• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF construction

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I'm disappointed to see that it seems like a typical strip mall. I don't know if Orlando is the same as Tampa, but you cannot spit without hitting a strip mall here. I can't stand it...they are ugly and are usually outdated in 10 years.

Actually, having seen it over there, it wasn't ugly. The way it's set up isn't strip mallish at all. It's a pedestrian style, kind of like the top level at International Mall over here ...... At least, I think that's what I saw.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Trip, that's a pretty accurate assessment.  The shop areas are also spread out throughout the athletic village.

UCF already has a B&N and Starbucks on campus.  I guess they feel it will bank enough money to justify having it.  Then again, Subway is all over UCF.  Soon to be 3 locations including the one in the Student Union, which is one of the highest grossing in the country.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I'm disappointed to see that it seems like a typical strip mall. I don't know if Orlando is the same as Tampa, but you cannot spit without hitting a strip mall here. I can't stand it...they are ugly and are usually outdated in 10 years.

Actually, having seen it over there, it wasn't ugly. The way it's set up isn't strip mallish at all. It's a pedestrian style, kind of like the top level at International Mall over here ...... At least, I think that's what I saw.

Thanks Trip...as it seems those that have actually seen in person what UCF is building in the Athletic Village...all have come away impressed.

Don't think anyone 4-5 years ago could of dreamed that UCF could build such a thing...but give credit to former UCF AD Steve Orsini (and others)..his Accounting Degree from Notre Dame and his facility financing background at Ga Tech has really paid off for UCF in a big way.

FYI...check out the website for the UCF "Firkin & Knight Pub" that is being built right next to the Convo Center on the Western Side Pedestrian Street. (Great place to grab a pint and some grub before/after a game/concert, etc...)

http://www.firkinpubs.com/

Firkin Pubs are an English Style Pub Chain from Canada...that is expanding into the US.

They plan on opening 3 Firkin Pubs in St Pete...8 in Orlando...and in other areas.

Believe this might be their first campus location in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  701

did you UCF'ers build an indoor practice facility too?

Here's a past Orlando Biz Journal feature article about how UCF's Athletic Village is the first of its kind for any FL State University.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2006/04/17/story5.html

Although I think the Athletic Village is an interesting idea with a lot of potential, I was a little surprised to find this...

Aside from the previously announced Ron Jon's Surf Shop, Barnes & Noble Inc. and Starbucks, Meers says eight other retailers also are about to make a deal.

Coming aboard will be national ice cream chain Maggie Moo's, Nature's Table Cafe, Best Cuts hair salon, Red Brick Pizza, Domino's Pizza and a postal outlet.

It's surprising to see a store such as Ron Jon's on campus, too...although, arguably the best retail surf shop, people seem to forget that it's expensive...isn't debt already a problem for college students - without retail stores on campus?

We already have a Barne's and Noble's and a couple Starbucks...They are great...enjoy!

It would seem like a sports related store should be there...maybe a apparel only UCF bookstore? or Champs sports or something???

If USF decided to do this (which it seems to be a good idea) I would hope they include the following stores:

USF fan apparel store

Sports Bar

GNC or Vitamin World

Some Gyro or Wraps place

All Centralized with a pavilion in the center

---All relatively expensive for poor college kids but, it's what I want, so why not?

Updates:

1) Yes...there will be a specialty UCF Knight Store in the corner of the new Convo Center...that will be open every day.

2) Firkin Knight Pub will be going in at the corner of the left side streetscape area...just outside the Convo Center...and right across the street from the beautiful UCF Alumni Fairwins Center.

See link for info (believe Firkins is opening up 3 pubs in St Pete)

http://www.firkinpubs.com/

Note: Rent is EXTREMELY expensive...which is why you will find mostly national chains that have the BIG BUCKS.

Also...Nature's Table basically specializes in WRAPS.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Is it done yet?

Some stores have already opened on the West Side Streetscape:

Maggie Moo's

Nature's Table

Papa Johns

Red Brick Over Pizza (flat screen tv's at every booth!)

And 1 or two others.

Also...the new Arena will have a food court that will be open every day as well (not sure what vendors/restaurants will be located there).

East Side Streetscape area (that will include the Football Plaza just outside the stadium) isn't quite finished.

I'm sure stores/restaurants, etc...will be opening at various times...but once completed (Fall '07), it will be VERY cool!

PS. Believe Firkin Pub will be the largest of all of them...and an original press release said it was opening in Oct..but personally, I hope they can open up by Sept 15th...as UCF has 3 straight home games at the end of Sept (Texas, Memphis, ULL).

• Content Count:  132

KL, I heard Outback was looking at going in where it seems Firkins is, do you know what happened to that?

KL, I heard Outback was looking at going in where it seems Firkins is, do you know what happened to that?

Actually...believe it was Darden Restaurants that was looking at putting in a Smokey Bones Sports Restaurant...but since they are getting rid of Smokey Bones everywhere...that idea couldn't fly.

Outback folks might of looked into it...but its a high $$$ dinner only place...and that probably didn't get viewed well in the middle of a student development.

Firkins...with pub food (reasonable prices)...and majoring in BEER...might even up doing much better.

PS. Not sure if this helped Outback decisions...but they just opened up 2 more locations just outside of UCF...one South (Waterford Lakes) and one North (Oviedo).

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Knight fans,

Congrats on the new stadium.  I think it looks fine.  I know it get's knocked here but it looks decent to me.  I'm sure it will be extremely loud for the UT game, even if you guys are big underdogs.

Archived