• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Has anyone heard...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Easy answer is allow them to work but put a cap on how much they can make.

they already do that.

Isn't playing in front of 90,000 people that pay good money to watch them considered work? It is in the NFL.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Again, 99.9 percent of the athletes who would be paid don't play in front of 90,000 fans. Most play in front of hundreds, if that. This wouldn't be a football decision, it would be a college athletics decision.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Paid college athletes = Pro athletes

College sports would then -- by definition -- be professional sports.

I have very little use for professional sports.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

they won't be paid... nothing is going to change in that respect, no matter how much debate is out there.  College isn't Pro... college is Amateur athletics.  If you pay college students to play, why not high school? or pee wee?  The line SHOULD Be between amateur and pro.

• Content Count:  701
  • Days Won:  0

golfers would lose amatuer status and be considered pro's

Again, 99.9 percent of the athletes who would be paid don't play in front of 90,000 fans. Most play in front of hundreds, if that. This wouldn't be a football decision, it would be a college athletics decision.

I understand that most college athletes don't play in front of crowds. That's why I said that no athletic scholarships should be given period. Your school should only be paid for if your sport brings in enough money after expenses to allow it. Obviously those playing in front of hundreds of people shouldn't have their school paid for unless donor support warrants. There isn't enough economic demand for that sport to exist.

Do we have professional soccer in Tampa? No because it's not economically feasible. Should we pay (Scholarships) kids to play soccer for USF? No. They don't generate enough revenue to pay their own way.

golfers would lose amatuer status and be considered pro's

golfers don't generate any revenue. they not only shouldn't be paid but they shouldn't get scholarships.

they won't be paid... nothing is going to change in that respect, no matter how much debate is out there.  College isn't Pro... college is Amateur athletics.  If you pay college students to play, why not high school? or pee wee?  The line SHOULD Be between amateur and pro.

The Olympics are amatuer athletics as well. I have a problem with Billions of dollars being generated by "amatuer" athletes who don't see a dime.

High school athletes don't generate the revenue. although some may now that they show high school games on T.V. Pee Wee leagues don't generate sufficient revenues either.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

It's college and part of the college experience is sports.

It's college and part of the college experience is sports.

when did sports become a right and not a priveledge? I have no problem with these kids playing sports but they shouldn't be given that priveledge by people who bring in the dollars.

Troy Smith gets a big pat on the back after leading OSU to the NC game and a $5 million dollar payout(just a guess) and well wishes for a successful career in the NFL after being drafted late with no guaranteed money.  At least he paid for that guy on the tennis team to go to school for free. A lot of good that does him.

Archived