• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Courant -- Sun Bowl: Looks Like WVU or Cincy, U Conn to Charlotte

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,478
  • Days Won:  13

From an article in the Hartford Courant:

Sun Won't Shine On UConn

By SHAWN COURCHESNE |  Courant Staff Writer

November 23, 2007

If UConn loses to West Virginia Saturday when it plays for the Big East title, indications are the Huskies probably will not receive a bid to the Brut Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve in El Paso, Texas.

If UConn defeats West Virginia, it would earn the Big East's automatic berth into a BCS Bowl game, but a loss to the Mountaineers would likely make Cincinnati the team favored by the Sun Bowl selection committee to represent the Big East.

Sun Bowl selection committee chair John Folmer said Wednesday UConn had been the committee's favorite before its loss to the Bearcats Nov. 10.

"I've been doing this 37 years," Folmer said. "Who would have thought three years ago when we were sitting down formulating this with the Big East that we'd have the possibility of three 9-3 teams? That's incredible. To have a choice of three 9-3 teams from the Big East conference. And that's not counting the one that's going to be in the BCS."

Folmer said UConn (9-2, 5-1 Big East) and Cincinnati (8-3, 3-3) are neck-and-neck in the eyes of the selection committee, but a UConn loss at West Virginia coupled with a Cincinnati victory Saturday night against Syracuse would probably make the Bearcats the favorites.

UConn is ranked 20th in the Associated Press writers' poll and 21st in the USA Today coaches' poll. Cincinnati is 24th in the AP poll but likely would move past UConn if it wins and the Huskies lose.

Folmer said that would likely weigh heavily with the committee. He said South Florida (8-3, 3-3) also is in the mix.

"Unfortunately UConn, even though they're ranked higher now, has probably got more at risk than any of them," Folmer said. "If they were to get beat by West Virginia, they might drop out of the poll completely, which I think would be totally unfair considering how good they've been."

One thing Folmer said is in UConn's favor is its Northeast location. He said a Northeast team would be a big attraction for CBS, which broadcasts the game.

"We'd be crazy not to want that because of the TV numbers," Folmer said. "We're on CBS. We're the second oldest property they have after The Masters. Our relationship with them makes a big difference to us."

Folmer said the selection committee is not worried about the drawing power of any school involved. He said the 52,000 Sun Bowl will likely sell out no matter how many fans the Big East and likely Pac-10 representative bring.

"We're the second oldest bowl and we've stayed in business for a reason and that's because our community is behind this every year," Folmer said. "We provide 8,000 tickets to each school and we'll sell right up to that number, and as soon as the two teams are announced, people that have been around here a long time will start calling the universities and buying some of their tickets."

If UConn is left out of the Sun Bowl, the next most likely option could be the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C. In addition to the Sun Bowl, the Big East also has bowl affiliations with the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., and the International Bowl in Toronto. The Gator Bowl, in Jacksonville, Fla., has a split affiliation with the Big East and Big 12 and is expected to go with a Big 12 team.

Source

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

If they select Cincy on Tuesday I hope they get stuck with Oregon State. I didn't know how important it was for them to get a team from the North.

• Content Count:  416

Earghh. Cincinatti getting the bid would be the worst for USF as Rutgers and UConn have a better perception of road travel.

• Content Count:  4,501

Well imagine a Connecticut sports writer thinking we are the bottom of the barrell.  LOL

• Content Count:  1,981

Earghh. Cincinatti getting the bid would be the worst for USF as Rutgers and UConn have a better perception of road travel.

It does not matter with this bowl because, like article clearly states, the bowl has a very strong local support. The bowl game will be a sell out no matter what teams are selected.

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

Hey Jim,

Who do you believe, the Trib states they said they will take the highest team and we would probably jump Cincy with a win against Pitt.  This article all but states we are a tiny part of consideration for this bowl.  Man two totally different spins.  Just goes to show we won't know until the invites are sent!

Just win, GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  2,726

Yea...but they didn't put in this article that the Bowl WILL take the 2nd highest ranked team after our Automatic BCS bid is filled.

Sorry UConn Paper but you are wrong.

GO BULLS!!!

^^^ There has not been anything saying the WILL take the highest ranked out of USF, U Conn, or Cincy... just a discussion of what factors are considered... the article that said they focus a bit on rankings also noted that USF and Cincy could end up one space ahead/behind each other... in that case, other factors could take over (head to head, for example)...

I think the Sun Bowl folks are assuming Cincy beats Syracuse and WVU beats U Conn...

So it would appear -- for USF to be assured of going El Paso, we need to win... hope WVU wins big... and hope the Orange bear Cincy...

• Content Count:  701

this bowl sh** is driving me crazy

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

yeah but cinncy beat usf in tampa

who cares about perception of road travel

usf needs to beat these basketball schools in football on a consistent basis

another  embarassing end of year

Archived