• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

8-18-07 scrimmage report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37319&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1153732

TAMPA, Fla. – The South Florida football team held a 100-play scrimmage on Saturday morning at the practice fields on campus.

“The guys came out ready and played hard but we are not ready to play a game yet,†said USF head coach Jim Leavitt.  “We aren’t where we need to be, but then again we have some time.  I would be concerned if we were playing tomorrow, but we have two weeks.â€Â

2006 BIG EAST Rookie of the Year Matt Grothe continued to have a strong camp.

“I thought Matt Grothe did some really good things,†said Leavitt. “He handled the offense well and made good decisions.†

For the second consecutive day, K Delbert Alvarado impressed with another long field goal. On Saturday morning he nailed a 52-yard field goal, one day after converting from 62 yards.

“I thought that Alvarado had a good scrimmage too,†said Leavitt. “He had one bad kick, but he hit the ball wellâ€Â

Alvarado also worked at punter, where he is an option along with two others.

WR Amari Jackson and Dontavia Bogan reeled in short TD catches.  Both were on fade routes within the red zone offense and over tight coverage.

“That Bogan kid scored an impressive touchdown over an experienced corner,†said Leavitt. “He might have earned himself some more time but we need to watch film and see what else he did.â€Â

Transfer Jamar Taylor and freshman Mike Ford both scored on short TD runs. 

Taylor’s came while the team was working in short yardage situations and was from six yards out.  Ford’s was earlier in the scrimmage during an extended drive by the offense.

The Bulls are scheduled to scrimmage on Wednesday evening and could possibly hold one more before their Sept. 1 opener against Elon.

Single game and season tickets remain for the fast approaching 2007 season.  Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-800-GoBulls.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I'm so pumped up right now... I feel like a kid in a candy store!!!!

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm so pumped up right now... I feel like a kid in a candy store!!!!

What would you give to run out of the tunnel one more time for the WVU game?

Archived