• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NOW I AM MAD..... THE ORACLE IS A RAG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

I'll repeat, she's gone to hoops games recently .... Do you realize what kind of elite group THAT puts her in right there???

Well she is a student, so she is closer to campus than many alumni.

It still puts her in the less than 1% portion of our student population. If

I went to every home BB game when I was a student, except for the few December games when I had to go home for Christmas, and I even went to the home games when I lived off campus.

Things are a little different for alumnus who live an hour away even when driving on the log jam that is known as I-275.  If the team was competitive, then I would make the trek up to the Sun Dome.  The past few seasons have been a guaranteed kick in the nuts once conference play started, even when we were in C-USA.  If I wanted to endure an hour of knee-shots to the groin, then I would call my ex.  At least I can fight back in that situation.   :D

But that's exactly my point, why in the hell would you go to ANY current hoops games unless you're more than just a casual fan? What she's doing with the wearing of colors is not right but she's not some Gator b*tch taking up student slot here. I imagine the vast majority of student "fans" start out like her, with other allegiances, when they come here and the good ones eventually come all the way over to the Green and Gold. The ones who never give up their other colors are the ones this vitriol needs to be aimed at not some poor lass who has had to sit through recent hoops games and was present at our first football shutout EVER....   ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, first of all, I think you guys need to separate athletics and academics.  You should go to a University based on academics, not sports.  I went to UF a year even though I was never a fan of them growing up.  Why?  I'm an EE major and they have the best Engineering school in the state.  I chose to transfer because of personal reasons.  Btw, I grew up an FSU fan and wore my FSU shirt to the UF-Miami game while I attended UF that year.  Nothing happened to me.  It's not the freaking end of the world.  

Anyway, after I transfered here it took me awhile to come around to being a bulls fan.  I've since stopped wearing FSU stuff ON CAMPUS, but there is no reason I can't support FSU when I want to.  It's a free country.  There is no harm there.  FSU has some good programs such as journalism and dancing, but most people will know it is the football and perhaps basketball team I am supporting when I wear the shirt.  I have friends that wear shirts from random schools all the time (not even in FL, just shirts they have collected).  

I really don't see what a big deal it is.  My room has a combo of FSU and USF stuff.  When I went to the FSU-NC State game 2 years ago I wore my FSU shirt.  When USF played NC State that same year I wore my USF shirt.  Kinda sucked that both FSU and USF lost to NC State that year, but what ya gonna do?  Well, hate NC State, but that's another topic.  Anyway, if USF and FSU played of course I'd wear my USF shirt.  I don't think you guys would know I'm a fan of FSU besides these topics about being fans of other schools.

Most people are bandwagon fans.  It's just the nature of sports.  It's not a big deal.  If we get more support, what do you care if they also like another school?  If I went to EVERY home football game last year, some basketball games, and some women's basketball games, what do you care if I'm going?  I think some of you need to calm down.

I'd like to point out that supporting the team you grew up supporting is the OPPOSITE of being a bandwagon fan.  It's also natural to support the school you go to, but I'll take anyone that will support USF, regardless if they still have a #2 team.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  478

Here is what I posted. I am a proud alum (and a legacy after all) so I HAD to post something. Lets see if they print/post it...

"I am also an alumna of USF (so is my father) and I really think Ms Tiberia is misguided, although well intentioned. She is young and is clearly involved with USF activities (she is a writer for the Oracle and although that might not seem like a big deal to some people out there - it does take time and dedication).

With that said, I would like to point out that it is the visual that structures how we see the world. It is the little things we really take for granted that really make an impression. Things like school pride come about because of things we see and feel (memorable spaces, great experiences, sports victories) but also by things we don't see (students showing support for other institutions, apathetic student body, etc). Wearing clothing that is not your college is not just disrespectful - it helps create an ethos on campus that does not promote school pride.

How important is school pride? Well, if you compare it to a larger problem like HIV in Africa or drunk driving- not so much. But when it comes to competing for the best and brightest in the state - school pride and a sense of place is essential. If you take a moment to recognize that USF is probably considered the 3rd best public institution in the state of FL (out of 11)- school pride is extremely important.

From an admissions/academic perspective, USF competes with students who apply to UF, UCF, FSU, etc... Students we  want to enroll usually will want to be in an environment that will help them have memorable experiences and help them get a job. School spirit and a strong alumni base is what attracts students to colleges like UF and FSU. And guess what, we wont have a strong alumni base if we cant give these kids a great experience while they are in college. Its hard to feel like you are a Bull if your fellow Bulls think its ok to walk around on campus in a Gator shirt.

