• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN: Does the Mohawk make the man?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

"TAMPA, Fla. -- Some believe it was University of South Florida senior linebacker Ben Moffitt. Others credit junior center Jake Griffin. If it's a stalemate, freshman wide receiver Carlton Mitchell is more than willing to claim responsibility for being the first of the Mohicans.

Wherever the notion came from, there were more than 40 raging Bulls sporting Mohawks against No. 5-ranked West Virginia back in late September. The West Virginia state slogan is "Wild and Wonderful," but USF appropriated the concept and stunned the Mountaineers 21-13. Eleven years after the program matriculated to Division I, the Cult of the Mohawk, circa 2007, had commenced."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3111663

• Content Count:  1,238

"TAMPA, Fla. -- Some believe it was University of South Florida senior linebacker Ben Moffitt. Others credit junior center Jake Griffin. If it's a stalemate, freshman wide receiver Carlton Mitchell is more than willing to claim responsibility for being the first of the Mohicans.

Wherever the notion came from, there were more than 40 raging Bulls sporting Mohawks against No. 5-ranked West Virginia back in late September. The West Virginia state slogan is "Wild and Wonderful," but USF appropriated the concept and stunned the Mountaineers 21-13. Eleven years after the program matriculated to Division I, the Cult of the Mohawk, circa 2007, had commenced."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3111663

"That's the whole rock-star look."

Party like a rock-star!!!

Go Bulls!!!

• Content Count:  566

I love our mohawks, and that was a cool article...watch the video too...even better!

• Content Count:  1,261

lol. Article said we've been D1 for 11 years.. ::)

I give.

• Content Count:  958

lol. Article said we've been D1 for 11 years.. ::)

I give.

We have been D1 for 11 years, we started in 1-AA and moved to 1-A

However, It's a common misconception :)

• Content Count:  1,261

I think everyone reading that article would consider that (D1) to be D 1-A, when, in fact we werent full time D-1A til 2002

we played some D-II opponents our inaugural year but w/e..

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

1A (FBS) and 1AA (FCS) are BOTH Division 1 NCAA sports subdivisions.

so yes, we have been Division 1 for 11 years--- 1997-2000 at the 1AA (now FCS) level and 2001-present at the 1A (now FBS) level.

the inaccuracy in the article is that we "matriculated" to Division 1, which is not true.  the program started at D1AA, and "matriculated" to 1A, but both are Division 1 so we did not technically move up to Division 1, we simply moved up within the Division 1 subdivisions.

Archived