• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Straight Losses: Get It Off Your Chest & Point Your Finger

Who/what deserves the most blame for the three straight losses? Explain why.  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Who/what deserves the most blame for the three straight losses? Explain why.

I'm of the opinion its the OL and injuries which are forcing Grothe to press and throw INTs since there is no run game.  He's actually a victim of some of his own success trying to make plays that are not really there.  If you look back at the first six games, the Bulls did run the ball some.  Ford had big runs in the Auburn and WVU game in the first qtr to open the opposing teams Ds.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,363

Is there a way to make check boxes instead of radio buttons? I'd like to pick multiple answers...

• Content Count:  1,066

Is there a way to make check boxes instead of radio buttons? I'd like to pick multiple answers...

Ditto

• Content Count:  4,738

how about lack of execution/mental mistakes?

• Content Count:  131

Sure there are many reasons for the team’s lack of success, but that’s football. We are going to have injuries every year. Until we get better recruits there are going to be dropped balls, ect.

Most of it goes on the offensive coordinator. I wont be an armchair qb and call out his play calling(in specific situations). What really pisses me off is how he is utilizing the talent he has.

Grothe is short, quick, weak arm

Our oline is small and quick

Our receivers can run but don’t have the greatest hands

This means we should roll out grothe, short passes, screens, reverses, ect. Im not saying you cant keep grothe in the pocket, its just he isn’t at his best there.

Greg Gregory’s mentality for the offense is off, I honestly think we would be better off with rod smith  this year.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

You should have created a box that says, turnovers.  That is why we lost the last two games.  RU we were just outplayed.

• Content Count:  771

If smazza was a choice, i'd put my vote there.

For this though, I feel that Grothe, allbeit a great player, needs to have two things happen over the next year on his part to take this team to a BCS bowl...

1- Confidence in receivers needs to grow- knowing who to throw to, getting the ball down the field and out of the 10-15 yard jaunts we always play. We are known for the short passing game... lets bring it up a bit more and make the other team work for an interception.

2- Not running the ball as much. Offense needs to run more plays to get people out and the ball in the air. When he does run, it has been going from good, to bad to worse. The ball needs to be in play more by other players. I dont want to use the term of showboating, but geesh... give some other players a chance to run it up field.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

i think it's a number of things all happening at once...

in no particular order...

* INJURIES - losing TJ and yes, Amarri too, not only depletes our receiving core of its two upper-classmen, but it takes away one of our most solid set of hands (TJ) and on-field leadership and blockers (Amarri).  the OL has been dinged up all year, and Walt going down not only gave us one less solid guy on the line, but took another senior off the field from an offense that desperately needs that kind of experience, composure and leadership.

* OFFENSIVE PLAYCALLING - Gregory's 7 page playbook is not cutting it anymore.  the BBQ run, QB read, 5 wide, punt sequence is not working.  the bread and butter may have worked the first 6 games (and none of those, except UNC and UCF, were imposing wins), but everybody from the opposing team's coaches, to defenses, to f***ing TV commentators and wives/girlfriends/children that don't know crap about football can predict exactly what plays we're calling by the formation and personnel on the field.  we do not have the talent to make obvious plays work.  we NEED to mix it up.

* GROTHE - he looked spectacular to start the season, making great decisions and checking off. i still think Auburn was his smartest game thru the air--- not his best statistically, but smartest.  since the first three games, Grothe has steadily declined in his decision making, with a 5/10 TD/INT ratio the past 6 games, and 2/7 in the 3 losses.  he's taken big sacks at key moments (RU, UConn) and has a problem throwing the ball away.  i know all of this is not his fault--- receivers drop balls, our OLine leaks like a siv, the playcalling has been garbage--- but he needs to protect the ball.  sometimes an incomplete pass is the best play in a given situation, and to my recollection i can't remember Grothe actually chucking one out of bounds just to get rid of it.  he needs to learn that he can't make a play every down.  he also needs to learn how to step into his passes and make accurate down-field throws.

* RUNNING GAME - BBQ is a solid back. he blocks, he catches, and he protects the ball (better than Ford or Taylor).  but he is not a dynamic runner.  he often runs INTO tackles rather than around them.  when he gets wrapped up, he falls sideways or backwards more often than he falls forwards. good teams with good defenses (Rutgers, UConn, Cinci) don't respect his running.  that leaves the defense free to key on Grothe.  the coaches NEED to get Ford or Taylor in the game, and when they break big plays, they need to STICK WITH THEM.  taking Taylor out after his big run at UConn was inexplicable.  leaving Ford out of the first half against Cinci was also inexplicable.  there are ways to incorporate all three of them into the offense.  running an I-form or wishbone, or even a 2-back shotgun with Ford and BBQ on either side of Grothe will keep defenses guessing as to who is going to run, or if Grothe will pass to a receiver or to either back in the flat.  better use of our backs will keep defenses off-balance.  putting Ford in the backfield, EVEN WHEN HE'S NOT GETTING THE BALL, keeps defenses guessing because there are TWO players back there (Grothe & Ford) that can burn them with their legs, not just one (Grothe). throw in Padilla or Kelly as lead blockers if our OLine can't open up holes.

it's an old cliche, but it applies here... the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

with our depleated line and receiving core, and 3 straight in the L column, we MUST adjust and do something different.  we MUST use our backs better.  we MUST diversify our playbook.  we MUST protect the ball.  one more loss and we will be back to 2006 status, eating pizza (if we aren't already) and all the gains we've made this season will only be emontional, moral victories.  TWO more losses and we will have regressed. 

it's time for this team to step up and show some heart.

• Content Count:  971

Until now, I can't recall us ever losing three games in a row in which we were favored.  And each loss ultimately came down to a play or two, or a call or two.  I picked injuries as the primary reason for the streak, because the losses have been close ones, but I also think the team just looks weary at times.  We have played a tough schedule and the meat of the Big East schedule is behind us.  Having an early bye week helped us against UNC and WV, but it's killing us now.

I also think we need a better foul-weather offensive scheme, when we can't rely on our team speed to give us the advantage.  For example, every year we've played at UCONN the conditions have been less than ideal (first game-too windy to pass effectively; second game-too cold; third game-too wet).  Yet, they have a relatively simple offensive scheme well-suited for those conditions.  I'm not saying we should run an offense like UCONN every game, just develop a scheme in the off-season to optimize our talent in those conditions.  Our best receivers and backs in fair weather may not be our best in the mud.  Yet, every other year we go up there and try to run our same old schemes that, for the most part, don't seem to work very well.

Archived