• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

THIS IS the question for 2007 football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  161
  • Days Won:  0

We all know what an impact MG made last year. He was our offense most of the year. He carried the team with his legs the first half of the season. The Defense played well  (and even great late in the season) because they knew what MG could do with the ball. There's no way to overstate what MG did for the entire team in 2006.

Now the world knows about USF's QB. So what's next? Do we put a lid on lightning in a bottle and go with a more traditional ground attack? This is where MB hands off the ball and then watches the play. Do we make MG a tackle to tackle pocket passer in the hopes we can protect him?

Or, will we let MG do what he does best-read the play and make things happen with his legs and then his arm??  We will be discussing this all season I'm sure.

ANSWER: When you have a strength like MG he is your feature offensive weapon. Don't expect him to be the best passer in the league. But, he is the most effective WINNER in the Big East when he is left to use his football senses and when the team is depending on him to make plays.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Grothe is effective because he is a "true" spread QB.  He's not a pure pocket passer.  We run the spread offense.  We have recruited the players and athletes that we feel can play in this offense.  We aren't going to change the offense.  I think what you will see this coming year I a bit of a more balanced attack.  You won't need Grothe to carry as much of a load because we will have more options on the ground.  the more options on the ground, the more effective Grothe can be because the opposing D cannot key just on him.  Look at the options that WVU has.  White a greeat running QB.  Slaton the feature back and Schmidt the FB.  When he had to throw, White was effective. Now throw in our receiving options and a few more wrinkles that can be opened up with a more dynamic running game and it should be successful.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

agree, the reality last year was, that we had no one in the running game that could break a big 40-50 yd td run. So the D could concentrate n stopping MG from running. IF with Ford and the rest we have a legitimate guy that can break a huge run then it makes our offense and MG evenmore dangerous.

We will find out at the Auburn game because our RBs will not have the clout after the Elon game to scare Auburn. So they will be stacked to stop MG, this will be prime time for our RBs to show what they can do and make them pay.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^yes...bring out the RBs...

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

Let Grothe do what he does best. He is a GREAT college QB. With his ability to run, throw, and make those decisions, he could lead a team to a championship. I think it will be even more effective with upgrades and health at the RB position. He's too short to be a pocket passer, and I think it will take away from his value. It's not often you find someone special like this, so you have to let him play his style since in college football there seems to be more leeway in doing so.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Hmm... If you post a question and provide the answer within the same post....does that mean we should all just observe your conversation with yourself...or should we call for some kind of therapy?  :D

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Smart, aren't we?   ;D

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,471
  • Days Won:  25

IF the running game is as we think it will be, play action off some of the runs we expect to see.

You have the linebackers and probably a saftey up to stop the run...

GO BULLS!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

I expect Grothe to have nearly 1,000 more passing yards, while maitaining a strong ground game - about 500 yards.

Also expect a 1,000 yard rusher.

Our Defense will be a Top 10 unit. Too much talent on the 2-Deep.

Go BULLS !!!