• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NOW I AM MAD..... THE ORACLE IS A RAG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

What's the point of wearing any shirt?  It's clothing.  It would be nice to have an unlimited supply of shirts for the team of our choice, but not everyone does.

::)

DP... that was weak.  C'mon.  We're talking about wearing another schools shirt on campus.  If it's just clothing, then why not wear a generic shirt?  What's the point of wearing another schools shirt on campus... are you trying to tell everyone that you are a fan of that school? Really... what's the point?

Do you remember your HS days?  Would it be normal to wear a shirt from another HS?  What message are you trying to send?

"It would be nice to have an unlimited supply of shirts for the team of our choice, but not everyone does."   But someone has enough shirts of another school?  DP!!!! C’mon.  It’s not like all of us wear school shirts everyday.

If some student wearing a UF or FSU shirt on campus is enough to get you all crazed, that's a sign of an inferiority complex and it should be checked out.  Seriously, I'd use my energy on better things than a shirt you wear on an average day such as bringing more people to games.  Hell, even if they decide to wear the wrong school's colors there(which is dumb IMO), at least they are there helping build the fan base.

Well... if that's how UCFers handle it, then fine.  However, I'm not putting up with that BS.  Not at my alma mater.  I have no problem with people wearing other school colors outside of campus or outside a school event to support that team (whether it's because you grew up following them or because your great-grandfather went there).  You support who you want.  However, like I said, what is the purpose of wearing a non-USF shirt on campus? What's the message?  What's the point?  I would never wear a Duke shirt on USF's campus or a USF event... the same thing if I was at Duke.  I give respect to that university and the people who attend/work/teach at that school.  It's a slap in the face wearing/showing school colors of another university on campus.  

I will continue to call out people who do it.  I’m not in the minority, nor is UCF (ask them).

Sorry, but you’re in the minority with this subject.

USFan, I've got a question for you. Not coming at you or anything, just an honest curiosity: Now that you attend Duke, do you ever wear USF gear on campus? I ask because that's always been my criticism to the "never ever wear another school's clothing on campus" camp: I realize ht's not the situation of the young lady that wrote the article, but I've got degrees from two universities and now work at a third. I've got all sorts of fan material from both of my alma maters in my office at work, and occasionally wear their paraphernalia to work following a big achievement or before a big game or something to show support. When I attended USF, the same applied for my undergrad institution, and as I put it then, I wish a mfka WOULD tell me there was something wrong with that. Just curious if you're repping for the Bulls--even on campus--in Durham.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

High school?  High school transplants are not nearly as plentiful as college ones.  There are so few, I can only think of USF's Mike Ford as an example.  He spent 2 years at my old high school(well after I left) and then transferred to the rival high school for his final 2 years(I guess there was more satisfaction when he got owned in the state playoffs by his old school, but I digress).  I don't think you really can compare high school to college because A..There are so many high schools, B..The tradition of college is much deeper than high school and C..Gators Suck(thrown in for good measure).

When people transfer... they transfer.  I'm talking about current, right now situations.  It would be dumb to wear a shirt from another school on the campus/school that you are currently attending.

When I was at USF, I wore an OSU Outback Bowl shirt.  My reasoning?  The Outback Bowl is 15min down the road, so it's a local game.  That and I didn't want to wear any shirts that sport my school.

This is different from what I'm saying.  You don't attend USF and you were just "visiting."  My friends all went to the Duke campus to walk around when they came to visit me when USF played UNC.  They had USF gear on...  not an issue.

The issue is when you are attending THAT university and you are wearing different colors on that campus.  That's what I have a problem with.  There is no reason for that.  Again, I am not saying you cannot support other schools (you support who you want), but make sure that those colors aren't on campus.

Also, at this time of year, where a school like UF is on the verge of a national title(or after they won in football), people who cheer for them outside of campus(like you would for Duke if at USF) come out of the woodwork and wear those colors.  At that point, you just have to bite the bullet and deal with the onslaught for a couple of weeks.  That's why I don't like Florida schools winning because all the closest/fairweather/bandwagon fans come out of hiding like little roaches.

