• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

EMAIL ADMINISTRATION FOR HOT BAND TO GO TO SUN BOWL!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

1) USF will receive 1.9 Million Dollars(as Oracle states) AND Travel expenses.  That is 1.9 million PLUS Travel Expenses for Team/Band/Cheer Squads/SunDolls.

Can anyone clarify if that's what that means? 1.9MM plus travel expenses for team/band/spirit squads is quite different than 1.9MM plus travel expenses for team only. It would seem to me that if what's said above is true (i.e. we get travel expenses for the band), it's a no-brainer.

BTW...yes, the travel expenses ARE for the TEAM/BAND/SPIRIT SQUADS...etc.

That is a FACT!!!  The problem is...(a)WE HAVE A BIG BAND (B) EL PASO IS KINDA FAR(24hr Drive), and the money alloted might not cover the amount of people we have and DISTANCE they'd have to travel.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many are in the HOT?

I dont know how the "band" works... is there a "first chair" section and then 4000 "other people" who just kinda stand around and play once in a while?

This is another reason that(i think) the HOT offices are nervous about the decision.  Because "IF" they decide to only take 150 people, that leaves the other 150 Band Members out to dry(USF HOT is Approx. 300 Members)  They'd have to take based on seniority and stuff like that...or maybe they'd take who's in the BBall Band.  I don't know...

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  416

400k is the most the Big East has stated they give out for Travelling expenses for teams to bowl. If we got the whole 400k I wonder how that gets divied up to transport what some 600 people plus equipment.

ADM??? Can you make a STICKY out of this Topic??? Just for a couple of days.  Make sure it doesn't disappear...

THX

GO BULLS!!!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Oh, I don't think it will disappear.  There seems to be great interest. 

I'm still grappling with the diminishing returns of a 300 member band (happily thinking to myself "glad it's not 500 members").  I was never in the band and never paid a whole lot of attention to it, so I don't mean to be offensive when I say this.  But I think the school will settle on a reasonable amount of band. 300?  Cripes.  That's a lot of expense.  I didn't even know there were 300 in the band.  I get the argument of impact, but what size is a normal band?  And what size typically travel?  Will our opponent be bringing a small musical village with them too?  What is typical in these bowl games?  300?  Wow.  It seems to me 200 or 250 would look pretty **** huge too, but then I admittedly know nothing about band traditions and travel parties.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

some of things stated in this thread goe against everything we have read the past two weeks in terms of how much of the payouts would be given to USF.

THe number is better--- 1.5 is better than 1 mm that the lesser BE bowls get. But the 1.9mm goes into the conference pool.

THe travel costs are helped through the same pool-- with distance traveled giving you more cash to use.

I would be very surprised if the whole band isn't going

• Content Count:  296

We're probably a little on the small size for a college band, but still growing. Most bands from big schools are 350-450.

• Content Count:  645

Oh, I don't think it will disappear.  There seems to be great interest. 

I'm still grappling with the diminishing returns of a 300 member band (happily thinking to myself "glad it's not 500 members").  I was never in the band and never paid a whole lot of attention to it, so I don't mean to be offensive when I say this.  But I think the school will settle on a reasonable amount of band. 300?  Cripes.  That's a lot of expense.  I didn't even know there were 300 in the band.  I get the argument of impact, but what size is a normal band?  And what size typically travel?  Will our opponent be bringing a small musical village with them too?  What is typical in these bowl games?  300?  Wow.  It seems to me 200 or 250 would look pretty **** huge too, but then I admittedly know nothing about band traditions and travel parties.

I agree with you to a point for sure.  I also know these kids put in a LOT of time and effort througout the year for the team, the fans, and the school.  Approximately 9 hours of practice each week plus the all day commitment on Saturdays.  And we all know those uniforms have to be hot.  

At some point expenses surely have to be taken into account, but I sure wouldn't want to be the one telling one our dedicated band members that they don't get to go on the Bowl trip...  

Hopefully, the right decision will be made.  Also consider this - If the entire band does not go, how do you get kids in future years to make the commitment?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

We're probably a little on the small size for a college band, but still growing. Most bands from big schools are 350-450.

Holy cow bull!    :o :o :o

Anywhere from 300-350 is a normal size band in the College venue.  Some schools like FSU, LSU, Texas Tech, FAMU have upwards of 450-475.  BUT, if you look at their school numbers, the size of the band is very close to 1% of their student body, as long as their Music Dept is decent.

HOT Band will be MUCH bigger in the future.  The 297 members they have now will be dwarfed next year when the band will reach upwards of about 350.  I think after that, Dr. Robinson will start auditioning for the bands lower spots.  They only have 400 uniforms and not enough INSTRUMENTS for the amount of people they bring in.  They borrow instruments from local High Schools...right now.

GO BULLS!!!

Archived