• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the Big East in the Future

atlbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

In your honest opinion, what do you think the Big East will be like in the future?

Louisville will be losing Brohm at the end of this year and has shown us that they are beatable this year.  Who will match Brohm's success?

Rutgers has Ray Rice.  However, I don't think you can replace a RB like him.  He is a lot of Rutgers offense.

WV has White and Slaton.  Can Devine and Brown (I think that was the backup QB) be another White and Slaton?  It is hard to say.

The Big East has some teams with very good players which creates some good parity.  However, how long is this going to last?  Being biased, will we control our destiny in this conference?  In my opinion, I see our program as growing, while some of thes other programs at the peak.  Football in FL will always be ahead of a lot of states (especially our conference foes).  I think it is easier for us to replace our talent, which we do have a lot of.

Will parity exist in this conference after Rice, Brohm, White, and Slaton leave college?  What about some of the other conference teams?   

• Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

I really see the Big East as a very cyclical league.  Teams in their prime now will begin to somewhat decline (WVU, Louisville).  Mid-level teams will step up and become the Big East leaders (USF, Rutgers, Cincy).  Low level teams will progress to strive and get better (Cuse, Pitt, UConn).

I also see the Big East adding a 9th team for football in some way, shape or form...even if it involves cutting 1 or 2 non football schools (maybe Marquette or DePaul could make a move to another conference).  Another possibility for the future could be a split of the football and non football into 2 seperate conferences, yet have an agreement between the 2 to work together somehow.

• Content Count:  3,307

I really think Rutgers is a one-man program right now with Rice. Once he leaves (and with the pounding he's taking in college, he'd be wise to leave as soon as he's eligible), I think they will be very average.

• Content Count:  2,661

I really see the Big East as a very cyclical league.

I think coaching stability will be key to the future pecking order of the conference. Rutgers, West Virginia, UConn, and of course USF all have coaches that have been at their schools a long time, have had success there, and aren't looking for the first boat out of town. Louisville has also shown an ability to win long-term under a variety of coaches, going back to Howard Schnellenberger; I think they've arrived as a program. From year to year, I think those will be the five schools competing for the conference title, though the favorites will vary a lot from year to year.

The other three schools I have my doubts about. Cincinnati's going to have a hard time keeping good coaches. Pitt and Syracuse are just going nowhere right now.

Another thing I foresee in the future of the Big East is that the NCAA would consider having ALL conferences either have a championship game or get rid of the championship games all-together, so that there isn't any animosity between conferences since 3 conferences can and do have games and the other three cannot due to NCAA rules.

Just speculation, I'd like to see all conferences have a championship game just to make it so all conference decisions are decided equally.

the NCAA would consider having ALL conferences either have a championship game

Never happen. Conference commissioners tell the NCAA what to do, not the other way around. The NCAA abdicated its right to manage major college football when they lost the TV-rights lawsuit to Georgia and Oklahoma in 1986. Since then the inmates have been running the asylum.

the NCAA would consider having ALL conferences either have a championship game

Never happen. Conference commissioners tell the NCAA what to do, not the other way around. The NCAA abdicated its right to manage major college football when they lost the TV-rights lawsuit to Georgia and Oklahoma in 1986. Since then the inmates have been running the asylum.

Yet the NCAA has a rule stating that a conference must have 12 teams to have a championship game.  All they could have to do is drop that stipulation and I bet every conference would be gunning for a championship game.

• Content Count:  5,903

I think a basketball school should be removed/moved and a football school added (maybe even two). I don't know how easy/difficult or how likely/unlikely that is, but making the league much more balenced should be the number one goal.

Yet the NCAA has a rule stating that a conference must have 12 teams to have a championship game.  All they could have to do is drop that stipulation and I bet every conference would be gunning for a championship game.

They have dropped it. The SWAC has only 10 members but has been playing a conference championship game since 1999. You don't think the Big 10 would have a championship game by now, if they wanted one?

Archived