• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thanks and farewell to TJ Rives!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16,354
  • Days Won:  43

Just wanted to say thanks to TJ Rives for his play by play for USF basketball for the last decade or so.  As a USF fan, I am going to miss listening to TJ call the basketball games on the radio. I have had great memories from listening to him from back when I was attending USF during the SETH GREENBERG era. He went through many downs and barely any ups calling the games, so I only want to thank him for making the games more interesting to this USF fan. Anyway, I wish him well in his career, and I know Lighthall is going to keep things rolling during the Stan Heath era.

• Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

TJ Rives could be one of the best play by play guys I have ever heard.  He is crisp.  He knows his stuff.  The guy is rock solid.  When I read this in the paper the other day I was really sadened. 

I am wondering if the money wasn't good enough or what.  I do know that TJ was  BIG BIG BIG mac supporter.  He flat out campaigned for Woolard to retain him during the last game of the season.  I thought that was a little off, but he has his own opinions.

Anyway, he was a great play by play guy.

I like Lighthall, but he seems to fit better in the color commentary role.

Oh well.  All I have left in my memory is the famous T.J Rives call of

"Buckley from 25 feet, GOOOOODDD.  Melvin Buckley! and the BULLS ARE WITHIN 3"

• Content Count:  294

I agree. those are going to be some big shoes to fill. We'll sure miss 'em. Good luck TJ!

Congratulations Jim Lighthall.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  3,103

what happened?

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

what happened?

LIGHTHALL REPLACES RIVES: T.J. Rives, the men's basketball play-by-play announcer since 1997, will be replaced by Jim Lighthall, Rives' analyst the past 10 years.

Because of Rives' radio duties with the Bucs and XM Radio, he had too many conflicts to continue with USF.

"I have enjoyed the last decade," Rives said. "There are many people I would love to thank, but I don't have the space here. In particular I want to thank [former AD] Paul Griffin, who believed in me and gave me the opportunity in 1997.

"After talking with Doug Woolard and Stan Heath, they totally understand the situation and appreciate the fact I can't give them the time and attention they deserve and that it's best that someone else be given that opportunity."

Lighthall, who teamed with Rives on more than 300 USF games, could not be reached for comment. A decision on Lighthall's analyst has not been made.

"T.J. did a fantastic job," Woolard said. "We are losing a great talent, and I can't thank T.J. enough for his decade of work with USF."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBIT8XPM7F.html

• Content Count:  749

TJ will be missed, but to have an alum remain as the play by play guy is awesome.  Lighthall is a big Bulls fan and will be embraced also.

Guest BasketBull.

T.J.'s the best!

We will miss you, man.

That said, I will never forget that you tipped me under a buck for a pizza delivery way back in the day. I hope you have changed your ways!  ;D

• Content Count:  505

I've been following the Bulls since 1990.  TJ is the only play by play guy that I remember.  He was a good one.  He will definitely be missed, and I wish him the best.

Anyone know who the play by play guy before him was?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,589
  • Days Won:  424

I've been following the Bulls since 1990.  TJ is the only play by play guy that I remember.  He was a good one.  He will definitely be missed, and I wish him the best.

Anyone know who the play by play guy before him was?

If memory serves me, Mr. Louk had that position up until the footbulls started up.

Lighthall will do a great job and it opens a spot to have to have a complete Bulls broadcasting team....

• Content Count:  19,229

I'll miss TJ.  He was a tremendous announcer for us.

Archived