• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn Game Scouting?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

"If not for that horrendous blown call, UConn loses that game."

How in the world did you come up with that analysis?

they won by less than a TD and they were gift wrapped a TD?

from the little i saw of the UL game (somewhat skewed perspective with the monsoon though), they have a decent RB, a QB that can hurt you with his feet, and a pretty good defense.  As long as we don't have several turnovers and numerous dumb penalties, we should win pretty easily. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,777

Looks like no one has scored more than 17 points against UCONN. They must have a good defense.  I also believe they are going without their prime time RB Brown who is injured but the backup Dixon looks decent.

Guest BasketBull.

at Duke W 45-14 --

Maine W 38-0 --

Temple W 22-17 --

at Pittsburgh W 34-14 --

Akron W 44-10 --

at Virginia L 16-17 --

Louisville W 21-17 --

The only win I respect is the Pitt win. The rest --eh. They got a gift with Louisville.

One thing, though, they do have a decent defense. If they were that bad, Louisville and Pitt would have put up bigger numbers.

Guest BasketBull.

Other than their own brand of trickeration, I saw a running back that seemed pretty good...their QB ( a converted WR) was pretty good on the run and not too bad a passer in the part of the UConn/UL game I saw.

I've heard that usage thrown around a lot lately, "trickeration."

Is that even a word? I thought it was "trickery?"

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I'll post what I did on a similar thread:

UCONN is very physical and fly to the ball on defense. If Grothe telegraphs his passes in the flats or linebacker areas he will get picked off, the linebackers are very fast. Watching the receiver to this area, then pump faking, and then catching him along the sideline will give big plays all day/night along with well disguised play action passes.  They completely follow the QBs eyes and bite immediately on the throwing movement.

The offense has a very good quaterback who will run when given the chance and is an accurate passer. Their offensive line is undersized but very affective. It will be a tough game and one that I hope we come into with a major chip on our shoulder.  I would love to see us win by at least three scores and leave UConn angry enough to break it off in Rutgers a$$ when they visit.  I'll be in Las Vegas watching the game at ESPN Sports Zone at NY NY and will put much dineros on the Bulls to cover.  Made the same bet last year against Cuse along with Rutgers over Louisville and made my trip costs on both.

GO BULLS!!

FINSH STRONG!!

• Content Count:  4

"If not for that horrendous blown call, UConn loses that game."

How in the world did you come up with that analysis?

they won by less than a TD and they were gift wrapped a TD?

from the little i saw of the UL game (somewhat skewed perspective with the monsoon though)

Well, if you're just going to subtract 7 points from UConn's total for the blown fair catch call, would you also add 10 points for the blown fumble recovery at the Louisville 15 and the punt muff recovered by UConn in the UL end zone? Both of the initial calls were overruled, incorrectly, even though there was no review. They were make-up calls obviously for the blown fair catch.

Look, I agree that the fair catch was horrible, worst call ever, but in the end, it had he same impact on the game that the other calls did. You add up the numbers ad UConn deserved to win.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Living here in CT I get to see a fair amount of UCONN football. 

I liie their QB.  He is supposed to be a pretty well liked kid and is a good leader.  A big step up from what they have had the last couple of years.  They have 2 very good backs.  Their top back, Donald Brown, was 4th in the BE in rushing last year as Freshman (behind Rice, Slaton and WHite.  Pretty good company).  Brown was injured a few weeks ago and is not fully healed yet I believe.  Their backup, Andre Dixon is smaller, but is a speed guy (4.4).  I do n ot se him getting outside on our D.  I am not so impressed with any of their receivers, but they are competent.  Their QB is accurate and at times can run the ball so he is a duel threat.  Not quite in the same conversation with Grothe or White, but can get it done however he has to.  He is also pretty big.  6-5 230 or so.  I don't think their OL is that good.  I think Selvie can have a big day agiainst them.  They are about as bad as we are on 3rd down conversions.  They have a few decent players on this offense, but we can definitely shut them down and quite honestly, I would not even be surprised to see shut out.  Not likely, but I think it can be done.

Their offense is underrated and very good.  They are well coached on offense.  One very good DB, a very good SR LB and my favorite guy on their team is their freshman LB, Scott Lutrus  He has a nose for the ball and is great in coverage.  Something like 3 or 4 INTs already.  He was BE Defensive player of the week this past week.  They have another Freshman LB that is good too.  He is 3rd in the BE in tackles..  They have the #3 defense in the country right now (may be skewed because of the lower level of competition they have played so far, but still good enough to hold UL's offense down).  They are also #1 in the BE in turnover margin. So we will need to protect the ball.  Statistically, they have a better D than Rutgers, but again, that may be a function of their level of competition.  Bottom line is that they are good on defense and their HC was O'leary's DC at Georgia Tech and has also spent some time in the NFL.  My guess is that you will see even more blitzing from these guys than you did last week.

As a whole, I believe UCONN has the best special teams units in the BE.  They lead in PR and KR.  Their PK is pretty good.

One story I heard last week that I thought was interesting was about their QB.  I expect him to come into this game very motivated.  He was all set to go to Iowa State.  McCarney wanted him to be a safety and he wanted to be a QB so he chose to go to JUCO instead to get playing time as QB.  I am sure he will have something to prove to our Defensive Line coach about how good a QB he is.

I expect this game to be a good game.  Since UCONN is sitting at number 23 right now, it would be a great game for us to make a statement, but don't underestimate this team.  They are 6-1 for a reason regardless of the lucky calls and competition they have played.  They are good, but young so you never really know how they will come out.  Plus, they are the hunted right now because they are at the top of the BE.

• Content Count:  292

From what I have seen watching most of the UL game...they have a talented back who runs extremely hard.  Their defense has some good size and good spead.  The weather in that game made it more of a north and south game...which is why I think we could have some troubles stopping the run if it comes to a north/south type of game.  Their QB didn't look that impressive but outside the pocket was able to hit some receivers and created space between himself and defenders. 

We are going to have to run the ball if the weather is bad (I believe 60% chance of rain) and HOLD onto the **** thing. 

I know Ford has been in the dog house but we have to find a way to get him 15 touches a game.  No reason to take it easy this year to get him ready for next year...you play for today and we need his running skills now.

• Content Count:  377

Here are their wins

Louisville 4-4 (lost to Syracuse and Utah) and they only beat them in horrible weather

Duke (only 1 win against northwestern)

Maine (only 1 win against Monmouth)

Temple (only by 5 points)

Pitt (who sucks)

Akron (who lost to temple)

They lost 17-16 @ Virginia (who lost to Wyoming).

They haven't played anyone worth a poop!

Good thing they are bowl elgible because theywill lose 4 of the last 5 games. (USF, Rutgers, WVU, Cinncy)

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Other than their own brand of trickeration, I saw a running back that seemed pretty good...their QB ( a converted WR) was pretty good on the run and not too bad a passer in the part of the UConn/UL game I saw.

I've heard that usage thrown around a lot lately, "trickeration."

Is that even a word? I thought it was "trickery?"

It's a word picked up from SportsCenter. you know "trickeration" "haterade", etc.

Archived