• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Poor CBS Bowl Preditions

Actually it could be Toronto if Pizza wants a change from last year.  Remember Cincy played in Toronto last year.  If we win next week and end the season ranked we have a shot at the Sun Bowl just because they might get a couple ranked teams playing.

The Sun Bowl selects third in the Pac 10... However, the Pac 10 will have two teams in the BCS, which means the Sun Bowl will get the fourth team from the Pac 10, which will be Oregon State or Cal - both will probably be 7-5 and neither of them will be ranked.

Why is the Car Care bowl vs FSU seem seem not be a possibility now?

It is a possibility... but may not play out...

Consider the ACC:

The Car Care, Music City, and Emerald Bowl all select from the 5/6/7 teams (they work together for geography, history, and other factors). 

The ACC selections go like this:

1 - BCS (ACC Champion winner)

2 - Chik Fil A  (usually the runner up, but could be another team - for example VT played there last year)

3 - Gator

4 - Champs Sports

These four bowls will take BC, Va Tech, Virginia, and Clemson in some order.

That leaves Ga Tech and Florida State (both of whom will likely finish 7-5) and Wake Forest (who will finish 8-4 or 7-5).  The last bowl team in the ACC will be the 6-6 winner of NC State & Maryland, but they will go to Boise, Idaho.

So, the people in Charlotte, Nashville, and San Francisco will talk about who to take... I think Wake goes to Charlotte because of geography, FSU goes to Nashville against a Big 10 team, and Georgia Tech goes to the Emerald Bowl.

On the Big East side, if WVU beats U Conn next weekend they will go to the BCS, and drop U Conn to 9-3 (with Cincy and USF if they both win against 'Cuse and Pitt respectively). Rutgers plays at Louisville, which will not be an easy game for them.  RU wins and is 8-4, loses and is 7-5.

If the "two-win rule" applies to either conference games or overall record, then a Rutgers loss would mean the Sun Bowl could not take the Scarlet Knights (U Conn would be 9-3/5-2, Rutgers would be 7-5/3-4).  Now, if it only applies to conference games, then Rutgers could be selected ahead of USF or Cincy regardless of win or loss.

I expect Cincy will go to Charlotte or Birmingham, Rutgers to Charlotte or Toronto, and USF to Charlotte or Toronto.

Yup. It's clear as mud.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Thanks for the clarificaiton.  And that would suck if they do.  That would mean Pizza bowl again.

PapaJohn's.com would definitely prefer to have someone else over us.

The funnier thing about CBS' predicitions are that they have Cincinnati going to the Sun Bowl to play Oregon State, a team the Bearcats ripped earlier in the season. Bowl do what they can to stay away from teams who play during the season.

Sun or Meineke would be the most likely possibilities if we beat Pitt.

• Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Is the one-win rule still in effect? I could find no mention of it at the official Big East website.

Is the one-win rule still in effect? I could find no mention of it at the official Big East website.

It's never been on the Big East website... it's been mentioned in news reports - most recently by Brett McMurphy after the Cincy loss.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

If we finish 9-3 and Rutgers finishes 7-5 I don't believe they can pick Rutgers over us but I believe they can if Rutgers finishes 8-4. One of the bowl experts will answer that better than I.

You are correct, teams with better overall records have to be selected before teams with lesser wins.  The only time you can choose one over the other is if they have the same record (ex. 2 teams finishing 7-5)

not true.....

an 8-4 team can be picked over a 9-3 team, but a 6-6 team cant be picked over a 7-5 team.

I think the 2 game difference is for conference games not overall.  Meaning a 7-5(3-4) Rutgers could be taken over 9-3(4-3) USF. 

I believe you are right, Sanjay...

but a 9-3(5-2) U Conn team has to be taken before a 7-5(3-4) Rutgers team.

• Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, this person does not read standings well what a mistake.

Meineke Car Care Dec. 29 Charlotte ESPN ACC No. 5/6/7 vs. Big East No. 3 Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers

Excuse me, Rutgers will not finish 3rd in the Big East standing, more like fourth.

how do you figure.  If USF, Cincinnati, and Rutgers wins their next game, all 3 teams finish 4-3 in the conference tied for 3rd.  There are no tie-breakers rules for 3rd place (or 2nd) in the BE conference.

Wow, this person does not read standings well what a mistake.

Meineke Car Care Dec. 29 Charlotte ESPN ACC No. 5/6/7 vs. Big East No. 3 Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers

Excuse me, Rutgers will not finish 3rd in the Big East standing, more like fourth.

how do you figure.  If USF, Cincinnati, and Rutgers wins their next game, all 3 teams finish 4-3 in the conference tied for 3rd.  There are no tie-breakers rules for 3rd place (or 2nd) in the BE conference.

The poster didn't realize that "place" doesn't matter for bowl games.

Archived