• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Loss Is On Gregory Being Outcoached By Schiano

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Very frustrated.  When the defense adjusts to what is working for us and takes Gothe's mobility away and brings extra pressure, why on earth do we try to turn him into a pocket passer? 

We run quick hit slants and WR screens all year and when the put pressure up the middle, we decide to throw down the field on plays that take a lot of time to develop???

We played good enough to win.  You have to help Grothe out and put him in a position to be able to make plays..  He can't do it all himself.

• Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

I noticed how we didn't run short routes when they were bringing the blitz.

This was a horrible game called by Gregory, the loss is on him and the officials.

• Content Count:  2,118

Rutgers made their adjustments and we seemed to fall into their traps. USF played a good game tonight, just Rutgers was the better team.

If they are jamming the line with 7 and 8 guys and putting a spy on Grothe.  Doesn't a play action pass once every 3 or 4 games help loosen that up a bit?

• Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Very frustrated.  When the defense adjusts to what is working for us and takes Gothe's mobility away and brings extra pressure, why on earth do we try to turn him into a pocket passer? 

We run quick hit slants and WR screens all year and when the put pressure up the middle, we decide to throw down the field on plays that take a lot of time to develop???

We played good enough to win.  You have to help Grothe out and put him in a position to be able to make plays..  He can't do it all himself.

Gregory did not drop passes... Give the guy a break....  He is the reason that I don't miss Rod Smith!

• Content Count:  1,777

This may not have been seen on TV but Rutgers left the middle of the field wide open. I would have expected more plays similar to when Hester score the touchdown. Rutgers mainly blitz from the DB postion and in that case you can either run a hitch or a slant in the middle of the field.  I am a little disappoint in Gregory's choicies.

Gregory did not drop passes... Give the guy a break....   He is the reason that I don't miss Rod Smith!

Dropped passes had nothing to do with it.  He left Gothe a sitting duck for the blitz by making him adrop back pocket passer.  Run a freaking draw or swing pass.  i think we threw 1 swing pass all night and it got batted down.  When they are blitzing you don't run a play that takes along time to develop.  Quick hit passes to the slot man or WR/bubble screens like we have done all year.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Mm-hmm, and if the hitches get stopped for two yards  you're complaining about Gregory again. I'd like to see some of you call plays in a big game. I'm sure you'd all do a lot better than 27 points and almost 400 yards of offense.

• Content Count:  131

the bottom line is offensively the play calling was terrible, particularly is the second half. just like everyone is saying, we needed short passes and we werent calling them. im gonna sound crazy but rod smith would have given us a better shot to win the game at the end there.

one thing i can't stand about our offense (this year vs last) is we dont utilize the speed we have like we used to. run a reverse, screen, put more five wide out, do something like that cuz we are more effective.

i must give credit to rutgers d tho. the way to hurt grothe is to keep him in the pocket and bring the pressure. if we have the wrong play called we are doomed. grothe is too much a competitor/risk taker and instead of getting rid of the ball, we usually end up with a 5-10 yard loss.

• Content Count:  131

Mm-hmm, and if the hitches get stopped for two yards  you're complaining about Gregory again. I'd like to see some of you call plays in a big game. I'm sure you'd all do a lot better than 27 points and almost 400 yards of offense.

i'll be a doctor in the four years, not a coach. but still, we r saying in that situation we needed short passes. we are down by three points and only have to move the ball for a first down or two to get the field goal. we knew they weren't gonna let grothe run and we saw the blitz coming up the middle. that means the ball has to come out quickly. i don't care where, we just couldn't take a sack there and we did. i honestly think if we run slants a couple of times we might have won the game outright.

it doesn't matter at this point tho. a big east championship and bcs bowl would be a great season.

Archived