• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This will make grown men cry....

Griggsy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

I think the guy is a breath of fresh air.

I also think this guy is pretty good too and humble on thhe American version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZYPeP8k2E

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I just finished listening to the YouTube performances.  The only thing I can say is WOW!!!  He has an absolutely fantastic voice and is is an unassuming person. I hope his career takes off like a shot and we start to hear his performances on PBS, etc.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

...he has no professional training as most Idol singers do

You don't get a voice like that without some work and practice.

Opera for the masses, if you want to call it that, I enjoyed listening to it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

I really don't get it.  The guy can sing.  And...

I'm not ashamed to say I've been deeply moved by art(and music in particular) several times, but I'm trying to understand why what I watched was special in any meaningful way.  Is it because he's not eye candy, or an attention-w.hore, like every other person I've seen from American Idol?  What is it that has moved so many of you?

It was not on Idol or the British version as stated here but on British version of Britains got talent, he has no professional training as most Idol singers do and seemed to feel he was not that good. It is nice to see a cell phone salesman who signs in the shower only belt out opera with such passion and still stay a humble working guy. That is my opinion.

And I share the same opinion. This man seemed to be in a shell and has finally come out and hope he continues his climb of making people cheer.

And regarding "professional training" ... I think he is just blessed with a G O D given talent.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This is the  bio on Paul.  He has had classical training and some performance experience, but apparently the performances were not considered professional. 

It is a feel good story  You like to see a nice guy do well.

Name: Paul Potts

Lives: Port Talbot

Paul first sang opera at the age of 28 for a karaoke competition where he dressed up as Pavarotti.

He went on to perform in Barrymore’s My Kind Of Music (1999).  The money he won from the show (£8000) along with his savings was spent on attending various training courses in Italy.

From his Italian opera class he was selected to sing in a master class for Pavarotti and Katia Ricciarelli – who he says were very impressed. Paul reckons he’s spent £20,000 (about $45,000) in total to get to where he is today.

Paul has performed in four semi professional operas in the UK and some concerts.  His proudest performance was with the philharmonic orchestra in a concert in front of 15, 000 people.

After having appendicitis doctors discovered a benign tumour that was removed. Two weeks after the operation he was back on stage. 

A motorbike accident in 2003, in which he broke his collar bone, kept him away from performing and he got left out of the opera circles. 

Since his illness, Paul has struggled with money and has never reached his potential, and this is why he chose to enter Britain’s Got Talent. 

Paul has been married for four years to his wife Julie (26), whom he met in an internet chat room.  They have been together for six years in total

Paul has worked at the Carphone warehouse for two years - one year as manager – before that he worked the night shift stacking shelves and personal shopping at Tesco.

http://talent.itv.com/page.asp?partid=332

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

Thanx Mama ... still a feel good story.

• Content Count:  1,235

I think there are several reasons. 

One is that Paul Potts does not look or act like a star.  We usually love an underdog (except when they play our Bulls)

Two is that Nessun Dorma just soars.  It is just a great piece of music.

Three is the reaction of the crowd, especially Amanda on the judge panel.  I mean she is visibly moved a couple times and it looks like her whole body is heaving with emotion at the end.  It's hard not to get caught up in the moment (and not to fall in love with Amanda at the same time).  Opera moves the soul once more.

• Content Count:  1,812

This is the  bio on Paul.  He has had classical training and some performance experience, but apparently the performances were not considered professional.   

It is a feel good story  You like to see a nice guy do well.

Name: Paul Potts

Lives: Port Talbot

Paul first sang opera at the age of 28 for a karaoke competition where he dressed up as Pavarotti.

He went on to perform in Barrymore’s My Kind Of Music (1999).  The money he won from the show (£8000) along with his savings was spent on attending various training courses in Italy.

From his Italian opera class he was selected to sing in a master class for Pavarotti and Katia Ricciarelli – who he says were very impressed. Paul reckons he’s spent £20,000 (about $45,000) in total to get to where he is today.

Paul has performed in four semi professional operas in the UK and some concerts.  His proudest performance was with the philharmonic orchestra in a concert in front of 15, 000 people.

After having appendicitis doctors discovered a benign tumour that was removed. Two weeks after the operation he was back on stage. 

A motorbike accident in 2003, in which he broke his collar bone, kept him away from performing and he got left out of the opera circles. 

Since his illness, Paul has struggled with money and has never reached his potential, and this is why he chose to enter Britain’s Got Talent. 

Paul has been married for four years to his wife Julie (26), whom he met in an internet chat room.  They have been together for six years in total

Paul has worked at the Carphone warehouse for two years - one year as manager – before that he worked the night shift stacking shelves and personal shopping at Tesco.

http://talent.itv.com/page.asp?partid=332

Although I was wrong about the training his bio makes me more impressed by his God given ability, especially in a society where kids start training when they are 5 and 6 for stuff. This guy started at Karaoke at age 28 and not with pop but with opera.

• Content Count:  1,911

I really don't get it.  The guy can sing.  And...

I'm not ashamed to say I've been deeply moved by art(and music in particular) several times, but I'm trying to understand why what I watched was special in any meaningful way.  Is it because he's not eye candy, or an attention-w.hore, like every other person I've seen from American Idol?  What is it that has moved so many of you?

i was moved by the way the guy sang the song.  Not because he wasnt eye candy or for the fact he was a phone salesman.  It would havve given me goosebumps if i heard it on the radio.  Why do YOU assume people were moved for other reasons?

• Content Count:  9,038

wow dude...just wow!!!

Archived