notch entertainment and sporting events to USF's campus for the past 3 decades, the new UCF arena will do the same.

However, compared to 30 years ago or so...state funds are tight...VERY TIGHT in regards to campus facilities and Dr Hitt has done an incredible job with using what he has gotten and then gone out and secure private funding where needed (i.e. $20 Million land donation for UCF's Medical School and their Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences at Lake Nona...to the Village Dorm project, etc...).

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Your seats look like corn!