• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kiper: Jenkins maybe a "mid-first rounder"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Jeff (Tampa, FL): How many guys on USF's defense are NFL bound?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:46 PM ET ) First of all, they have two outstanding CBs on defense. Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams are both seniors. Jenkins has a chance to be a mid-first rounder. He's an oustanding player. He's a shut down CB at the college level. Williams, he's an interceptor supreme throughout his career. He could be a second rounder. Ben Moffitt had a big game against WVU. He was my fifth highest rated ILB in the senior class. He could be a late first day, early second. George Selvie, a third year sophomore, a pass rushing DE has been a sack artist all year. They have another kid Jarritt Buie who has some ability, could be a Day 2 guy. Amarri Jackson, a WR and Walter Walker, a OT would be the two guys on offense that will get a look. But the best prospect is Jenkins, by far.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17488

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Selvie isn't going into the draft this year is he?  If so, that's going to hurt.  I don't think we'll get him for all of his elgibility, but I was hoping for him next year for sure...

Selvie isn't going into the draft this year is he?  If so, that's going to hurt.  I don't think we'll get him for all of his elgibility, but I was hoping for him next year for sure...

There's been no mention of it specifically. I don't think that's what Kiper meant. The question wasn't who's NFL bound after this season.

I can't see Selvie leaving after this year. Not unless he plays even better than he has. He still has way more upside to live up to before he makes the jump.

• Content Count:  5,241

Selve will be here for at the least his junior year to put mileage behind his newly set career sack record.

The chat's over, so only Insiders can read it now (it's free while the chat is ongoing). The only other mention of USF during the chat was a brief rundown of our upcoming schedule - games against Rutgers and an underrated UCF team.

And more exciting than that ... how freaking cool would it be to see a Bull go in the first round? I mean, it's going to happen sooner or later and eventually with some regularity, but that first one is going to be great to see. Come on Mike Jenkins, make the rest of this season count!

And actually, on <a href="http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html">Kiper's Web site</a>, he lists Jenkins at No. 15 on his Big Board.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

My thoughts on NFL bound guys (at some point not just this year) are:

Mike Jenkins

George Selvie

Trae Williams

Ben Moffit

Tyrone McKenzie

Richard Clebert

Nate Allen

Taurus Johnson

Walter Walker

Amarri Jackson

Some may be drafted, but all should get a shot at worst as an UFA.  There are other guys who have potential but they just haven't played enough to even really consider yet, like Carlton Mitchell, Bruce Mopremier or Sampson Genus.

• Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Hopefully George stays another year.  I think he needs at least one more year, but you never know.  These kids see the flash of the NFL and the money and its hard to stay sometimes.  He needs to consider how young this team is and can really be a national player for a few years to come.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

My thoughts on NFL bound guys (at some point not just this year) are:

Mike Jenkins

George Selvie

Trae Williams

Ben Moffit

Tyrone McKenzie

Richard Clebert

Nate Allen

Taurus Johnson

Walter Walker

Amarri Jackson

Some may be drafted, but all should get a shot at worst as an UFA.  There are other guys who have potential but they just haven't played enough to even really consider yet, like Carlton Mitchell, Bruce Mopremier or Sampson Genus.

Even if Genus turns out to be an all-conference type player, I doubt he'll ever get much NFL consideration.

At just about 6-feet even, he probably won't even be given a chance.

• Content Count:  4,879

It would be nice if Mike were our first All-American.

It would be nice if Mike were our first All-American.

I wouldn't be shocked if Selvie and Jenkins were both All-Americans this year. If Selvie keeps up his current pace, he would have to be, I'd think.

Archived