And that is fine... just stay off campus with those colors.  No reason to do such a thing.  However, if I was still a student at USF, and I saw blue and orange, I would call them out (and I have when I was still there).

Seriously, I understand why anyone would be upset about wearing the wrong colors on campus.  All I'm saying is that energy should be used to help promote the school in a good way instead of condemning people.

Well, unfortunately, I am not near USF right now, but would if I was.

USFan, I've got a question for you. Not coming at you or anything, just an honest curiosity: Now that you attend Duke, do you ever wear USF gear on campus? I ask because that's always been my criticism to the "never ever wear another school's clothing on campus" camp: I realize ht's not the situation of the young lady that wrote the article, but I've got degrees from two universities and now work at a third. I've got all sorts of fan material from both of my alma maters in my office at work, and occasionally wear their paraphernalia to work following a big achievement or before a big game or something to show support. When I attended USF, the same applied for my undergrad institution, and as I put it then, I wish a mfka WOULD tell me there was something wrong with that. Just curious if you're repping for the Bulls--even on campus--in Durham.

I try not to, drummer.  I have though, but because I needed to.  There have been some cold days up here and at the time, I only had USF sweaters/jackets.  But believe me; everyone at my program knows I'm a Bull first (just from conversation, etc.).   I have a USF license plate and I have a USF Alumni sticker on my car (I also have a Duke sticker).  I also think it's different for grad students and people that have a direct affiliation to another university (like in your case).  I also don't have problems with faculty and staff members that wear them, since it would be fine at any other job (and for those people, working at USF, etc. is there job).  You could "tell" that they are not students and they have to be on campus to work or something.

The problem that I have is this.  The students that attend USF and come out in FSU, UF, and UM colors and belittle USF.  I have seen it happen before.  "USF sucks my balls... go GATORS!" is one example.

I can add a million other cases (OK, maybe 20 more).

I would never belittle the school that you I am currently attending.  I had a former roommate that did and I gave him hell for it.  He finally transferred to UF to be closer to other friends... but in his case, he was a UM fan.

I just think it's simple to just avoid wearing other colors on campus.  If you are a USF student (say an undergrad) and you are randomly wearing a UF shirt on campus.... then I HAVE a problem.

And like I mentioned... I wouldn't wear a Duke shirt on USF's campus when I am visiting (say in the middle of the summer).  That would be random and not necessary.

I try my best though... if Duke won a national title and I was planning on being at the USF campus the day after (and I was planning on wearing a Duke shirt that day), I would make sure that I had an extra shirt to wear before stepping on campus.  ;)

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I try not to, drummer.  I have though, but because I needed to.  There have been some cold days up here and at the time, I only had USF sweaters/jackets.  But believe me; everyone at my program knows I'm a Bull first (just from conversation, etc.).   I have a USF license plate and I have a USF Alumni sticker on my car (I also have a Duke sticker).  I also think it's different for grad students and people that have a direct affiliation to another university (like in your case).  I also don't have problems with faculty and staff members that wear them, since it would be fine at any other job (and for those people, working at USF, etc. is there job).  You could "tell" that they are not students and they have to be on campus to work or something.

The problem that I have is this.  The students that attend USF and come out in FSU, UF, and UM colors and belittle USF.  I have seen it happen before.  "USF sucks my balls... go GATORS!" is one example.

I can add a million other cases (OK, maybe 20 more).

I would never belittle the school that you I am currently attending.  I had a former roommate that did and I gave him hell for it.  He finally transferred to UF to be closer to other friends... but in his case, he was a UM fan.

I just think it's simple to just avoid wearing other colors on campus.  If you are a USF student (say an undergrad) and you are randomly wearing a UF shirt on campus.... then I HAVE a problem.

And like I mentioned... I wouldn't wear a Duke shirt on USF's campus when I am visiting (say in the middle of the summer).  That would be random and not necessary.

