• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two USF men held on explosives charges

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

From Bay News 9...

Two USF men held on explosives charges

(CNN) -- Two USF students have been linked to what a law enforcement source said was a bomb and bomb-making plot.

The two men face state explosives charges after police outside Charleston , S.C. allegedly found the bomb making material in their car Sunday.

"They're going to be formally charged tomorrow with state charges by the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office, and those charges will involve explosives," Berkeley County Chief Deputy Butch Henerey told CNN. But federal officials disputed that account, telling CNN that there was no bomb.

And FBI spokesman Richard Kolko told CNN, "We have not found a clear link to terrorism."

The incident began unfolding about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, when the men's vehicle was pulled over along Highway 176 in Goose Creek , about 20 miles north of Charleston , for speeding, police said. The law enforcement source, who insisted on anonymity, said the materials included at least one bomb and a number of bomb-making elements, including chemicals capable of being used in the production of bombs, fuses and igniters -- small gunpowder charges used to ignite some explosives.

The Charleston County bomb squad responded, and traffic was halted along the road for 10 hours until the materials were detonated, Reporter Venton Blandin of CNN affiliate WCIV said. He described the sound of the detonation as "fairly small."

Police identified the men as Yousef Megahed, 21, and Ahmed Mohamed, 24, neither of whom is a U.S. citizen. They were being held at the Berkeley County Detention Center in Moncks Corner, S.C. An officer at the detention center said explosives and possible immigration charges will likely be filed Monday.

A federal law enforcement official said the two men are students at the University of South Florida. But federal officials cast doubt on the South Carolina authorities' account of explosives Sunday night. Federal law enforcement sources familiar with the case said no bomb was found -- but the men arrested did not have ready explanations for materials found in the vehicle.

That raised questions, which prompted local officials to contact the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force in Columbia , the sources said. In a statement released Sunday night, Kolko said authorities "continue to review the information and evidence in order to make a full determination of what has occurred."

"At this point, it is to early in the investigation to say there is any link to terrorism," he said. "As with any investigation of this type, the FBI

works closely with our state and local partners to share information. Since this is an ongoing investigation, no additional details will be made available

at this time."

In addition to Berkely County and the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division were taking part in the probe.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

The Kaniggits should have fun with this one.

• Content Count:  937
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah I saw this on CNN during my lunch break. Hey atleast its publicity ha

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

In another report I've read that the "explosives" could possibly be fireworks. Let's see how this one pans out. I can already see the media having a field day trying to somehow connect this to Al Arian.

I wonder if Buford T. Justice saw two Middle Eastern kids driving through South Carolina and thought, "Hey, they could be turr-ists, I can get my name in the paper!"

We'll see, but I would think that if this were a real foiled plot, the feds would have taken this and run with it instead of saying something like "we have not found a clear link to terrorism." And don't forget fireworks are completely legal in South Carolina - anyone who's ever stopped at South of the Border on I-95 would know that.

• Content Count:  594

I wonder if Buford T. Justice saw two Middle Eastern kids driving through South Carolina and thought, "Hey, they could be turr-ists, I can get my name in the paper!"

We'll see, but I would think that if this were a real foiled plot, the feds would have taken this and run with it instead of saying something like "we have not found a clear link to terrorism." And don't forget fireworks are completely legal in South Carolina - anyone who's ever stopped at South of the Border on I-95 would know that.

One of those kids I had as a student in speech class. He's from Egypt, a nice kid, and I'm almost positive the "explosives" were fireworks. The fact the FBI, usually one to trump up these kind of charges, expresses doubt that there were explosives in their possession is a good sign.

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Allah Akbar!

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

USF has always been a gathering place for Islamic Radicals.  I saw alot of them while I was there.

• Content Count:  1,812

i have always found it to be good policy to drive within 10 miles of the prison where terrorists are held with a trunk load of fireworks and then not be able to explain why you would be on a road that is far from your home and not very close to I-95. It is possible these guys made a poor decision in judgement like getting on a school bus and walking through a school to see what it is like.

Here's the AP story - allegedly they were carrying pipe bombs. The police also said in their affidavit that they quickly put away a laptop when the office approached their car. That would change the story completely.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070806/ap_on_re_us/explosive_arrest;_ylt=ApxcaD7yP.KKmRhVmQD5sWdH2ocA

Archived