• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

All refs suck

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

the flag they picked up was due to a mistake in it being thrown for not having enough players on the line-- which was shown clearly to not be the case on the replay.

However-- I think you have some valid points about Tubby blowing this game.

The poorly marked gain on third down could have been challenged but he did not attempt to challenge it all even though it was clearly a poor spot.

The kickoff was baffling-- and LSU almost screwed the pooch anyway with that crazy throw at the end.

wierd game--- don't know that the officiating crew did anything blatant though other than a poor mark on the ball.

I'lll tell you this much-- they sure the hell let the receivers have some contact with the defenders on someof those passes-- and didn't even think of throwing a flag.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  0

One of the many reasons I have never been a fan of the replay is that it makes refs tentative.  Having all those cameras reviewing your every move makes them hesitant.  While most fans like replay review and feel it helps “get the call right,†I have always had many reservations about the system.

Man, it's amazing how many college fans -- and even the college commentators -- don't know the rules.

A legal formation is defined as having seven or more players along a line that runs through the waist of the center.  Thus, the seven (or more) players do not have to be right along the line of scrimmage.

Moreover, the flag was thrown by the Head Linesman on the opposite side of the field.  While an observer may think he can judge whether or not a player is on the line, that is not how it works.  The Line Judge on the near side would make the call before the play starts by "punching back" -- raising a fist to shoulder level to indicate to the Head Linesman that the player nearest him is off the line of scrimmage.  Then both the HL and LJ would count the players off the line (QB, 2 RBs, TE in motion = 4).  If the LJ was "punching back" indicating the WR was off, then both the LJ and HL would throw the flag.

In this case, after they talked about it, the LJ must have said the WR was on the line -- meaning they had a legal formation.  So they picked up the flag.

Yes, it sucked, but the refs got it right.

• Content Count:  2,719

Man, it's amazing how many college fans -- and even the college commentators -- don't know the rules.

I will admit, Jim, I do not know all the rules, especially when recited like that.  I don't know if I still understand it.

• Content Count:  1,013

LSU was very lucky to win that game against Auburn. I am surprised that they didnt challenge the spot on that one play because LSU was given a favorable spot by the refs. Refs had a very bad week in college football. Auburn, Cincy, UL, and USF got screwed over this weekend.

I must have missed it.  What happened to Cincy???

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Cincy clearly had a fumble recovery reversed against Pitt deep in the Panters territory during the the 3rd quarter. That would have given the BEARCATS to score at least a FG or a TD which would have helped put that game away. Instead, the stupid replay officials still missed the call even though it was clear that the Pitt receiver caught and took about 3 steps before the ball was knocked loose. What a bad call that was against Cincy.

• Content Count:  1,013

Thanks!

Hopefully the Big East will look into these calls.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Here's the deal...

AUFan is on the money. The USF game set a very dangerous precident. My guess is that the ref made the call, but he wasn't 100% sure, so, while reviewing the touchdown, they also looked at the beginning of the play (remember, it took them a while) and decided that there were 7 on the line. Why wouldn't they call off the flag until after the review? Something was going on behind the scenes.

The NCAA needs to address this immediately. There is no accountability on the field. This is scary for football fans.

On a side note, the right OT for UF is either the fastest man off the line alive, or he is getting a little bit of a jump on about 60% of their plays. I have seen it several times, never called. It's close, but the tackle shouldn't be able to move before the center can snap the ball.

Auburn got screwed, but what happend to the corner on the last play. Turn around and look for the ball, it could have easily been knocked down, you knew they were going for the end zone.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I have seen many games where the officiating seems to control the outcome of the game and seems to give the media what they want.  Receivers with their hands all over the DB's and no call, poor spots, giving the team the spot where the ball carrier crawls to, etc

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

There were tons of mystery flags for this USF program in their first several years...You should have seen the game at Western Kentucky in '97.  There was NO WAY USF was going to have a chance - a first year team against a D-1AA power?  (I know, it sounds funny now).  Flags showed up far from action after plays just so something could be reversed.  Ask Charlie Jackson.  As memory serves, the greatest injustice was his KR for TD, only to be called back when a flag appeared after the play on the opposite end of the field.

This happens when you're not supposed to be a threat.

I thought when we got into a legit conference that crap would stop....forget about it.  One day, maybe it will change.  Maybe 50 years from now.

Archived