I try my best though... if Duke won a national title and I was planning on being at the USF campus the day after (and I was planning on wearing a Duke shirt that day), I would make sure that I had an extra shirt to wear before stepping on campus.  ;)

USF has some grad programs that would draw UF undergrads there after graduation.  Now, I keep extra shirts in my car just in case(of rain or other reasons), but it's in my car and that doesn't travel with me around campus.  If a grad student, who still has strong loyal ties to their undergraduate school wears a shirt of that school to their grad classes, is that bad?  If it is, I'll probably be in trouble very soon.

As for verbally belitting the university, that's a different story and there I agree with you.  I've worn OSU shirts on the UCF campus many times, but I definitely don't go verbally going to everyone saying how OSU is better than UCF because I say so.  Me wearing that shirt is no big deal.  If I did out of spite towards my undergrad school, that is a big deal.

USF has some grad programs that would draw UF undergrads there after graduation.  Now, I keep extra shirts in my car just in case(of rain or other reasons), but it's in my car and that doesn't travel with me around campus.  If a grad student, who still has strong loyal ties to their undergraduate school wears a shirt of that school to their grad classes, is that bad?  If it is, I'll probably be in trouble very soon.

Not my point...

As for verbally belitting the university, that's a different story and there I agree with you.  I've worn OSU shirts on the UCF campus many times, but I definitely don't go verbally going to everyone saying how OSU is better than UCF because I say so.  Me wearing that shirt is no big deal.  If I did out of spite towards my undergrad school, that is a big deal.

My point...

Glad you understand.

The End.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I only have USF apparel and will never wear anything from any other school.  :GoBulls

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  478

It's just a shirt.  It's not like she's tattooing something on her arm to support UF.  I just think you all are getting a little carried away.

Ummm... did you read my post? Of course its not "just a shirt" geez louise people. Just the fact that it caused so much hullabaloo signals that this topic is tapping into something worth talking about.... and for the last time, its not just a shirt. Personally, I think everyone (if they havent already) should write the Oracle  about this. We need to set a good example for the current students and let them know that their alums think behavior like that is unacceptable.

And by the way, I teach at a Big 10 and I have Bulls stuff in my office (and wear stuff around town), but I would never wear my USF stuff to teach students. I don't want to alienate them further (I am already the out-of-place southerner).

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  478

I also want to add that during football season, if the Bulls lose (hopefully that wont happen very often this season) -- I dress entirely in head to toe black to show my angst.  ;) and my students always know why.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I also want to add that during football season, if the Bulls lose (hopefully that wont happen very often this season) -- I dress entirely in head to toe black to show my angst.  ;) and my students always know why.

That's funny.  I don't remember any of my old teachers doing anything like that.  I did make sure to give my old Physics teacher, who is from FSU a hard time whenever the Seminoles lost.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. [highlight]The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. [/highlight]You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

Who made these rules?  Being a fan is NOT a sport.   Being a fan is NOT based on legal stipulations.  I also don't think USF winning the Big East will make my Electrical Engineering degree look any better to a company that might want to hire me.  Maybe if I was getting my degree in athletics?  I understand that you guys want all the students to like USF sports.  I do, too.  But it will change with time and winning, not being an a-hole to everyone that grew up supporting another team first.  We need all the fans we can get.  

If we have an amazing season, starting by beating Auburn, then perhaps we pick up all the bandwagon fans.  I don't think Miami sold out every game last year.  It's the same at every school.  If we win consistently people will figure it out.  I try to talk to fellow USF students at my job and they have no clue what is going on with USF, but they sure know what is going on with respect to the national media attention and their other FL schools.  They laugh at the bowl games we go to.  It's just casual fans and bandwagons fans, that's how they are.  Deal with it.  Not everyone is like you.  Try to promote, be positive, tell people about Mike Ford (I play football on campus every week and hardly anyone I play with knows about him), but there is no reason to attack people that are not like you.

Let people support who they want.  Being a fan is not a job for most people.

your right, I forgot we live in a day and age that loyalty is a thing long forgotten