• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Auman Quotes McCullum and Calhoun

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

logo.gif

USF's desires unrequited in effort to attract coach

Pelphrey stays put; McCullum says he would have declined job if he had known about Big East move.

By GREG AUMAN

Published March 27, 2007

TAMPA - In a span of 24 hours, two of the top known candidates for the USF men's basketball coaching vacancy politely said they weren't pursuing the job, with Winthrop's Gregg Marshall and South Alabama's John Pelphrey telling a Big East school they'd rather stay and coach in the Big South and the Sun Belt, respectively.

As the Bulls and athletic director Doug Woolard continue their search, the lure of coaching in the Big East is one of the biggest draws. At the same time, the lingering question is whether USF's position near the bottom of the tough 16-team league may be scaring coaches away.

Just ask Robert McCullum, who was hired from Western Michigan in 2003 when USF was still in Conference USA, then found out six months later that the Bulls were moving into a much tougher neighborhood.

"If I had known we were going to the Big East, I wouldn't have taken the job," McCullum admitted Monday, 17 days after he was fired with two years left on his contract. "I was confident we would have success in Conference USA, there was no question in my mind. But when we moved into the Big East, we had the biggest mountain to climb."

The same mountain still awaits his successor, and even after USF's 4-28 mark in two years in the Big East, one of the league's most successful coaches thinks the Bulls can win. When Woolard contacted Connecticut for permission to speak with associate head coach Tom Moore, coach Jim Calhoun encouraged him to pursue the position, telling him there was the potential for success.

"I've always felt South Florida has a chance to be good in this league," Calhoun said last week. "It's a tough job, and winning today is becoming more and more difficult, but it's definitely not a dead-end job, and it's not the worst job in the league, not by any stretch of the imagination. There's room for teams to rise if you can get the right guy."

Calhoun is the Big East's long-term model for optimism for struggling schools. The Huskies went 3-13 the year before he took over in 1986, and he went 13-35 in his first three seasons but went on to win two national championships.

He points to other more recent models, from the proven mid-major coach and the high-level assistant route. In 2002, Richmond coach John Beilein took over a West Virginia team that went 1-15 in league play, and in his third season, the Mountaineers reached a region final in the NCAA Tournament. That next season, Kansas assistant Norm Roberts took over a St. John's team that had gone 1-15, and he's improved each season from 3-13 to 5-11 to a 7-9 league record this season.

Woolard could turn in either direction, and this week's Final Four in Atlanta is essentially a job fair for coaches interested in new challenges.

That said, the athletic directors for five successful mid-major coaches - Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery, George Washington's Karl Hobbs, Charlotte's Bobby Lutz, Holy Cross' Ralph Willard and Butler's Todd Lickliter - all said Monday that they hadn't been contacted by anyone from or representing USF to request permission to speak with their coaches.

Woolard could be using a search firm to deal directly with coaches, but he could be choosing from a group of former Big East coaches turned analysts, such as Fran Fraschilla St. John's, Pete Gillen (Providence) and Mike Jarvis (St. John's), who all have been linked to the USF job.

And there's the possibility of unexpected additions to the pool of potential candidates. When Stan Heath was fired Monday despite winning 20 games and taking Arkansas to the NCAA Tournament, he was asked specifically about one job - USF's - but said he hadn't thought about specific schools. "I haven't pursued anything. I'm not aware of anything."

Former Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton, who is helping Woolard with his search, compares this USF job to the one he took in 1968 at Alabama, which had gone 3-15 in the SEC the previous season.

"People told me, 'You're crazy to take that job,' " said Newton, who would win 211 games at Alabama, including an SEC record of 85-23 over a six-year span. "But the perception of a job doesn't always become the reality of what a job can be."

[Last modified March 27, 2007, 00:11:58]

Link

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

I had supported crm but after reading that quote i am def glad he is gone. I want a coach that is up to any challenge which includes moving to any elite conference.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

"If I had known we were going to the Big East, I wouldn't have taken the job," McCullum admitted Monday, 17 days after he was fired with two years left on his contract. "I was confident we would have success in Conference USA, there was no question in my mind. But when we moved into the Big East, we had the biggest mountain to climb."

Now I am really glad we fired him. What kind of competitor is this guy? Chicken spit if you ask me. Lets her someone try to defend RMC after this comment.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  261

this is the very reason why crm is able to make these comments. He couldn't get the job done so the job did him.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That quote kinda surprises me, but on the same note... you have to understand what was going through his mind at the time too.  It doesn't seem like he said "Oh chit... we're going to the big east?  **** it, we're screwed"  He handled it like he should and it just didn't work out for him.  

His comment does kinda have a bitter ring to it, but if that is the most bitter thing that comes out of his mouth... it isn't all that bad.  

I just hope it doesn't help scare more coaches away.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Well I'm not the only one that felt CRM was not a Big East coach, he felt the same.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292

Can't believe he would say that...just proves that he wasn't the right man for the job.  What a cop out!  Blaming our lack of success on the fact that he didn't plan on going to the Big East.  Your telling me that at no time did he think or even have conversations with faculty before he was hired or even after he was hired that we had a goal of hopefully getting into a BCS conference?  Who in the right mind wouldn't want to be in a BCS conference.  

If you can't play with the big boys get out of the f'ing kitchen.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Guys, timeout. I think you are overreacting to what CRM is saying. He came in with a 5 year plan to turn USF into a winner. I do not think that part of that plan was a shift to the Big East with the opportunity to get pummelled by traditional powers night after night. If he had known we would be in the BE by 2005, I think he would have naturally had to rethink the job. W's and L's are what all coaches are judged by. Why would he want to commit career suicide and come to a program that would not be in a position to win consistently because of the realities facing it? I think his point is more likely to be that there were other options out there that, on their face, did not seem more desireable than the USF position at the time he was hired.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

you guys need to relax. done any risk analysis lately? All RMC is saying is that if he had known we would be joining the BE then he wouldn't have taken the job. I don't blame him.

The risk was so much higher than the reward. Nobody in their right mind would have taken a job in the BE with a mediocre CUSA program and mediocre CUSA pay.  Hell nobody wants the job now and we are upgrading salary and possibly more.