• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Take another candidate off the list...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah any word on Stan Heath??? A sports producer friend out in Arkansas just left me a message asking cuz he heard it as well.  Anyone else hear anything about it???

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Pelphrey might be holding his breath in the slim chance that Donovan runs to UK. He might be a top candidate for the UF job.

Pelphrey is going to be a great coach, I just wish it was here.

I agree he's going to be a great coach.  But USF probably isn't the best place for him.  Shoot, it isn't the "best place" for anyone.  We may be in the big east, but there's nothing out there for a new coach coming in to grasp onto in this job.  It's like asking a premier sales person to go to work for a company with no resources.  No budget, no attendance, no facilities, no tradition and no recruiting inroads.  The person who is going to excel at this job is going to have to be one heck of a dreamer to convince recruits that he's going to "build something" and they "want to be a part of it".  It's a harder sell than Leavitt ever had.  He's going to need to be a guy with a ton of energy who is almost borderline crazy.  Kinda like the guy from the movie WE ARE MARSHALL.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I guess my take for a younger, up and coming coach or one looking to make a name for himself is different than most around here.  I see the USF job as a no lose situation.  This is not a game to these guys.  This is a career and their job.  How is the USF job not an attractive one when you have the opportunity to lock in a job for probably for at least 5 to 7 years at probably $400,000 to $600,000 a year more than you are making now.  The program is run down and there is no where to go but up at this point.  Hell, all you need to do is win at least 4 more games than last year and you will probably be a hero here.  make the Big East Tournament at this point and you are an instant hero.  Make the NCAAs and you become a legend.  Where is the risk???? You can't it done?  So what.  You can just blame it on "being the hardest job in America".  Geez, Seth doesn't look to be doing so bad.  Where is the risk??

Man, if this were a corporate position and I was offered this type of scenario I wouldn't be able to sign the papers fast enough.  This is the type of situation that is a dream for any coach wanting to make a name for himself.  

This is absolutely a no lose situation.  The program can't drop any further than it is now.  You can only go up.  Not a bad situation to be in and make about half a million more than you are making now.  Look at it from a business perspective and it becomes clear.  It's a job to these guys.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

"There is no spoone" - the Matricks

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Usfgrad, you are right to a certain degree.  But as you said, it's a career and the way these guys land big paydays is to strike when the iron is hottest.  For a guy like Pelphrey at his stage in his career, if he tanks at USF for 4-5 years; he's going to be pretty much "done".  He'll have to go backwards before he goes forward again which means turning around a smaller program and another 5 years off his life at which time he'll be 50.

Vs. if he stays put and takes a situation with a greater chance of success or he keeps doing great in his current situation and a big program takes a chance on him.  Remember, a guy like JP can win 20+ games a year once they get the program on the right track and live a better quality of life here in Mobile than taking a nightmare of a situation like USF for slightly more money but mountains more stress.

It all depends on what the man values most;  the "dollar" or the "lifestyle".  That's why you see guys like Marshall and JP turning the job down.  It's not like these guys are poor!  Unless they have insane spending habits, $300K a year is plenty of money to build a comfortable happy lifestyle where everyone treats you like a king.

Vs. coming here and getting a few years of great money only to have the message boards full of threads demanding you be fired.  Trust me, you can bet the family and friends of these candidates do quite a bit of research on these schools INCLUDING MESSAGE BOARDS and when they see thread after thread calling for the head of the coach who wasn't given the tools to succeed; it's not hard for them to put their husband, son, dad, best friend in being in that position.  And if you don't think these people have a big influence on these folks; chances are you haven't been married or had a family.  There are things worth more than money.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

He is going to have to hire someone who doesn't hae a job and has nothing to lose.

harricks.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

I think USF hasn't really had a good coach in a long long time.

Right, the ACC is really tearing Seth a new one.

Mark my word, no matter who is hired, the guy is going to win next year.....

It is going to take a long time to get over how bad of a hire RMC was.

Well, which is it??

Do you actually take a second to put your thoughts together before posting or is it a stream of consciousness type thing?

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

Pelphrey might be holding his breath in the slim chance that Donovan runs to UK. He might be a top candidate for the UF job.

Pelphrey is going to be a great coach, I just wish it was here.

Donovan won the NC last year and is in the Final Four again this year. Could end up repeating. Why in the hell would he want to take a step back to go to UK? Normally, UK would be a step-up. But, not presently.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No, I don't think he'll go, but the fact that he just does the coach speak always leaves the door cracked. I'm just saying that might me the reason why Pelphrey could be shying away.