• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Getting back to the last game against Pitt...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

Mike Ford got benched after 2 fumbles against Pitt?...I can't remember, but I think that was the deal.

I wonder, because if his ball security needs work, is it a lack of coaching, and then the same coaches bench him?

Have they worked on technique and he's not moving it to the field?

Remember the Tiki Barber Hight and Tight technique? Changed his life. I wonder if that or something similar would impact Mike's game. I love watching that guy run and want to see him really bust out next year.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It was only one fumble and he got back into the game in the second half.  He does need to work on his mechanics because I want to see him on the field often come 2008.  He totally changes the way a defensive gameplan is called!

• Content Count:  1,757

He did have one fumble and one "near miss" at the end that was thankfully a clear-cut non-fumble both called and on replay.  It still made me hold my breath there for a second.  I would assume that the coaches are pounding the ball-security drills into him during practice... at least I sure hope so. 

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

It bummed me out that was the way it ended.  I hope he can have a big game in the bowl game to carry into the off-season.

• Content Count:  115

Ford while having alot of upside is still a freshman.  The reason for his fumbles is that he tends to care the ball to low.  Hopefully he kicks that habit.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

I think even with the kinks to work out we are way better off with him in the game.

• Content Count:  1,757

I think even with the kinks to work out we are way better off with him in the game.

Agreed.  He is a very talented RB. 

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Ford had 2 fumbles that game...  one was a turnover, the other went out of bounds and we retained posession.

he has clear technique issues.

he holds the ball too low, too lose and he runs too tall.  at 6'2, he needs to learn how to run lower, hold the ball higher and tighter.

that said, i think there may well be a coaching issue... Amarri has been holding the ball low and loose, swinging it out from his body for 3 years now.  i've seen Grothe do the same, altho as a QB it ultimately comes down to when he makes the decision to tuck and run, or continue to scramble for the pass.

Archived