• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TSN: Ranking the Big East Coaches

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Ranking the Big East coaches

April 16, 2007

1. Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia. How many coaches can say they've changed the face of college football? Exactly. That tells you all you need to know about the guy who is the "Architect of the Spread Option Offense." WVU's attack has been revolutionary -- just like "Coach Rod." That's why Alabama wanted him. And that's why Florida State may get him when Bobby Bowden retires.

2. Jim Leavitt, South Florida. Another gem from the Bill Snyder coaching tree, Leavitt is the personification of an old-school, hard-driving coach who really doesn't given two rips what anyone thinks about him. Just get out of his way and let him coach. It's a thing of beauty. If USF wins the Big East this year, don't be shocked -- but thank Leavitt.

3. Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville. Few believed he could make Tulsa football matter. He did -- and then some. Now, some doubt if he can maintain the high standard that Bobby Petrino set in Derby City. Not me. Kragthorpe is an ideal mix of NFL savvy and college acumen. Plus, he's a swell guy who has the right priorities.

4. Greg Schiano, Rutgers. Do you believe in miracles? I do now after watching Schiano turn Rutgers from a punch line into a punchy program. And by rebuffing overtures from the big boys, Schiano is intent on continuing to "chop wood" in Jersey for the long haul. It's gonna be fun to see how big he can make this program.

5. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati. His career reminds me of Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione, another brilliant mind who slowly worked his way through the coaching backwaters. Sit back and watch Kelly make the Bearcats roar. The problem? He'll likely be poached by a Big Ten school in a few years. I wonder if Michigan knows about Kelly?

6. Dave Wannstedt, Pitt. Wanny finally looks like he's home. Of course, he is, coaching at the school and in the town that forged that crooked grin. He knows defense, and he has infused talent into the program. But it's time to start delivering the goods with West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers stealing the headlines. Pitt is a proud program that ALWAYS should be good.

7. Randy Edsall, UConn. After eight years on the job, Edsall needs to take this program to the next level. But, golly, I get the feeling he has driven the Husky bus as far as he can. And Rutgers' rise only ratchets up the pressure on Edsall. Let's call this a "critical" season for the "Father of I-A UConn Football." Yeah, that sounds about right.

8. Greg Robinson, Syracuse. It has been sad watching the Orange go from college football royalty to homecoming fodder. Robinson hasn't stopped the slide. Oh, the defense has shown promise, but the offense has been, well, awful. It's time for Robinson to start weaving some of the magic he learned as an astute NFL assistant.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=197843

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

I hope the TSN love fest for USF continues ... I keep them up to date with my thoughts.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt #2?!?!?!...well, ok ok.  I guess Rich Rod. is ok... ::)

But after this year, who knows.  I like the slip about BE Champs... ;)

• Content Count:  1,479

Funny, last year there was some poll that had CJL ranked 7th or 8th in the conference.

• Content Count:  172

I still have my TSN College Preview issue from last year. Our coaching staff was ranked sixth in the conference. I do not think CJL all of sudden turned into a better coach, he has been good since the day he was hired. The so-called experts that write for magazines are always just blowing hot air, and make thier evaluations on who is the flavor of the month. However, I do agree with them that CJL is a top coach in our league, but I will not think less of him next year, if we do not live up to our preseason hype(when it comes).

It is surprising to see that Greg Schiano is fourth. The media was all the rage with him last year. He must have gotten worse over the off season.

• Content Count:  808

Whoa, check this out. (From one of the responses to the article):

Big East coaches

Posted by 3peatTrojans on Mon Apr 16, 2007 08:37 pm

Say what you will but I think the Big East has the best collection of young coaches in the nation. I read one comment that asked about Leavitt being so high, I would have at #1. Not to take anything away from Rich. I just think the job that Leavitt has done might be one of the greatest coaching/building from scratch jobs that we will see during our generation. I heard there is a movie/documentary coming out about the 10 year plan of Leavitt. Which he pretty much made come true.

When you take away from Jim, remember that less than 15 years ago, they didn't even have a football program and they are in the same state, recruiting with Miami, FSU and Florida.

Rich would rank just as high, I just wanted to show that Jim has every right to be up there at the top.

To me, Randy Edsall is the most underrated. Record notwithstanding, Schiano was 22-47 before this past season. Edsall is a very intense coach and will either turn the UConn bunch around or he will end up an Asst. Coach at a bigger school.

Schiano is a great young coach, but where are all the cynics? He had one good year out of 7. I'm really not taking away from him. I am saying from a non-biased fan's point of view, Schiano is going to need to do more than have one good season compared to 5 bad ones and 1 average one.

I don't know that I disagree with ezcardfan, Kragthorpe will have a chance to make his name with one of the most talented teams in the nation. As someone who isn't very fond of Petrino, I can say that I will be picking Louisville to win the Big East this season and a big reason is Kragthorpe. If he was able to get Tulsa into the rankings just think what he will do with all the talent at Louisville.

• Content Count:  2,726

Generous USC Trojan Fan...pretty awesome post!

...maybe I'll go to Grad School there one day.  ::)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

bear in mind that since last year several coaches have gone on to other conferences or the NFL. Others like Wannstedt had terrible seasons when they were expected to be competing for the top.

Also-- we did pretty well in the conference itself. The ranking is fair if not a bit higher than it might be justified at this point. Getting credit for building a program should not impact overall coaching itself imo. FOr all we know, any of those coaches could have done a similar job of program building and I am thankful that we had someone as great as Leavitt leading our efforts all these years and hopefully many more to come.

• Content Count:  624

What's this movie/documentary thing about?

Archived