• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does a Sun Bowl bid = more money for USF?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Yes, the payout is higher from the bowl, but doesn't the money go to the conference? Doesn't USF's share come directly from the Big East?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

yes, The Big East gives the most to the BCS team, then the Sun/Gator gets 1.5 million, the other bowls get 1 million

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Here's a news article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

The relevant paragraph:

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

The dollar figures given only add up to $7.5 million, which is far less than even the BCS game is worth. I assume the rest is divided equally amongst the member schools (with the non-football schools perhaps getting some).

In other words: in terms of financial windfall, making a bowl game is mostly a pass/fail proposition. Any game is worth $1.1M in extra revenue; the top bowl game is only worth $1.3M m ore than the bottom bowl game.

• Content Count:  2,726

I believe its a tired system.  Every bowl team gets a portion of the winnings for Conference Bowls.  But some is left over to give to those teams that do not make a bowl game.  But the better bowl you get as a team increases the amount of money your particular school recieves...

Lets say this...

BCS NC Game(WVU) gets 35%

SUN(USF) gets 22%

MCCB(UConn) gets 13%

Pizza(Cincy) and International(Rutgers) get around 10% each

Cuse, Louisville and PITT share 10% for just being in the conference.

If anyone wants to verify this go ahead...I could be on CRACK though.  I am just guessing...

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  12,293

I'd be curious to see where that extra money goes too...hopefuly they do not have Rays executives doing their accounting!

you really think that Brad actually funds this site out of his own pocket?

;)

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If we win the conference we can get the dining hall.  Next year's motto should be "War dining hall!"

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Hey, if we go to the Sun bowl maybe we should spend the extra $500,000 by giving 1,000 people $500 dollars to go to the game.  Or give 2,000 people $250 to help finance and maybe I could go!!!

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

BCS team gets $2.0-million, Sun Bowl team gets $1.5-million, and the other three bowl teams get $1.0-million each. In addition, each team will get between $100,000 and $400,000 for travel expenses, but that is based solely on distance traveled.

Archived