• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Straight Losses: Get It Off Your Chest & Point Your Finger

Who/what deserves the most blame for the three straight losses? Explain why.  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

If I were to sum it up, I think the players played great early on, then started to believe the hype about themselves, had a loss, and mentally have not returned to form.

I have to agree with you kinda. I do think that USF played great and over achieved early. They won 2 big games instead of the 1 they usually win. The problem was it was early and we all got excited and bought into the hype (not just the players), but the truth is that we are the same team we always have been. We are still due to lay an egg. (These last three were good games with bad outcomes)

Anyway there is a hump to overcome and I think it lies in coaching, lets hope we get er done soon.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

the defense hasn't been able to stop the run or get the good turnovers we need to help our offense. our offense has been pretty anemic all year long, in the wins and losses, it's the defense that slumped heavily in the losses.

• Content Count:  292

It is a multiple of things but to me by far the main reason we have lost 3 games in a row is due to special teams play.  It seems like everytime we had a chance to make a play and got some momemtum on our side we would give it right back on special teams plays.  Way too many yards given up on kick offs and part of that has been poor kick offs by Teachy after a big play for USF when we really really needed him to kick the ball deep.

Block punts, blocked field goals, missed field goals, etc. etc.  How many points have we left on the board this year with missed FG's???

To me good special teams wins ball games.  Look how it has elevated VT over the years.  We have got to improve on special teams as a whole the rest of the year and hopefully next year or we will continue to lose close games.

• Content Count:  41

How dare you all criticize the Bulls.  If you think you could do so much better you all should go play!  CJL, please sign up all these posters for this week's game!  True fans only cheer on their team and only say positive things!  <--- Sarcasm!

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

We lost 3 of 5 O Line starters.  That is huge, so O Line needs to be on the list.  Remember how well Capogna played before injury.  And he had a second injury after the first, but still has had limited play.  We shifted all players after each injury.

When you start inexperienced Fresh/Soph's or smaller linemen, it will definitely affect your entire game...    I think this is the biggest issue so far, affects Special Teams (ie blocked punts with touchdowns) as well.... 

Agree with you Incredibull.  When the O-line stinks, everyone else has to play uphill with a piano strapped to their back.  Unlike offensive linemen, skill position players get too much credit when its going good and too much blame when its going bad.

As I write this post, there are threads on this board faulting the performance of:

The Playcallers,

The Quarterback,

The Runningbacks, and

The Wide Receivers

. . . . . it's the line!

Where's the beef?

• Content Count:  695

How dare you all criticize the Bulls.  If you think you could do so much better you all should go play!  CJL, please sign up all these posters for this week's game!  True fans only cheer on their team and only say positive things!  <--- Sarcasm!

Well I would probably be fast enough to play and in baseball I have a good arm so if someone showed me how to throw the football correctly I could probably throw it long wouldn't be too accurate but still I could run and throw the deep ball. Problem is first time I got hit i'd probably be out for my career because i'm only 5'11 175.

• Content Count:  1,757

i think it's a number of things all happening at once...

in no particular order...

* INJURIES - losing TJ and yes, Amarri too, not only depletes our receiving core of its two upper-classmen, but it takes away one of our most solid set of hands (TJ) and on-field leadership and blockers (Amarri).  the OL has been dinged up all year, and Walt going down not only gave us one less solid guy on the line, but took another senior off the field from an offense that desperately needs that kind of experience, composure and leadership.

* OFFENSIVE PLAYCALLING - Gregory's 7 page playbook is not cutting it anymore.  the BBQ run, QB read, 5 wide, punt sequence is not working.  the bread and butter may have worked the first 6 games (and none of those, except UNC and UCF, were imposing wins), but everybody from the opposing team's coaches, to defenses, to f***ing TV commentators and wives/girlfriends/children that don't know crap about football can predict exactly what plays we're calling by the formation and personnel on the field.  we do not have the talent to make obvious plays work.  we NEED to mix it up.

* GROTHE - he looked spectacular to start the season, making great decisions and checking off. i still think Auburn was his smartest game thru the air--- not his best statistically, but smartest.  since the first three games, Grothe has steadily declined in his decision making, with a 5/10 TD/INT ratio the past 6 games, and 2/7 in the 3 losses.  he's taken big sacks at key moments (RU, UConn) and has a problem throwing the ball away.  i know all of this is not his fault--- receivers drop balls, our OLine leaks like a siv, the playcalling has been garbage--- but he needs to protect the ball.  sometimes an incomplete pass is the best play in a given situation, and to my recollection i can't remember Grothe actually chucking one out of bounds just to get rid of it.  he needs to learn that he can't make a play every down.  he also needs to learn how to step into his passes and make accurate down-field throws.

* RUNNING GAME - BBQ is a solid back. he blocks, he catches, and he protects the ball (better than Ford or Taylor).  but he is not a dynamic runner.  he often runs INTO tackles rather than around them.  when he gets wrapped up, he falls sideways or backwards more often than he falls forwards. good teams with good defenses (Rutgers, UConn, Cinci) don't respect his running.  that leaves the defense free to key on Grothe.  the coaches NEED to get Ford or Taylor in the game, and when they break big plays, they need to STICK WITH THEM.  taking Taylor out after his big run at UConn was inexplicable.  leaving Ford out of the first half against Cinci was also inexplicable.  there are ways to incorporate all three of them into the offense.  running an I-form or wishbone, or even a 2-back shotgun with Ford and BBQ on either side of Grothe will keep defenses guessing as to who is going to run, or if Grothe will pass to a receiver or to either back in the flat.  better use of our backs will keep defenses off-balance.  putting Ford in the backfield, EVEN WHEN HE'S NOT GETTING THE BALL, keeps defenses guessing because there are TWO players back there (Grothe & Ford) that can burn them with their legs, not just one (Grothe). throw in Padilla or Kelly as lead blockers if our OLine can't open up holes.

it's an old cliche, but it applies here... the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

with our depleated line and receiving core, and 3 straight in the L column, we MUST adjust and do something different.  we MUST use our backs better.  we MUST diversify our playbook.  we MUST protect the ball.  one more loss and we will be back to 2006 status, eating pizza (if we aren't already) and all the gains we've made this season will only be emontional, moral victories.  TWO more losses and we will have regressed. 

it's time for this team to step up and show some heart.

Thank you.  Very good post. 

Archived