Its really very simple. School pride and positive college experiences = fondness of one's alma mater = support for USF after one graduates = more alumni $$$ coming in and more people at sporting events = which allows USF to compete with the likes of UF and FSU on the NATIONAL and local levels.

Its not difficult. Ms Tiberia, wearing that thing does more harm than good. Its that simple. Now put that thing away till winter and promise to only wear it south of Kennedy."

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  44

There are so mnay reasons as to why someone is a fan of a team/school... And for more reason then one, soemtimes people can not attend that school..

I must say i am surprised bobcat has not come on here telling everyone how they are wrong and they have to root for a team team based on these rules..

Anyway, I am a die hard buckeye (as most of you know), but def root for usf...

I dont feel like righting an essay, so ill sum it up liek this,

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I have to agree with those that have a problem with this article. To clear up a few things that seem to be getting mixed up in the debate few seem to be complaining about having a "second" team to root for, I myself was born and raised a wolverine and I am still a huge wolverine fan. To the parents here mentioning the raising of kids as a Bull there is no doubt this will be the case but at the same time if that child goes to another school a mutual appreciation should take place. My father who lives in tampa has become a big fan of the Bulls and will join me for a game when he can dressed in bulls gear and when I visit he is just as likely to have a USF shirt on as he is a Michigan shirt. I of course will wear Michigan shirts when I go to his place to root his team on as well, this is just the way things are.

Now that being said there are two things that I especially take offense to in this article. First, there is a HUGE difference between wearing another team's shirt on campus or off campus, there is absolutely no way a true fan of a school would have the nerve to wear another school's shirt on campus...sorry but that is being a traitor. Second, not only is this so called fan wearing an opposing schools clothes on campus but she feels the need write this long and rediculous article in our own school paper trying to convince other students that it's ok. Great, not bad enough that she does this but she has to try and promote this to everyone else as ok? Sorry NOT ok.

And as far as the comparison of her vs the local papers...I also see a big distiction between the school paper and a student author and a city paper that the only connection is proximaty. I wish the local papers had more support but I certainly DEMAND they my own **** school paper would support our school.

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  44

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

Well my wolverine friend... U have an opinion and i respect it, but i do disgaree...

I dont feel like making a long post about this because i feel i will just get attacked... But, guys we need to realize the only fact about being a fan is that there are no rules or guidlines to who u are supposed to like, no matter what any tells u..

I went to a large portion of usf bball games(stormed the court against nd), and some football games... But even if i get a degree from usf, the south florida bulls football team will never even come close to my heart as the buckeyes.. and thats just something i cant fight...

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  486

Wow, I see a lot wrong here.  Starting with this article ending with retarded being used in a post, some of us may have someone in our family that is retarded.  I can think of many, many different ways to get that point across......................................JUST WRONG

Well my wolverine friend... U have an opinion and i respect it, but i do disgaree...

I dont feel like making a long post about this because i feel i will just get attacked... But, guys we need to realize the only fact about being a fan is that there are no rules or guidlines to who u are supposed to like, no matter what any tells u..

I went to a large portion of usf bball games(stormed the court against nd), and some football games... But even if i get a degree from usf, the south florida bulls football team will never even come close to my heart as the buckeyes.. and thats just something i cant fight...

There is being a "fan" and then there is being a student/alumn. Your right, being a fan has no rules but supporting your school is more than just being a fan of your school. Just like you have friends and you have family, you can pick your freinds but your family is your family and there would be something wrong if you don't put family first. But then you did choose the buckeys....   :)

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I read that article too when it got posted on another board.

I recently spent the day wandering around the USF campus.  Out of a combination of respect and the desire to not have to put up with any crap that day, I chose not to wear any Florida based college clothing and wore an old Outback Bowl shirt instead.

While it sucks that our schools have many UF and FSU legacies..and UM groupies, it's going to take a good generation or two to be able to build that large, loyal base.  Calling someone a "traitor" for still cheering for the team they cheered for growing up is rather unfair and in many cases, inaccurate.  I cheer for my childhood team still and wear apparel I own, but I go to many of my school's sporting events and would put my school in front of my childhood team in any event.

Putting the girl on trial Salem style is ignorant.  Just accept that it takes time to build a UF like fan base and move on.

And Bullheaded, there is nothing wrong with the Buckeyes. ;)