• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Murray sets state TD record

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

Plant junior quarterback Aaron Murray, in his first year starting, broke the state record for touchdown passes with two Friday in the first quarter against Jefferson in the region semifinals. Murray, who entered the game with 47 touchdowns, topped the mark set last year by former Panthers star Robert Marve (48), who led the Panthers to a state championship.

Murray tied the mark with a 54-yard-TD to Derek Winter, then claimed the record as his own with a 17-yard touchdown to Kevin James in the first quarter. Murray finished 12-20 for 289 yards and INT - just his fourth of the season.

Murray's main target was Winter in the 40-14 region semi win, as Winter racked up six catches for 211 yards and 3 TDs.

“I could throw for 80 TDs and 4,000 yards - but if we didn’t win the state title, it wouldn’t be the same,†Murray said before the game. “The goal is to win the whole thing.â€Â

http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2007/11/murray-sets-sta.html#comments

Murray takes potential state record in stride

Plant junior quarterback Aaron Murray, just one touchdown pass away from a state record, has politely shrugged off the stats this week.

The first year starter has tossed 47 touchdowns (only 3 INTs) in leading Plant to a 10-1 record heading into tonight's region semi against Jefferson. His mentor, Robert Marve (Miami) set the record in last year's state title run, throwing 48 in 15 games.

More than likely - win or lose - Murray will grab hold of history tonight. Not that he's planning on making a big deal out of it.

"I could throw for 80 TDs and 4,000 yards - but if we didn't win the state title, it wouldn't matter," Murray said. "The goal is to win the whole thing."

Murray defers credit to teammates, his top targets like Derek Winter, now-injured Cornelius Gallon, tailback Lovell Jackson. Even Kevin James, who's come on for 26 receptions.

Plant coach Bob Weiner said Murray's season has been special, adding that he's never had anyone with such great decision making under center. After all, of Murray's INTs, one was tipped (and he got it back on a fumble), the other was last second toss near end of half. The third, was, probably "his only bad throw all year."

But when comparing Murray to Marve - which has happened quite a bit all year, from opposing players to coaches to even his teammates. Weiner made one point clear.

"Robert was one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever come out of Hillsborough County," Weiner said. "And a main reason was that he led his team to 15-0 and a state championship. That's the standard."

State-record, or not.

-- JOE SMITH

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

i must be out of the loop...is he one of our early commits or has he shown interest in USF?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

i must be out of the loop...is he one of our early commits or has he shown interest in USF?

USF is one of his favorites.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

He would be a perfect fit for our offense, hopefully we get the full court press on this kid and land him. 

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

This is the type of local talent we need to secure for sure, hope we land him.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Not to be debbie downer here, but have you guys seen him play?

I am always a little skeptical when one "all-world" guy leaves and is immediately replaced by an "all-universe" guy. Is this a Hawaii type system?

Just curious, sounds like a great recruit, and i know CJL will evaluate based on talent and not numbers. I would hate to have to recruit HS QB's, very few high schools really throw enough to let you see what the QB is made of. I bet my HS didn't throw 49 times this year, much less have 49 TD's.

I have spoke to people that have seen him play.he is the real deal.

This guy won the Elite-11 competition for the JRs.

He might be better than Marve.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

We offered him, I trust in Leavitt.

Archived